+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The holiday thread

Re: The holiday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Second largest city and by far the more laid back than Athens (which I love and where I have family) but I'd say that Thessaloniki is much less touristy and has better food and tavernas. More Balkan in feel and you'll probably want to be eating out there around 21:00 as it's a lovely temp. in the evenings. That coastline has some of the best beaches in Greece. Funnily enough, Mrs CN is doing the night half marathon there on early October so we're off later in the year - she's training for the Marathon, Marathon in 2023!. There's some great walking (but tough) in the mountains which I used to do back in the day. These days, I'd rather do the boat trip too which'll be lovely! Fresh seafood, you can't go wrong whenever you get the chance.

The history is less classical than Athens but rich and obviously, as you mentioned, Ottoman but there's Roman sites too. Even modern history of the area is fascinating though not to everyone's taste (circa 2017 - 45).

Shame about PAOK. It's a different football experience that's for sure. My ideal game would be PAOK v AEK Athens and I'd love to take that in one day. The Toumba stadium is like an Amphitheatre.

The Aegean is just gorgeous KoB, you'll love it. If I think of anything more I'll let you know.
    👍👍👍

Fairplay to Mrs CN! That sounds incredible, all the best to her.

In the space of a few months I read a book by Robert Kaplan called ‘Balkan ghosts’ that piqued my interest, particularly the early 20th century history of the city, and another book by Owen Hatherley called ‘trans Europe express’ that had a chapter on the city. I knew of cities in Eastern Europe that had sizeable Jewish populations (Lviv, Brest, etc) but just wasn’t aware of Thessaloniki’s. Not long after those two I came across a memoir in a charity shop called ‘farewell to Salonica’ by Leon Sciaky about him growing up in that period. All made me want to visit some day so glad to now be ticking it off.

PAOK v AEK would be a tasty tie! Some of the pics from that ground look mad fairplay.

Going to Cyprus for 2 weeks in September. First week east, second week west. First visit so any recommendations gratefully received

Long Beach Island, NJ. Two hour drive. Can't beat it.