+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic fitness advice as we age ?

Realistic fitness advice as we age ?

I have lost half a stone the last 6 weeks through walking and improving my diet

But I do wonder about the advice given , especially in the men's health type magazines ?

How much are age and genetics a factor indeed are they the main factor ?

What do these experts mean by some people being hard gainers ?

I don't want to waste my time weight training at my age if it's a trivial pastime and I would be better off doing some yoga or pilates ?

Re: Realistic fitness advice as we age ?

The Wynford closing has a lot to do with heavier blokes, there was loads of weight picked up in there.

everyone's body is different, some can keep doing marathons into old age, others joints are ****ed by their 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

But I do wonder about the advice given , especially in the men's health type magazines ?

I don't want to waste my time weight training at my age if it's a trivial pastime and I would be better off doing some yoga or pilates ?
    Good for you on losing half a stone mate.

Walking is a tremendous form of exercise, and good for mental health too. Going for walks when you previously drove will only help, and as you know how long something will take, it is also less stressful.

Gentle jogs or cycle rides and swimming of course better still, but that requires more effort etc.

Doing press ups and sit ups at home are also good and doable. Sometimes it can be tough even doing two, but build up one a day and you may be surprised that within a few weeks you can do several dozen a day.

My top advice is walking though. As a society we need to do far more of it. If you don't own one, get a rucksack. It means that you can do those little shops and put it in there and walk home - all helps to make it easier to transition to walking more.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Walking is a tremendous form of exercise, and good for mental health too. Going for walks when you previously drove will only help, and as you know how long something will take, it is also less stressful.

Gentle jogs or cycle rides and swimming of course better still, but that requires more effort etc.

Doing press ups and sit ups at home are also good and doable. Sometimes it can be tough even doing two, but build up one a day and you may be surprised that within a few weeks you can do several dozen a day.

My top advice is walking though. As a society we need to do far more of it. If you don't own one, get a rucksack. It means that you can do those little shops and put it in there and walk home - all helps to make it easier to transition to walking more.
    I have some dumbells , 4kg and 6kg

I can't stand the gym and cycling , jogging and swimming is too much faffing about if you know what I mean

Sex drugs and rock 'n' roll Sludge. I intend to go out with a bang! Seriously mate. Well done with the weight loss mate, this sh*t's f*cking hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Sex drugs and rock 'n' roll Sludge. I intend to go out with a bang! Seriously mate. Well done with the weight loss mate, this sh*t's f*cking hard!
    It certainly is

Flatter stomach rather than flat stomach is my goal

Six pack ? It's buried

First Team

As we get older the advice appears to be that resistance/ weight exercise is important as we lose muscle mass with each annual leap towards the casket.

Maybe try those resistance bands to use at home which can be picked up cheaply from most sports shops or the Satan that is Amazon.

I would have thought yoga would be ideal for you but not entirely for exercise reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I concur , if you don’t like exercise walking a minimum 10,000 steps a day will be good for you and improve your mental health at the same time.

Intermittent Fasting.

16/8 schedule is easily achievable.

For me I have my first snack/breakfast with a cup of coffee at 10am, then lunch anytime that is convenient and a nice meal 5-6pm.

Then only water from 6pm to 10am

If interested here are two reputable Doctors discussing the science behind it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6U...nganChatterjee

Obviously life gets in the way sometimes, Birthday meals / Weddings ect.
    it is important not to let it make you socially awkward!

But If I can stick to it at least 5 days a week I am happy.

I have even chucked a 24 hrs fast in the mix sometimes (normally a Sunday if I do not have much on)

I always suffered with overeating and snacking all day every day.

The biggest light bulb moment for me, was to learn that it is okay to be hungry sometimes, you are not going to die, and it passes in a few hours and you feel great for it.

How old are you sludge?

There's no science involved for the majority of us whenit comes to losing weight and getting fitter. Eat less shit, curb the booze, and move more. Well done Sludge on your weight loss and getting fitter.

Well done mate and my advice is, don’t overthink it. Find something you love doing that benefits your health and do it. I hear people say they are dragging themselves to the gym, I train in the gym because I love it. If I didn’t I wouldn’t do it.

