+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wee Jimmy Krankie is off again

Re: Wee Jimmy Krankie is off again

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The difference between us and them is there is a very strong independence movement , backed up by votes , in Scotland

Thankfully , from my point of view it's not the same here
    Foreign rule has served us well hasn't it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Excellent. Then we should be telling pensioners that their contributions don't matter as everything they receive is paid for by current tax payers.
    Yes tell them that they don't matter for current pensions, but thank them for building the country in the past and paying the Pensions for the oldies back in the day

The point is she wants to pick and choose the best of everything, she wants to take the oil and gas for Scotland so the UK can't have any benefit, then for the rest of the UK to pay her pensioners, she can get stuffed!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Foreign rule has served us well hasn't it.
    Isn't Wales the lowest revenue from tax per population in the UK?

If so how would that work if we were independant?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely if they've paid their NI into the UK pot, they should be entitled to it?
    They are entitled to it but there is no 'pot'. What is collected this week in NI payments goes out next week in pension payments, it has been so since the day it was started. In fact the pay out now is more each week than the income because people live longer, so in theory if Scotland leaves there will be no lump sum for them to be entitled to and should be less extra money going out each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Totally agree with you. The political landscape of the UK is unrecognisable from 2014. Labour has no mandate in Scotland. We've left the EU. NI is a mess. We have an English Nationalist Prime Minister and government.

Welsh Labour will not be able to ally themselves to a Starmeresque PLP (nor should they) if it's Tory-Lite. I really don't know how Welsh people can support this current crop of Conservatives and government as they hold us (Wales) in complete contempt. Starmer campaigning for a UK will just backfire in Wales and NI as it already has in Scotland.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Scotland to have another vote. There shouldn't be any limit on the number of times. Anyone who argues against this argues against democracy itself. More voting is a good thing. More people voting is a good thing.

The Sennedd should have greater power. Westminster's style of government is ancient. Unfit for purpose. Invoking Henry VIII powers says all you need to know about its ability to support and respect the people who vote for our MPs. Don't even get me started on the The Lords.

Cyril makes great point about the border issues and the EU's attitude towards us. However, it's much more likely that in order to keep the UK in one piece, we'll have to embrace EU membership again. In a lot of respects, it would solve many problems (providing Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast keep their national governments).

Yes, the 'Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party' made themselves look right dicks as does anyone who wants to weaken the democracy of their country, speaks ill if the Senedd or even actively supports its abolition.

I've said many times, I'm not into Nationalism. I've now had enough of flags and anthems. I'm much more concerned about people's power to decide for themselves and for that reason independence appeals. Independence doesn't mean nationalism. F*ck it. I'd even like to see an independent Grangetown!
    Westminster holds Wales in such contempt they're set to overturn Welsh legislation because they don't like it.

You're quite right, independence doesn't mean nationalism. It's apparent that, politically, England, Wales, NI and Scotland are three distinct countries and it's probably better for them to have these debates over independence

I notice in the most recent poll, 25% of Welsh people back independence, up to 32% when discounting "don't knows". That's a significant jump from where that issue was not long ago and I can't imagine Johnson's "muscular unionism" is helping the unionist cause much

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Westminster holds Wales in such contempt they're set to overturn Welsh legislation because they don't like it.

You're quite right, independence doesn't mean nationalism. It's apparent that, politically, England, Wales, NI and Scotland are three distinct countries and it's probably better for them to have these debates over independence

I notice in the most recent poll, 25% of Welsh people back independence, up to 32% when discounting "don't knows". That's a significant jump from where that issue was not long ago and I can't imagine Johnson's "muscular unionism" is helping the unionist cause much
    Isn't Wales the lowest revenue from tax per population in the UK?

If so how would that work if we were independant?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Said with a straight face somehow.
    Because it is true. Aside from anything else, they have tax raising powers that they don't use, but blame Westminster for austerity.

This is public spending by country. "Westminster holds Wales in contempt" sounds like nationalist tub thumping that doesn't stand up under even the lightest of scrutiny.

