+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Comparing premium brands with Aldi lookalike ones is like comparing apples and pears.
    I’ve had this argument with my mother when she says “oh, but Aldi don’t make it themselves”.
    The difference is that own labels are usually made by white-label companies, not the premium brand ones.
    The own labels are copies, so no development costs, cheaper ingredients and no marketing costs and no risk of product failure, because the own labels only copy the more popular products and the premium brands will also sell the more niche products (eg less popular flavours of crisps).
    Whilst the premium brands might take the mick sometimes, without them, the cheaper brands wouldn’t exist in the first place.
    Having tasted Tesco /Asda own brands stuff I would agree they are very poor substitutes .

However I found very little taste difference / quality of Aldi's against the better real brands

Aldi retails : Tomato Sauce 70P v £2.79 Heinz
    Seeded Bread £89P v £ £1.85 Hovis
    Baked Beans 32P v 80p Heinz
    Pasta 75P v £1.30 Napolina
    Own brand lite salted spreadable butter £1.89 v £4 Lurpack .
    Real Lemonade 39p v £1.20 Schweppes
    Welsh Strong Cheddar Cheese £2.15 v £3.50 Pilgrims Choice /Cathedral
    Filtered Semi skimmned 4 pint milk £1.09 ..v £2.10p

The branded stuff is hugely different in price but not in taste ,not worth the extra costs in my book.

You can save £20 a week on a family shop at the Lidl/ Aldi's shops and I noticed some packs are bigger in size making the saving even better

Worth a read :
    https://www.mashed.com/232679/aldi-b...the-originals/

Save some dosh try the test once ?

International

Re: Brand Tax And IIts Margin

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Having tasted Tesco /Asda own brands stuff I would agree they are very poor substitutes .

However I found very little taste difference / quality of Aldi's against the better real brands

Aldi retails : Tomato Sauce 70P v £2.79 Heinz
    Seeded Bread £89P v £ £1.85 Hovis
    Baked Beans 32P v 80p Heinz
    Pasta 75P v £1.30 Napolina
    Own brand lite salted spreadable butter £1.89 v £4 Lurpack .
    Real Lemonade 39p v £1.20 Schweppes
    Welsh Strong Cheddar Cheese £2.15 v £3.50 Pilgrims Choice /Cathedral
    Filtered Semi skimmned 4 pint milk £1.09 ..v £2.10p

The branded stuff is hugely different in price but not in taste ,not worth the extra costs in my book.

You can save £20 a week on a family shop at the Lidl/ Aldi's shops and I noticed some packs are bigger in size making the saving even better

Worth a read :
    https://www.mashed.com/232679/aldi-b...the-originals/

Save some dosh try the test once ?
    Tomato soup in aldi lidl is also almost identical but miles cheaper, agree with the rest you are probably better changing supermarkets for some shops (limited choice) than buying own brand watery stuff in tesco etc.