+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Qatar fails to offer World Cup safety guarantees to LGBTQ+ fans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Qatar fails to offer World Cup safety guarantees to LGBTQ+ fans

Obviously no country will boycott and only a handful of fans will. It does highlight footballs rank hypocrisy though.

That said, it's a global game and like it or not, the median global position on gay rights is probably as close to Qatars as it is ours. I hope there are modest protests that don't spill over, so that Qatar can learn what it needs to do before any legal changes occur - ie, that it has nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Obviously no country will boycott and only a handful of fans will. It does highlight footballs rank hypocrisy though.

That said, it's a global game and like it or not, the median global position on gay rights is probably as close to Qatars as it is ours. I hope there are modest protests that don't spill over, so that Qatar can learn what it needs to do before any legal changes occur - ie, that it has nothing to fear.
    There's more to this though than just the gay rights, the skulduggery that surrounded the hosts bid and the loss of life and modern day slavery that's been reported of the building of the stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    There's more to this though than just the gay rights, the skulduggery that surrounded the hosts bid and the loss of life and modern day slavery that's been reported of the building of the stadiums.
    I agree. I think it's absurd Qatar is hosting it. Aside from anything else, it completely fails the test of being large enough to do so, before anything else.

Agree with you as well - but the thread title is about LGBT issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Youd have to be pretty brave to protest.