Wales £12,889
    England £11,783

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...fings/sn04033/

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they resolved the situation, they vote NO, what you mean is resolve the situation in a way the SNP want it resolved

I guess its the tag line " once in a lifetime " giving the impression the public had one shot at it " in their lifetime ", little did they know it meant " a chance to vote the way we want you to, incase you dont get it, thats YES, if we dont get the vote we want, we keep on voting till we do " , easy mistake to make though
    So we just focus on the semantics? What is the actual issue with holding a regular referendum with a threshold of say 55%?

Should the next general election be a final once and for all decision on who the government should be?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    This is public spending by country. "Westminster holds Wales in contempt" sounds like nationalist tub thumping that doesn't stand up under even the lightest of scrutiny.

Wales £12,889
    England £11,783

Nice try at deflection there Mr J. There's no tub-thumping going on. I know you like your links so here's another one for you https://nation.cymru/news/not-right-...-military-aid/

The BTL comments are very revealing too. Yma o Hyd.

Nice try at deflection there Mr J. There's no tub-thumping going on. I know you like your links so here's another one for you https://nation.cymru/news/not-right-...-military-aid/

The BTL comments are very revealing too. Yma o Hyd.
    1/ It's not deflection. Someone who holds someone else in contempt doesn't give them significantly more funding than the person they supposedly represent.

2 / I think someone saying that Westminster holds Wales in contempt is tubthumping. There's no real justification for that strong word. It's wholly designed to be divisive.

3 / I think my statistics trump your article, given that they refer to all public spending. Your's refers to a specific payment to the Ukraine. When the UK govt announce extra spending on English hospitals, then Wales' gets the corresponding amount, to spend as it wishes. I see no issue here really, although it should all be done in agreement, but I doubt Wales or Scotland would agree.

4 / I'm proud that Wales is militarily supporting Ukraine. Our share of £1bn towards weapons against Putin will go further than a Ukraine flag on a facebook profile. It also probably makes economic sense, as the Ukraine-Russia war is severely damaging all western economies, including ours in Wales.

1/ It's not deflection. Someone who holds someone else in contempt doesn't give them significantly more funding than the person they supposedly represent.

2 / I think someone saying that Westminster holds Wales in contempt is tubthumping. There's no real justification for that strong word. It's wholly designed to be divisive.

3 / I think my statistics trump your article, given that they refer to all public spending. Your's refers to a specific payment to the Ukraine. When the UK govt announce extra spending on English hospitals, then Wales' gets the corresponding amount, to spend as it wishes. I see no issue here really, although it should all be done in agreement, but I doubt Wales or Scotland would agree.

4 / I'm proud that Wales is militarily supporting Ukraine. Our share of £1bn towards weapons against Putin will go further than a Ukraine flag on a facebook profile.
    After your reply to me on the other thread I've no wish to discuss anything or have anything to do with you. Just ignore my posts please and I'll do the same to yours.

Wales £12,889
    England £11,783

From the report you've linked: "For Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the data include spending by the
    devolved administrations but also spending in these countries by UK
    Government departments. For example, the Department for Work and
    Pensions is responsible for social security spending throughout Great Britain.
    So, for example, DWP spending on social security in Scotland is included
    under Scotland in the tables below.
    These figures show the amount of money that was spent in each country and
    region; however, this does not reflect the process of allocating money in the
    first place. Spending is first divided up among the Government departments
    in Spending Reviews every few years, and it is then up to each department to
    decide what to spend this money on
    Parliament has no direct role in allocating spending"

I wonder if there may be some ideological differences between governments that could lead to more spending?

Funding of course isn't the issue I raised, it was the UK government intending to scrap Welsh legislation. As you didn't mention that I can only assume you agree with me that overturning another parliament's legislation is treating it with contempt? Good stuff.

After your reply to me on the other thread I've no wish to discuss anything or have anything to do with you. Just ignore my posts please and I'll do the same to yours.
    I hope you feel better after lunch.

