+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Brand Tax And IIts Margin

As we see theextra prices rise on products like Heinz and others in difficult times for me is morally wrong and bloody greed instead of looking at this in a short term perhaps a longer view on profit is the best way forward.

I did a basic shopping match on between Tesco Brand and Lookalike Aldis products, like tomato sauce, bread ,milk , pasta ,yogurts, breakfast cereal ,jam baked beans , etc and saved £12 ..

Re: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

never tried jam baked beans

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As we see theextra prices rise on products like Heinz and others in difficult times for me is morally wrong and bloody greed instead of looking at this in a short term perhaps a longer view on profit is the best way forward.

I did a basic shopping match on between Tesco Brand and Lookalike Aldis products, like tomato sauce, bread ,milk , pasta ,yogurts, breakfast cereal ,jam baked beans , etc and saved £12 ..
    Oh dear, oh dear. Reputable companies use brands and trademarks to convey to their consumers a particular quality of their goods and services and should enjoy a good reputation if they satisfy the consumer. Budget brands of baked beans could contain more salt or sugar, have lower quality values all round, the provenance of source materials may be questionable and hygiene processes may be inferior.
    If you buy an M & S sandwich you pay a premium but you are aware of the quality of the item. A free market permits you to choose alternative brands but to imagine that they are always identical are obviously highly misguided.
    I'm stating the bleedin' obvious really.

Comparing premium brands with Aldi lookalike ones is like comparing apples and pears.
    I’ve had this argument with my mother when she says “oh, but Aldi don’t make it themselves”.
    The difference is that own labels are usually made by white-label companies, not the premium brand ones.
    The own labels are copies, so no development costs, cheaper ingredients and no marketing costs and no risk of product failure, because the own labels only copy the more popular products and the premium brands will also sell the more niche products (eg less popular flavours of crisps).
    Whilst the premium brands might take the mick sometimes, without them, the cheaper brands wouldn’t exist in the first place.

Tesco own brand baked beans have watery sauce and fewer beans compared to Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Comparing premium brands with Aldi lookalike ones is like comparing apples and pears.
    I’ve had this argument with my mother when she says “oh, but Aldi don’t make it themselves”.
    The difference is that own labels are usually made by white-label companies, not the premium brand ones.
    The own labels are copies, so no development costs, cheaper ingredients and no marketing costs and no risk of product failure, because the own labels only copy the more popular products and the premium brands will also sell the more niche products (eg less popular flavours of crisps).
    Whilst the premium brands might take the mick sometimes, without them, the cheaper brands wouldn’t exist in the first place.
    How anyone can possibly not be aware of the situation is highly..... er...let's say....bemusing.

Having tasted Tesco /Asda own brands stuff I would agree they are very poor substitutes .

However I found very little taste difference / quality of Aldi's against the better real brands

Aldi retails : Tomato Sauce 70P v £2.79 Heinz
    Seeded Bread £89P v £ £1.85 Hovis
    Baked Beans 32P v 80p Heinz
    Pasta 75P v £1.30 Napolina
    Own brand lite salted spreadable butter £1.89 v £4 Lurpack .
    Real Lemonade 39p v £1.20 Schweppes
    Welsh Strong Cheddar Cheese £2.15 v £3.50 Pilgrims Choice /Cathedral
    Filtered Semi skimmned 4 pint milk £1.09 ..v £2.10p

The branded stuff is hugely different in price but not in taste ,not worth the extra costs in my book.

You can save £20 a week on a family shop at the Lidl/ Aldi's shops and I noticed some packs are bigger in size making the saving even better

Worth a read :
    https://www.mashed.com/232679/aldi-b...the-originals/

Save some dosh try the test once ?

What I would say is when it comes to fruit and vegetables there is little or no difference except price.

I once worked with a company that markets a good proportion of the salad crop in this country. I was invited to see various stages of their growing process for iceberg lettuce. This culminated in a visit to the Fens to see the harvest.

There were five mechanised vehicles moving at a prescribed speed. At the front of each were 25 mainly eastern europeans who chopped the lettuces which were then dropped onto a conveyor belt, autowrapped and then labelled up for distribution onto waiting vehicles behind. No grading as the process produces almost uniform sizes.

