International

Wee Jimmy Krankie is off again

Our idiot will be next

Re: Wee Jimmy Krankie is off again

She keeps on about “you’re voting NO, but you mean YES”

No No No Yes

The difference between us and them is there is a very strong independence movement , backed up by votes , in Scotland

Thankfully , from my point of view it's not the same here

I love this Phil Bennett quote..
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon.

If this vote goes ahead, I think the Scots will vote to leave the union. Can’t say I blame them.

I’m not sure independence would work out better for Scotland compared to being in the UK but I don’t see why people are so up in arms about them holding a second referendum 10 years after the previous one. We’ve had 3 general elections in that time and there’s a not insignificant chance we’ll have had a 4th before the next Scottish Referendum.
    Considering how much has changed since the last vote (mainly Brexit) why shouldn’t the 600,000 new people now of voting age since the last vote not get a say in their future?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’m not sure independence would work out better for Scotland compared to being in the UK but I don’t see why people are so up in arms about them holding a second referendum 10 years after the previous one. We’ve had 3 general elections in that time and there’s a not insignificant chance we’ll have had a 4th before the next Scottish Referendum.
    Considering how much has changed since the last vote (mainly Brexit) why shouldn’t the 600,000 new people now of voting age since the last vote not get a say in their future?
    They want to join the EU, and still take their pensions from the UK governments pot?

They'd be bancrupt in ten years!

subservient bootlickers and their views eh

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Our idiot will be next
    Maybe it was prompted by that kent of a bloke in Westminster saying he wants to stay power well into the 2030 - w22ker that he is

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They want to join the EU, and still take their pensions from the UK governments pot?

They'd be bancrupt in ten years!
    Surely if they've paid their NI into the UK pot, they should be entitled to it?

If i was Scottish, i’d rather take a gamble on independence, than be continually governed by the Conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The difference between us and them is there is a very strong independence movement , backed up by votes , in Scotland

Thankfully , from my point of view it's not the same here
    I can quite understand that, in terms of the union, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have far less power, even combined, than England has on its own. In essence we are governed by England, given money to spend by England, England tells us what we can decide for ourselves in the Senedd. Politically, England is far different to the other countries and there's barely been an election where the votes of the other countries has made a difference. Some will say that England, being by far the biggest country, should have most of the power and say, but it's also understandable that some in Scotland and Wales will want more control over their countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I can quite understand that, in terms of the union, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have far less power, even combined, than England has on its own. In essence we are governed by England, given money to spend by England, England tells us what we can decide for ourselves in the Senedd. Politically, England is far different to the other countries and there's barely been an election where the votes of the other countries has made a difference. Some will say that England, being by far the biggest country, should have most of the power and say, but it's also understandable that some in Scotland and Wales will want more control over their countries.
    I dont think that you quite grasp how a general election works. The votes in all four countries aren't separate, they are all added together to give an overall result for the whole of the UK. Hence the term ‘general’. It always makes me laugh when people like Nichola Sturgeon or Mark Drakeford come on tv after a general election and claim that Wales chose to be governed by Labour and rejects the Tories or Scotland voted for independance because their parties got more seats in their particular area. Er no ….. its not a country by country vote. The whole of the UK is split into constituencies and the WHOLE of the UK decides who governs the WHOLE of the UK. Thats what democracy is. Each country is then given some additional powers to run itself via assemblies voted for by the people of each country but what is devolved is decided centrally by the Government that the whole of the UK voted in. Simple really but some people don't like it.

Can't we just invade them now, isn't that the in thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I dont think that you quite grasp how a general election works. The votes in all four countries aren't separate, they are all added together to give an overall result for the whole of the UK. Hence the term ‘general’. It always makes me laugh when people like Nichola Sturgeon or Mark Drakeford come on tv after a general election and claim that Wales chose to be governed by Labour and rejects the Tories or Scotland voted for independance because their parties got more seats in their particular area. Er no ….. its not a country by country vote. The whole of the UK is split into constituencies and the WHOLE of the UK decides who governs the WHOLE of the UK. Thats what democracy is. Each country is then given some additional powers to run itself via assemblies voted for by the people of each country but what is devolved is decided centrally by the Government that the whole of the UK voted in. Simple really but some people don't like it.
    I think the point is that if those countries were independant they could get a government that reflects the wishes of their populations, rather than one that is foisted on them by people in the south east of England.

To be fair, that's not how a general election works either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think the point is that if those countries were independant they could get a government that reflects the wishes of their populations, rather than one that is foisted on them by people in the south east of England.
    Well said. Also true of the Brexit vote and Northern Ireland, where 56% of the population voted remain and look at the mess that's since caused.

You are correct that the whole of the UK decides who governs the whole of the UK. I haven't suggested anything else.

I will repeat myself as you seem a bit slow on the uptake here, but if you looked at virtually any general election over the last 100 years or more, took away the votes from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the overall result would have remained unchanged, meaning the overall vote from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland has not mattered in the grand scheme of things.

You clearly aren't interested in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland having more of a say in how they run their own countries. To you, we're all one UK. That's fair enough, it's up to you. But surely you can see why those in the smaller countries don't think that set up works best for them in terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Well said. Also true of the Brexit vote and Northern Ireland, where 56% of the population voted remain and look at the mess that's since caused.
    I think I calculated that, as long as England's voters voted 55% for either one of the outcomes, the rest of the UK's voters could have voted 100% the opposite way and still lost.

Be a disaster when they leave and the SNP after realising their only real aim and policy disintegrate quicker than ukip.

Echo chamber up there, similar to Welsh labour here. All start believing their own BS.

At least in Westminster you have two parties who go at it, call each other out, generally provide balance even if they are both shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Last referendum was 8yrs ago. Was once in a generation. A generation isn't 8,9,10yrs, it's a lot longer. If they had another now and lost, a few years down the line they'd want another, and another until it won. Similar to Wales who won the Assembly vote with 51%. If that had been 49% we would have kept having further referendums until it won. Once in, we never get another vote to scrap them unfortunately.

I think I calculated that, as long as England's voters voted 55% for either one of the outcomes, the rest of the UK's voters could have voted 100% the opposite way and still lost.
    I’m sure i read somewhere that Scotland are the only country in history, to have voted no when given the chance of independence. Not sure if that’s correct though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    B

At least in Westminster you have two parties who go at it, call each other out, generally provide balance even if they are both shit.
    All about opinions, but in my view the SNP have been a far more effective opposition in Westminster than Labour has (despite being only the biggest of the rest and not having Labour's opportunities).

That applied under Corbyn, and much more so under Starmer.

I wish that wasn't so, as a former Labour member (a card carrying member for most of my adult life).

International

Surely if they've paid their NI into the UK pot, they should be entitled to it?
    No it's paid for by the current tax payers, they've had back what they paid in already if they leave then it stops.