Perhaps if you don't like being called racist, you shouldn't run around calling other people the same? There's an idea. Use logic instead.

From the report you've linked: "For Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the data include spending by the
    devolved administrations but also spending in these countries by UK
    Government departments. For example, the Department for Work and
    Pensions is responsible for social security spending throughout Great Britain.
    So, for example, DWP spending on social security in Scotland is included
    under Scotland in the tables below.
    These figures show the amount of money that was spent in each country and
    region; however, this does not reflect the process of allocating money in the
    first place. Spending is first divided up among the Government departments
    in Spending Reviews every few years, and it is then up to each department to
    decide what to spend this money on
    Parliament has no direct role in allocating spending"

I wonder if there may be some ideological differences between governments that could lead to more spending?

Funding of course isn't the issue I raised, it was the UK government intending to scrap Welsh legislation. As you didn't mention that I can only assume you agree with me that overturning another parliament's legislation is treating it with contempt? Good stuff.
    I'm in favour of devolution, and of increasing powers to the senedd, and of increasing numbers of MS's. I also don't think Westminster should overide senedd decisions, although these things can be complex and would need to know the whole story.

I'm not, on balance, in favour of independence. I'm probably 80%-20% against.

I'm 100% against nationalists whipping things up and dividing people by alluding to Westminster (read England?) holding Wales in contempt when there is very little justification for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

Should the next general election be a final once and for all decision on who the government should be?
    No, because its not a "" once in a lifetime " vote and not a every 5 year general election, but you knew that

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I cant listen to the lady ..

She us worse than Boris in debt every year ,scandals , poor management of thier government..

What better tactic to adopt than Boris's make headlines elsewhere about crap and ingore domestic issues , now Covid has gone First Minsters are anonymous..
    At least she can string a sentence together.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Be a disaster when they leave and the SNP after realising their only real aim and policy disintegrate quicker than ukip.

Echo chamber up there, similar to Welsh labour here. All start believing their own BS.

At least in Westminster you have two parties who go at it, call each other out, generally provide balance even if they are both shit.
    As soon as they leave they'd just govern - there's no reason for them to be a UKIP

Don't blame them, if I were Scottish after 12 years of declining living standards under the tories and brexit I'd chance my arms at something else as well. If they succeed I expect they'd try and join the EU as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Don't blame them, if I were Scottish after 12 years of declining living standards under the tories and brexit I'd chance my arms at something else as well. If they succeed I expect they'd try and join the EU as soon as possible.
    The SNP do dispute the GERS figures, but they show a income / expenditure gaps of 15bn. Percentage of GDP wise, this is far greater than the EU would tolerate for membership. It would also lead to the kind of austerity Scotland has never before seen. Or a massive rise in taxes to combat it, with the corresponding risk that brings.

There are arguments in favour - in terms of energy, Scotland could become an absolute powerhouse with a low population and access to oil, wind, and even some sun. Generally speaking though, it's an incredible risk. I certainly wouldnt take it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-53917226

No, because its not a "" once in a lifetime " vote and not a every 5 year general election, but you knew that
    Only because someone decided that. What is the logic behind that being the case?

You should go back in time to 2017 and tell that to Theresa May.

In 2020/21, per capita £ government spending on services :
    13,166 England
    14,842 pounds in Scotland
    14,222 pounds in Wales
    15,357 pounds in Northern Ireland

SNP are liked because there Scottish , independence is itw theme ,masking the real job ahead of a government , I'm unsure it carriers the same voting appeal .

Ask Nicola what currently will she trade with and where she would sit with NATO defence commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    In 2020/21, per capita £ government spending on services :
    13,166 England
    14,842 pounds in Scotland
    14,222 pounds in Wales
    15,357 pounds in Northern Ireland

SNP are liked because there Scottish , independence is itw theme ,masking the real job ahead of a government , I'm unsure it carriers the same voting appeal .

Ask Nicola what currently will she trade with and where she would sit with NATO defence commitments.
    now do spending on infrastructure per capita