+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Re: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Posh git..
    When you say "Sainer's ' do you mean Sainsbury's?
    P.S. It's Tesco, not Tescos
    😀
    Not really that Posh, just love the fresh almond croissants from Waitrose, grab a free coffee from the machine, its a winner, go in my white works van and watch the faces of the elderly posh folk as I park, its a double winner

indeed I do mean Sainsbury's ( a few of my older daughters friends work in our local one ), they shortened it to " sainer's " its a habit

I always add a " s " on the end of Asda and Tesco, it winds my 2 daughters up no end, it entertains me

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    By the way, brands are considered to be a failure if they end up being used generically by the public for products and services available from rivals in the market - as any good reputation gained originally by the brand owner becomes diluted.
    Examples being:
    Escalator, Jet Ski, Bubble Wrap and Aspirin

P. S. Heroin was also a brand name.
    Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Hoover
    beat me to it I hadn't got to page 2 though

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He's right too no one buys a hoover now, it's a dyson, shark, vax or gtech.

Groceries here are outrageously expensive compared to the UK.

The big chain stores are a disgusting rip off.
    Aldi and Lidl have been making gains around here as a result, where as years ago...people were kicking off about one being opened so close to the neighborhood.

My favourite are the two local Asian Grocery Stores.
    They are a full on sensory explosion.
    Amazing Sights and Smells, often fruit and vegetables you've never seen or heard of before.

The produce seems to be of a higher standard than the big stores.
    The spices and oils are amazing.

You see an incredible diverse mix of people shopping there.
    It seems really exotic for a Suburban American Strip Mall and it is waaaaay cheaper than the dreaded big guns.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Groceries here are outrageously expensive compared to the UK.

The big chain stores are a disgusting rip off.
    Aldi and Lidl have been making gains around here as a result, where as years ago...people were kicking off about one being opened so close to the neighborhood.

My favourite are the two local Asian Grocery Stores.
    They are a full on sensory explosion.
    Amazing Sights and Smells, often fruit and vegetables you've never seen or heard of before.

The produce seems to be of a higher standard than the big stores.
    The spices and oils are amazing.

You see an incredible diverse mix of people shopping there.
    It seems really exotic for a Suburban American Strip Mall and it is waaaaay cheaper than the dreaded big guns.
    Have the semi automatics gone up in Wallmart?

Do Aldi do cheap machine guns yet in the middle isles?

Not really that Posh, just love the fresh almond croissants from Waitrose, grab a free coffee from the machine, its a winner, go in my white works van and watch the faces of the elderly posh folk as I park, its a double winner

indeed I do mean Sainsbury's ( a few of my older daughters friends work in our local one ), they shortened it to " sainer's " its a habit

I always add a " s " on the end of Asda and Tesco, it winds my 2 daughters up no end, it entertains me
    I do exactly the same thing to wind up my 15 year old granddaughter ! She gives me a withering look then shouts out "Bampi !!". Works every time lol

Oh dear, oh dear. Reputable companies use brands and trademarks to convey to their consumers a particular quality of their goods and services and should enjoy a good reputation if they satisfy the consumer. Budget brands of baked beans could contain more salt or sugar, have lower quality values all round, the provenance of source materials may be questionable and hygiene processes may be inferior.
    If you buy an M & S sandwich you pay a premium but you are aware of the quality of the item. A free market permits you to choose alternative brands but to imagine that they are always identical are obviously highly misguided.
    I'm stating the bleedin' obvious really.
    I remember a slogan Stella Artois used to employ (I'm not sure it's so pervasive now)......... "Reassuringly Expensive". Very clever I thought

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Have the semi automatics gone up in Wallmart?

Do Aldi do cheap machine guns yet in the middle isles?
    "The middle isles"
    Is this some geographic region in Lake Michigan?

If you were referring to Aisles, I will be sure to check for you next time I'm there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X32tYnr2rOk

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    The milk comparison you made:

Was it comparing Aldi brand milk to Cravendale?
    No Aldi and Lidl have thier own versions at a very decent price..

Mind you Adsa is selling Cravendale 2 pinter for a quid at moment , it's my favourite milk so refreshing 😋

Latest bargains News : Aldi 4 bars of soap 59p ..