Don’t read magazines like Mens Health and all that bollox. Try things and find out what works for you mate

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Well done mate and my advice is, don’t overthink it. Find something you love doing that benefits your health and do it. I hear people say they are dragging themselves to the gym, I train in the gym because I love it. If I didn’t I wouldn’t do it.

Don’t read magazines like Mens Health and all that bollox. Try things and find out what works for you mate
    Agree, These magazines may help if you take the basics out of them, but they can weigh people down with science which is intimidating for people who just want to get a bit healthier. Spot on with just trying things that you enjoy. It's pretty simple, move more, eat less, and when you do eat, make it healthy for the best part.

As you know, I have retained my youthful physique and remarkable good looks (and modesty too!) so I know what I'm on about. Look you, isn't it.

You need to decide what you want; to be fitter, lighter or both then plan how and by when you wish to meet your goals. It's important to set a realistic target. Whether it's achieved will be entirely down to your level of self-motivation.

Many who diet aim to get within the 18.5 to 25 BMI range. Calculate what your BMI is at today here: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

I believe that their ideal range is dangerously low. When I got within it several years ago I looked and felt ill. 35 rather than 25 is what you may wish to aim for.

There would be some negatives attached. New better fitting clothes, especially trousers, would have to be purchased.

Walk farther and faster for longer would be my advice. If on streets find ones with inclines, the steeper the better. Try hills and mountain walks too during these temperate months.

Elbow all greasy grub. Replace with fruit and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Intermittent Fasting.

16/8 schedule is easily achievable.

For me I have my first snack/breakfast with a cup of coffee at 10am, then lunch anytime that is convenient and a nice meal 5-6pm.

Then only water from 6pm to 10am

If interested here are two reputable Doctors discussing the science behind it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6U...nganChatterjee

Obviously life gets in the way sometimes, Birthday meals / Weddings ect.
    it is important not to let it make you socially awkward!

But If I can stick to it at least 5 days a week I am happy.

I have even chucked a 24 hrs fast in the mix sometimes (normally a Sunday if I do not have much on)

I always suffered with overeating and snacking all day every day.

The biggest light bulb moment for me, was to learn that it is okay to be hungry sometimes, you are not going to die, and it passes in a few hours and you feel great for it.
    That would be very difficult for me mate

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    How old are you sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's no science involved for the majority of us whenit comes to losing weight and getting fitter. Eat less shit, curb the booze, and move more. Well done Sludge on your weight loss and getting fitter.
    2 and a half stone to go

I think mens health is just trying to sell magazines because the blokes in there are already ripped which is something many of us cannot achieve even if we put the hours in

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Agree, These magazines may help if you take the basics out of them, but they can weigh people down with science which is intimidating for people who just want to get a bit healthier. Spot on with just trying things that you enjoy. It's pretty simple, move more, eat less, and when you do eat, make it healthy for the best part.
    Take aways have been my downfall for years

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    As you know, I have retained my youthful physique and remarkable good looks (and modesty too!) so I know what I'm on about. Look you, isn't it.

You need to decide what you want; to be fitter, lighter or both then plan how and by when you wish to meet your goals. It's important to set a realistic target. Whether it's achieved will be entirely down to your level of self-motivation.

Many who diet aim to get within the 18.5 to 25 BMI range. Calculate what your BMI is at today here: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

I believe that their ideal range is dangerously low. When I got within it several years ago I looked and felt ill. 35 rather than 25 is what you may wish to aim for.

There would be some negatives attached. New better fitting clothes, especially trousers, would have to be purchased.

Walk farther and faster for longer would be my advice. If on streets find ones with inclines, the steeper the better. Try hills and mountain walks too during these temperate months.

Elbow all greasy grub. Replace with fruit and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
    Fancy a stroll this evening

Be discreet

Fancy a stroll this evening

Be discreet
    Only if you promise faithfully to wear a vest with no visible food staining.

PS. I'll supply the lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Only if you promise faithfully to wear a vest with no visible food staining.

PS. I'll supply the lube.
    I wanted to discuss politics

There will be no smutty nonsense

I think mens health is just trying to sell magazines because the blokes in there are already ripped which is something many of us cannot achieve even if we put the hours in
    Unless you want to start jabbing, very unrealistic body image.

Unless you want to start jabbing, very unrealistic body image.
    Jabbing ?