I saw labels from Aldi, Lidl, Asda and Waitrose for the same product. The price differential in the shops could be almost double.

Having tasted Tesco /Asda own brands stuff I would agree they are very poor substitutes .

However I found very little taste difference / quality of Aldi's against the better real brands

The branded stuff is hugely different in price but not in taste ,not worth the extra costs in my book.

You can save £20 a week on a family shop at the Lidl/ Aldi's shops and I noticed some packs are bigger in size making the saving even better

Worth a read :

The milk comparison you made:

Was it comparing Aldi brand milk to Cravendale?

I have this discussion with the in-laws, mortgage paid and on a fairly decent pension from the police, always shop at Lidl's

we might pop around to see them, have a drink they say , the tea bags are Lidl's and my mrs hates them, she drinks PG tips, The coffee is warm and tastes a little of coffee ( I must admit, not a fair comparison as we have a bean to cup machine and fresh ground coffee always tastes better ) , the Lemonade tastes horrid ( Lidl's V the Sainer's own brand we drink ), we would struggle with Lidl's for drink

We have tried Lidl brand Baked beans, we massively prefer Branston Baked beans to a point that the Ldil's Beans ended up in the foodbank

My youngest daughter can always tell the difference between Cheese, her Fav is Cathedral City, we will occasionally buy own brand Extra mature, she can always tell the difference

We use Butterpack instead of lurpack though

so for us its a bit of a Mix, we mainly shop in Sainer's, occasionally in Waitrose ( we love the fresh almond croissants for breakfast ) then every now and then Tescos, but dont really have a strict supermarket loyalty but will have own brand stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we mainly shop in Sainer's, occasionally in Waitrose ( we love the fresh almond croissants for breakfast )
    Posh git..
    When you say "Sainer's ' do you mean Sainsbury's?
    P.S. It's Tesco, not Tescos
    😀

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Posh git..
    When you say "Sainer's ' do you mean Sainsbury's?
    P.S. It's Tesco, not Tescos
    ��
    It will be of little interest to anybody (like most of my posts on here ) that Tesco have a written policy for their brand name not to appear in company documents and information in a format that would otherwise be considered grammatically correct i.e. Tesco's sausages, Tesco's Finest, Tesco's Employment Policy etc.
    It all about protecting and not diluting the brand name and trademark i.e. Tesco.

By the way, brands are considered to be a failure if they end up being used generically by the public for products and services available from rivals in the market - as any good reputation gained originally by the brand owner becomes diluted.
    Examples being:
    Escalator, Jet Ski, Bubble Wrap and Aspirin

P. S. Heroin was also a brand name.

Tesco own brand baked beans have watery sauce and fewer beans compared to Heinz
    Branston are now the top baked beans, Heinz have removed too much sugar & salt. Likewise Hellemans tomato sauce is better.

By the way in many cases the Premium brand make the white label & vice versa.

I was listening to a salesman once bullshitting about the virtues of three different printers, they were all made by the same company just different plastics. Same now with the automotive industry, we make exactly the same part for mass production companies as RR, Bentley, Porsche etc. but they charge their customers x times more

Thinly veiled, the poor are not poor they just don’t know how to shop/budget properly.

Kellogg’s have always advertised that they don’t make cereals for anyone else.
    Even if they did, they wouldn’t simply repackage the premium product. It would be a diluted one, because the own labels have wafer-thin profit margins.
    The reason for this is that supermarkets are not relying on the own-label products to make profits. They are there to tempt you in to store, so that you buy the branded products, which have much higher margins.
    The comment about Tesco not allowing the use of ‘Tesco’s’ is standard practice for brand management across any business, which will have strict guidelines around logos, fonts and “tone of voice”, which is the language used in all their communications.

