+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Qatar fails to offer World Cup safety guarantees to LGBTQ+ fans

Qatar fails to offer World Cup safety guarantees to LGBTQ+ fans

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-to-lgbtq-fans

Organisers say all welcome but leave questions unanswered
    Advocacy groups believe LGBTQ+ fans will be at risk in Qatar

Up to you footballers / governments now make the almighty real social justice gesture and don't go

Re: Qatar fails to offer World Cup safety guarantees to LGBTQ+ fans

If I were a member of the LGBT community, I’d steer well clear. The fact they have those laws, even if they are “suspended” is an insult to human decency.

Money rules and that’s why it’s in that despicable country.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-to-lgbtq-fans

Organisers say all welcome but leave questions unanswered
    Advocacy groups believe LGBTQ+ fans will be at risk in Qatar

Up to you footballers / governments now make the almighty real social justice gesture and don't go
    In fairness LOM, your stance on this one is admirable and you've consistently been vocal about your opposition to this WC which I 100% agree with (your opposition, not the WC obviously).

I particularly winced at FIFA's comment “Fans interested in an unforgettable trip of a lifetime to Qatar.... Let's hope that it's not a lifetime in a Qatari prison.

The fact that football even allowed a bid from this country and Russia whose record on these matters and others of basic freedoms and rights is bewildering .

Image the powerful message FIFA could have sent by deploying an application process for any country based on a set of agreed standards of human rights , football would easily exist financially beyond any world cup boycott ..

We still have time to move it , many countries who have the logistic access , stadiums , and supporting infrastructures .

I think Wales should be the first team to Boycott the WC - what a great message from a little country that would be.

The fact that football even allowed a bid from this country and Russia whose record on these matters and others of basic freedoms and rights is bewildering .

Image the powerful message FIFA could have sent by deploying an application process for any country based on a set of agreed standards of human rights , football would easily exist financially beyond any world cup boycott ..

We still have time to move it , many countries who have the logistic access , stadiums , and supporting infrastructures .
    Was it you who said the millions of euros that the former Qatari Prime Minister deposited in a few Fortnum and Mason bags and handed them to the heir to the throne was ok because the heir to the throne does good charities so that's ok.

I hope not. Because your latest attempt to climb on some bizarre attempt to be moralistic. given your back catalogue would look even more bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I think Wales should be the first team to Boycott the WC - what a great message from a little country that would be.
    I’d back that 100%, some things are bigger than football.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Was it you who said the millions of euros that the former Qatari Prime Minister deposited in a few Fortnum and Mason bags and handed them to the heir to the throne was ok because the heir to the throne does good charities so that's ok.

I hope not. Because your latest attempt to climb on some bizarre attempt to be moralistic. given your back catalogue would look even more bewildering.
    Some people are too dopey to realise that they are dopey.

yes! it is surprising considering FIFA's track record on being an open and honest org. I'm in shock

The USA could well be a fascist country by 2026, it’s far from a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I’d back that 100%, some things are bigger than football.
    Same

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Yes, there are inconsistencies but we should praise the good stuff.

Yep tell em to shove it

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yep tell em to shove it
    Not going to happen.

At best there will be token statements and then the jamboree will continue unhindered.

I would truly be amazed if any team actually pulled out of this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Not going to happen.

At best there will be token statements and then the jamboree will continue unhindered.

I would truly be amazed if any team actually pulled out of this event.
    You’re right, but it’s sad that money and virtue signalling are prioritised above real, practical action.

Cmon WOL - Get a campaign going and lets gauge the feeling of the nation and players.

Cmon WOL - Get a campaign going and lets gauge the feeling of the nation and players.
    I would hazard a guess that the players views will be coached by PR companies briefed with FAW/FIFA rules and regs.

Obviously no country will boycott and only a handful of fans will. It does highlight footballs rank hypocrisy though.

That said, it's a global game and like it or not, the median global position on gay rights is probably as close to Qatars as it is ours. I hope there are modest protests that don't spill over, so that Qatar can learn what it needs to do before any legal changes occur - ie, that it has nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Obviously no country will boycott and only a handful of fans will. It does highlight footballs rank hypocrisy though.

That said, it's a global game and like it or not, the median global position on gay rights is probably as close to Qatars as it is ours. I hope there are modest protests that don't spill over, so that Qatar can learn what it needs to do before any legal changes occur - ie, that it has nothing to fear.
    There's more to this though than just the gay rights, the skulduggery that surrounded the hosts bid and the loss of life and modern day slavery that's been reported of the building of the stadiums.

There's more to this though than just the gay rights, the skulduggery that surrounded the hosts bid and the loss of life and modern day slavery that's been reported of the building of the stadiums.
    I agree. I think it's absurd Qatar is hosting it. Aside from anything else, it completely fails the test of being large enough to do so, before anything else.

Agree with you as well - but the thread title is about LGBT issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Youd have to be pretty brave to protest.