FFFFRRREEEEDDDOOOMMM.....

Re: Wee Jimmy Krankie is off again

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    In 2020/21, per capita £ government spending on services :
    13,166 England
    14,842 pounds in Scotland
    14,222 pounds in Wales
    15,357 pounds in Northern Ireland

SNP are liked because there Scottish , independence is itw theme ,masking the real job ahead of a government , I'm unsure it carriers the same voting appeal .

Ask Nicola what currently will she trade with and where she would sit with NATO defence commitments.
    The SNP aren't liked because they are Scottish??? Why anyone would want to leave a Union based on that conclusion is baffling!

I think my problem with nationalism of any type, even the 'cuddly' type espoused by Scottish and Welsh nationalism is that it seeks to divide people who have everything in common along the lines of a map. I get the fact that the Scots hate being ruled by Conservative governments they never vote for but so do the people of the North of England, only they don't get to cut and run because they live on the wrong side of the border. And where does it end? If in 30 years time the Tories get elected in Scotland what then? Does Glasgow become independent? Or Shetland?

What the nats never acknowledge is that the problems of ordinary working people are not caused by the working people of another country, they are caused by the ruling class. Simply swapping one set of rulers for another without any real structural change wont solve any of those problems.

As an example, was the life of ordinary black people made much better for having Obama as President? A lot of people of colour thought that if they elected one of their own as President, then it was pretty much a guarantee that things would get better for them but they didn't. The reason for this is that other than a bit of tinkering around the edges, Obama did nothing to change the power structure in America, so the exploiters were allowed to go on exploiting. I see a lot of parallel with the Scots, who feel that they're bound to be better off with one of their own in charge. As far as I can see, the SNP are still absolutely wedded to the same economic system thats been merrily screwing over working people for the last 40 years so in reality, very little will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I think my problem with nationalism of any type, even the 'cuddly' type espoused by Scottish and Welsh nationalism is that it seeks to divide people who have everything in common along the lines of a map. I get the fact that the Scots hate being ruled by Conservative governments they never vote for but so do the people of the North of England, only they don't get to cut and run because they live on the wrong side of the border. And where does it end? If in 30 years time the Tories get elected in Scotland what then? Does Glasgow become independent? Or Shetland?

What the nats never acknowledge is that the problems of ordinary working people are not caused by the working people of another country, they are caused by the ruling class. Simply swapping one set of rulers for another without any real structural change wont solve any of those problems.

As an example, was the life of ordinary black people made much better for having Obama as President? A lot of people of colour thought that if they elected one of their own as President, then it was pretty much a guarantee that things would get better for them but they didn't. The reason for this is that other than a bit of tinkering around the edges, Obama did nothing to change the power structure in America, so the exploiters were allowed to go on exploiting. I see a lot of parallel with the Scots, who feel that they're bound to be better off with one of their own in charge. As far as I can see, the SNP are still absolutely wedded to the same economic system thats been merrily screwing over working people for the last 40 years so in reality, very little will change.
    Top post.