Kellogg’s have always advertised that they don’t make cereals for anyone else.
    Even if they did, they wouldn’t simply repackage the premium product. It would be a diluted one, because the own labels have wafer-thin profit margins.
    The reason for this is that supermarkets are not relying on the own-label products to make profits. They are there to tempt you in to store, so that you buy the branded products, which have much higher margins.
    The comment about Tesco not allowing the use of ‘Tesco’s’ is standard practice for brand management across any business, which will have strict guidelines around logos, fonts and “tone of voice”, which is the language used in all their communications.
    Similar to 'Kellogg's' (a brand that includes the genetive form in the first place), 'Thatchers' cider company (and whose brand name is in the genetive form despite the dropping of the apostrophe, the company belonging to the Thatcher family) refuse to sell any form of their products under any supermarket brand - and despite requests to do so.

Aww boo-hoo, the man who shows little sympathy for others having a bottom lip quiver because the price of Heinz baked beans has gone up.

Spare a thought for those who already could only afford to shop the cheapest own store brands who have seen prices sky rocket percentage wise way above the percentage increase on branded items.

You seem like the type of guy who would tell others they can make a delicious meal out of 19p per portion so suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear. Reputable companies use brands and trademarks to convey to their consumers a particular quality of their goods and services and should enjoy a good reputation if they satisfy the consumer. Budget brands of baked beans could contain more salt or sugar, have lower quality values all round, the provenance of source materials may be questionable and hygiene processes may be inferior.
    If you buy an M & S sandwich you pay a premium but you are aware of the quality of the item. A free market permits you to choose alternative brands but to imagine that they are always identical are obviously highly misguided.
    I'm stating the bleedin' obvious really.
    Whilst I agree with much of what you say (especially the M&S sandwiches!) some of Aldi’s rip offs of major brands are unbelievabley similair in taste and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Their alcohol rip offs of Peroni, Birra Moretti.etc are superb and in the case of their Rossini I think it’s a nicer lager than Peroni.

Their condiments are also very good, their rip off Bullseye BBQ sauces are identical. They must spend a lot of time and money on their research and development.

That said, I shop in both Aldi and Tesco and Aldi is no longer as cheap as it used to be in comparison.

International

Worth a read :

Tomato soup in aldi lidl is also almost identical but miles cheaper, agree with the rest you are probably better changing supermarkets for some shops (limited choice) than buying own brand watery stuff in tesco etc.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    By the way, brands are considered to be a failure if they end up being used generically by the public for products and services available from rivals in the market - as any good reputation gained originally by the brand owner becomes diluted.
    Examples being:
    Escalator, Jet Ski, Bubble Wrap and Aspirin

P. S. Heroin was also a brand name.
    Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Branston are now the top baked beans, Heinz have removed too much sugar & salt. Likewise Hellemans tomato sauce is better.

By the way in many cases the Premium brand make the white label & vice versa.

I was listening to a salesman once bullshitting about the virtues of three different printers, they were all made by the same company just different plastics. Same now with the automotive industry, we make exactly the same part for mass production companies as RR, Bentley, Porsche etc. but they charge their customers x times more
    I used to have a Land Rover Freelander from the time that BMW owned LR. It had an engine used in many BMW cars. Many spares were cheaper from BMW than from LR.

I used to have a Land Rover Freelander from the time that BMW owned LR. It had an engine used in many BMW cars. Many spares were cheaper from BMW than from LR.
    This has been commonplace for decades. I could bore you for hours about the use of common platforms and components across car marques, meaning that a Bentley will have much similarity with a Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi and maybe even VW itself for the parts that you don’t see.

International

This has been commonplace for decades. I could bore you for hours about the use of common platforms and components across car marques, meaning that a Bentley will have much similarity with a Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi and maybe even VW itself for the parts that you don’t see.
    Actually it makes sense the more common the parts the cheaper the ned product, they should do it for morst parts.

Concurring with several people on this thread we know that many branded items are sold with good reason to expect consumers to pay more for them whilst simple items like lettuces are more generic and can be purchased elsewhere.
    We also know that people will pay a premium for the kudos of a brand itself and that a sparkling wine from a plot of land 1 metre outside the legally designated Champagne region can be as good as champers but can't attract that nomenclature. (The Russians refuse to ignore such internationally recognised diktats and sell pomagne to their citizens at a £1 or so a pop).
    At the end of the day, we are free to source alternatives to major brands and have the nous to evaluate when it's sensible to do so.
    Taxing expensive brands unduly is a recipe bfor disaster (pun intended).