+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No one park outside my house, it's for my car!

International

Re: No one park outside my house, it's for my car!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Are new homes in the UK being built with attached garages? There are lots of homes in the United States that have no garages, but they are old homes. Pretty much any house built since 1970, and perhaps since 1960, has at least a one-car garage and more likely a two-car garage. Three-car garages are not that unusual anymore, either.
    Bigger ones are, but no one uses a car they are either converted to a little narrow room but mostly filled wih junk in the UK. They do consider parking now though and most have drives.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i dont understand this there are people by me that leave valuable cars out on the roadside and keep the recycling in the garage
    Gym stuff , Tumble drier , ladders etc etc.

I can get one car on the drive one across the drive.

Looking to tarmac part of the front lawn if/when parking on pavements becomes illegal. Garage is too full.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I don’t do or say anything as you’re right that noone has the right, but it’s a big bugbear, irritates the £&@“ out of me. I think Moreso because on the other side of the street opposite my house there is tonnes of space which is also unrestricted

So I personally don’t park outside peoples houses because i find it rude but resist the urge to peoples wing mirrors off who do
    Why is it rude to park on the road in a place designed for parking? As long as the car has been taxed, MOTd and insured it has every right to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I think most "inner" Cardiff is as you say, but I think the vast majority of satellite estates are 60s or later.
    My area was built in the 80s, and most have a garage and short drive. Most households don't use the garage, some have converted them to extra rooms and leave cars on drives. But there's no room for street parking, and the roads are not wide enough to park on both sides so there's loads of pavement parking.
    There's been some newer houses built in the last ten years, costing a fortune, and still developers think along the lines of one car per house, no visitors.
    I'm pretty sure developers are following regulations as the Welsh government look to improving public transport usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Looking to tarmac part of the front lawn if/when parking on pavements becomes illegal. Garage is too full.
    look at " grass grids " for your lawn, get it in green and when the grass grows through it, you cant see the grid, its great stuff for parking the car on occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    look at " grass grids " for your lawn, get it in green and when the grass grows through it, you cant see the grid, its great stuff for parking the car on occasionally
    Ok cheers will take a look. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes. Loads get converted. Ive got a garage. Havent put a car in it for at least 10 years.
    We moved into one of four new built semis in 2009, all with integral garages. None of the households has ever put a car in the garage since they moved in. All used for storage, bikes etc.

If mine was empty (apart from boiler and water tank) I could get my car in, (a 2 door convertable that doesn't convert any more) but wouldn't be able to open the doors!

They were building integral garages in the noughties for Morris Minors!

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Why is it rude to park on the road in a place designed for parking? As long as the car has been taxed, MOTd and insured it has every right to be there.
    You’re right rude is the wrong word. Inconsiderate definitely. My street is probably out of the norm because there’s hardly any space the side of the houses but generally
    Something the other side where there are no houses. So when it’s tipping down and I get back with the kids and a boot of shopping, I’ll think to myself that the person parked in front of my house to save 50p parking is an inconsiderate c%#+ then get on with it. I agree that it’s perfectly legal and you’re not doing anything wrong, but that doesn’t make it right and personally I choose not to park outside someone else’s house if I can help it

I used to put my car in the garage. but since I was disqualified after a stroke, its's been filled with junk. My mrs couldn't park a car in it if her lifde depended on it.

Surely it was a dull enough comment not to have to be labelled “joke”
    Bloody snowflake (this is also, a joke)
    I do wonder why there are so many disabled bays at supermarkets. If they all turned up at once, it would look like Michael Jacksons thriller video !

You’re right rude is the wrong word. Inconsiderate definitely. My street is probably out of the norm because there’s hardly any space the side of the houses but generally
    Something the other side where there are no houses. So when it’s tipping down and I get back with the kids and a boot of shopping, I’ll think to myself that the person parked in front of my house to save 50p parking is an inconsiderate c%#+ then get on with it. I agree that it’s perfectly legal and you’re not doing anything wrong, but that doesn’t make it right and personally I choose not to park outside someone else’s house if I can help it
    but what if you can't help it? are you then inconsiderate because you have parked in front of someone else's house?

I really don't get this attitude that "its my house therefore the space in front of it should be classed as mine even though its in the public realm".

but what if you can't help it? are you then inconsiderate because you have parked in front of someone else's house?

I really don't get this attitude that "its my house therefore the space in front of it should be classed as mine even though its in the public realm".
    if you can't help it, then obviously that's different. We have neighbours who have visitors over etc, they've got to park somewhere. But it does irk when its to save 50p from parking in town.

On that note though, ours is unrestricted, but what's the point in 'residents only' areas (practically all of Cardiff), if there's not some fundamental notion in society that people who actually live there, should be able to park there? Surely if you're right then that should all get scrapped

if you can't help it, then obviously that's different. We have neighbours who have visitors over etc, they've got to park somewhere. But it does irk when its to save 50p from parking in town.

On that note though, ours is unrestricted, but what's the point in 'residents only' areas (practically all of Cardiff), if there's not some fundamental notion in society that people who actually live there, should be able to park there? Surely if you're right then that should all get scrapped
    Residents only parking can be a bit of a nightmare, especially if you are going to have visitors. From what I garner, and this may not be entirely factual, but this tends to be the districts that surround the city centre. From this we can deduce that its to stop people parking and then walking into town.

Residents only parking can be a bit of a nightmare, especially if you are going to have visitors. From what I garner, and this may not be entirely factual, but this tends to be the districts that surround the city centre. From this we can deduce that its to stop people parking and then walking into town.
    So from that it would be fair to say that Cardiff council agree that people shouldn't get blocked from parking outside their own house by people who don't live in that street.
    Finally something I agree with them about!