Aldi has an extra special range the cottage pie, madras curry are exceptionally nice £3.79 I think ,and they do a nice wood fire pizza ...

Stayed tuned for bargains galore news updates .. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I remember a slogan Stella Artois used to employ (I'm not sure it's so pervasive now)......... "Reassuringly Expensive". Very clever I thought
    Especially as it never was in Belgium - it’s country of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Especially as it never was in Belgium - it’s country of origin.
    Some of those Stella Artois ads were amazing short films. The budgets they had to shoot those back then would have been hefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Some of those Stella Artois ads were amazing short films. The budgets they had to shoot those back then would have been hefty.

Edit: Had one in Verviers, Belgium recently for free on one of the hottest days as the barman took a liking to Mrs CN (does that make me a pimp?) but had another in Amsterdam a few days later which cost me an arm and a leg. I was on my own!

Edit: Had one in Verviers, Belgium recently for free on one of the hottest days as the barman took a liking to Mrs CN (does that make me a pimp?) but had another in Amsterdam a few days later which cost me an arm and a leg. I was on my own!
    I remember another ad I saw years ago which I thought was very clever. It was a photo of a Kellogg's Tomato Ketchup bottle turned on its side in mid air. It was used on hoardings. The photo was shot with a large dollop of ketchup just emerging from the mouth of the bottle. The caption read ..."actual speed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I remember another ad I saw years ago which I thought was very clever. It was a photo of a Kellogg's Tomato Ketchup bottle turned on its side in mid air. It was used on hoardings. The photo was shot with a large dollop of ketchup just emerging from the mouth of the bottle. The caption read ..."actual speed!"
    I'm a sucker for a good ad. Done well, it's art. There are quite a few good Ketchup ones. This one, I think, is awesome.

Attachment 4977

Edit: I think Heinz did a whole campaign on the speed of ketchup. Yes, I'm an anorak.

International

By the way, brands are considered to be a failure if they end up being used generically by the public for products and services available from rivals in the market - as any good reputation gained originally by the brand owner becomes diluted.
    Examples being:
    Escalator, Jet Ski, Bubble Wrap and Aspirin

P. S. Heroin was also a brand name.
    I thought the most famous was Hoover

Concurring with several people on this thread we know that many branded items are sold with good reason to expect consumers to pay more for them whilst simple items like lettuces are more generic and can be purchased elsewhere.
    We also know that people will pay a premium for the kudos of a brand itself and that a sparkling wine from a plot of land 1 metre outside the legally designated Champagne region can be as good as champers but can't attract that nomenclature. (The Russians refuse to ignore such internationally recognised diktats and sell pomagne to their citizens at a £1 or so a pop).
    At the end of the day, we are free to source alternatives to major brands and have the nous to evaluate when it's sensible to do so.
    Taxing expensive brands unduly is a recipe bfor disaster (pun intended).
    The 'verbing' of brand names/nouns is also a fascinating subject and ties in with much of this discussion. Have just googled this using Duck Duck Go as an example!

The Basics of Verbing Nouns
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 03-07-22 at 08:29. Reason: Added hyperlink

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No Aldi and Lidl have thier own versions at a very decent price..

Mind you Adsa is selling Cravendale 2 pinter for a quid at moment , it's my favourite milk so refreshing 😋
    What was the expensive brand of milk in your comparison then? It was the only item which you didn't specify the brand you were referring to.

The 'verbing' of brand names/nouns is also a fascinating subject and ties in with much of this discussion. Have just googled this using Duck Duck Go as an example!

The Basics of Verbing Nouns
    When I worked in Scotland for a few months in the late 80s my landlady used to talkabout doing the 'Ewbanking' (a 'Ewbank' being the brand of a non-electrical carpet fluff and detritus remover based on brush rollers.

P.S. It looks like you 'Duck Duck Went'.

What was the expensive brand of milk in your comparison then? It was the only item which you didn't specify the brand you were referring to.
    https://smugdeals.com/uk/deals/2016/...ale-0-99-27825

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    So it was Cravendale after all and that's from 6 years ago

So it was Cravendale after all and that's from 6 years ago
    This thread has gone a bit stale

We've come a long way since the 1950s and memorable straplines such as "you'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent"