+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Tour de France thread

Le Tour de France thread

Starts tomorrow with an individual TT in Copenhagen. Wonderful!

Got a small each way on Geraint Thomas but it looks like Slovenia will battle it out. Hope there are some fans here, for me it's my favourite 3 weeks of helicopters flying over châteaux

Re: Le Tour de France thread

You a cyclist ?

Bit flat round sandfields innit ?

Cwmafan , Bryn ......mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You a cyclist ?

Bit flat round sandfields innit ?

Cwmafan , Bryn ......mmmm
    Straight out of Margam. Steel and deer in the blood. Cycling country

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Starts tomorrow with an individual TT in Copenhagen. Wonderful!

Got a small each way on Geraint Thomas but it looks like Slovenia will battle it out. Hope there are some fans here, for me it's my favourite 3 weeks of helicopters flying over châteaux
    off to Morzine for the stage starting there.

good luck G!

Straight out of Margam. Steel and deer in the blood. Cycling country
    Used to fish in those furze ponds by the orangery

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    off to Morzine for the stage starting there.
    good luck G!
    Have fun. Been before?
    Last time I went was 2016 on the stage Frome ran up Mont Ventoux

Have fun. Been before?
    I made the effort to see three stages of the TdF when it was in England, twice when it was in Yorkshire a few years back and once in Hampshire quite some time ago.
    The two consecutive days I witnessed the race in Yorkshire were quite a contrast i.e. in Otley, which seemed semi-rural where the crowd was almost all white and the general ambience being rather genteel and in Keighley, which seemed more 'blue collar' all round and where many Indian ladies turned out in wonderful yellow saris!

No Cav

Shame about Cav but there's no room for sentiment. He only rode last years due to a late injury to a teammate.
    Can't really see anyone but Pogacar winning it but can't wait for the next 3 weeks. Tom Pidcock will be good to watch and its great to see G going in with some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No Cav
    Take a look at Quick Step’s Facebook page! The Cav fans have been trolling it for days, it’s hilarious, every thread has been taken over by questions about Cav. He should have been given the opportunity to break the record imo. Fabio has no chance of green jersey due to lack of sprint stages, but if Cav could have achieved just one stage win it would have been the greatest cycling story for years.

I love la Tour. Absolutely incredible what the riders put themselves through.
    Thomas won the Tour de Suisse the other week so is in decent form. Be good to see him do well.

Last went to see the tour at the opening prologue time trial in 1985, such a great occasion.

Can’t look beyond the two Slovenians for the win. Great to see Geraint in good form but realistically I can’t see him finishing in the top 10. A stage win could be a good shout though.

Shame for Cav but to fair the guy that’s been picked ahead of him has twice as many wins this year.

Solid start from Geraint. He seemed to be out there in the heaviest of the rain

The 2018 champion Geraint Thomas been talking to the media after having a short post-stage debrief with his team and he doesn't sound overly happy.

"That was the worst first half of a time trial I have ever done.

"I wanted to start fairly conservatively power wise but everyone is telling you to go easy on the corners, there's three weeks, don't crash because there's been a lot of crashes apparently and the first few corners I cornered like my wife and she hasn't ridden a bike for 12 years.

"It was unbelievable and then I realised I still had my gilet on. It was nice and snug and I didn't realise. The guy at the start didn't notice, not that it was his fault and then when I went through the first time check and I was 18 seconds down I just took the pin out. I actually then went alright and the legs were good which was the main thing but cornering was absolutely terrible. I overthought it big time. In the wet the best thing you can do is just flow and carry the speed nice and smooth and I wasn't flowing.

"I know I could have done a better ride so it is annoying and I always want more. The legs were good and I was warm so I am not going to get a cold, maybe everyone else will get a cold now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cycling/58914755

She was great in Rising Damp

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    She was great in Rising Damp

Have fun. Been before?
    first time at the tour, did the ride from Col de Joux Plan back to Morzine on my mountain bike in a thunderstorm. how they do those speeds on these roads is scary. will take my Wales flag with me and might wear my City shirt.

Any of you guys regular cyclists on the roads in South Wales

You have my deepest sympathy

I wouldn't get on a bike in the wet and cold with the idiots behind the wheel these days

The speed some people drive at just pottering around Bridgend is scary . Thank god you ain't allowed on the motorways . You would be sitting ducks .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I chuckled at that

As I drag the thread off page 3 I assume everyone is enjoying so much they haven't got time to comment 😂
    I think week one has been fascinating with a rainy time trial, a big bridge, cobbles and some punchy little climbs. The traditional flat sprint stages before the mountains have been well and truly forgotten this week.
    Geraint is in pretty good shape too.

As I drag the thread off page 3 I assume everyone is enjoying so much they haven't got time to comment 😂
    I think week one has been fascinating with a rainy time trial, a big bridge, cobbles and some punchy little climbs. The traditional flat sprint stages before the mountains have been well and truly forgotten this week.
    Geraint is in pretty good shape too.
    Yeah, a bit of variety this week. Pogacar in yellow now. Will be hard for anyone to take that off him.
    British riders in 4th, 5th and 6th.

Pogacar looks uncatchable. Yesterday's finish was telling.
    Roglic and Vingegaard don't look like they'll help each other at all, but G, Yates and Danny Martinez will work together for the team over the hills.
    Great stuff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Yeah, a bit of variety this week. Pogacar in yellow now. Will be hard for anyone to take that off him.
    British riders in 4th, 5th and 6th.
    Agree. I think he'll stay in yellow all the way to Paris unless he crashes or suffers an injury.

Great finish today. G up to 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Great finish today. G up to 3rd.
    Amazing end of the stage. Wouldn't surprise me if the current top 3 will be the top 3 in Paris.