+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Tour de France thread

Re: Le Tour de France thread

Greetings from Morzine. Tour arrives in Chatel on Sunday, rest day on Monday and leaves here on Tuesday. Already a buzz around. Hope G can do the business. Some tough hills around here, I had to get off and push tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Greetings from Morzine. Tour arrives in Chatel on Sunday, rest day on Monday and leaves here on Tuesday. Already a buzz around. Hope G can do the business. Some tough hills around here, I had to get off and push tonight!
    Some experience on the day. The pre race caravan is worth the wait. It's like Disneyland for cycling fans 🤣

A protest blocking the road today. Surprised they don't get more of that happening.
    Looking forward to Alpe d'Huez on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    A protest blocking the road today. Surprised they don't get more of that happening.
    Looking forward to Alpe d'Huez on Thursday.
    The next 2 days should be brilliant. Col de Galibier on both days aswell as Alp d'Huez. Wonder if G fancies repeating history?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The next 2 days should be brilliant. Col de Galibier on both days aswell as Alp d'Huez. Wonder if G fancies repeating history?
    Would be brilliant.

Would be brilliant.
    Wow!

What a day that was today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Pogacar looks uncatchable. Yesterday's finish was telling.
    Roglic and Vingegaard don't look like they'll help each other at all, but G, Yates and Danny Martinez will work together for the team over the hills.
    Great stuff so far.
    Poagar was caught, huge shock but great tactical tide by jumbo Visma one of the greatest stages ever in the TDF chapeau to them all Supermen

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Some experience on the day. The pre race caravan is worth the wait. It's like Disneyland for cycling fans ��
    Just got home this evening and the experience of the Tour was amazing. Very impressed with the way it just rolled in 'took place' and rolled out. Managed to see G and got some great pics and videos.

And yes the caravan was bonkers with numerous floats chucking out all sorts of tat and everyone scrambling for it.

Think G is in a very good position to do well and it's all open.

Glad we made the effort to go out and will be watching tomorrow.

Shame the ITV coverage doesn't cover the start.

Fabulous finish yesterday , another tough day today !

I wonder if Jumbo Visma will try and put Pogacar under pressure again tomorrow and hope G can improve his GC place today though he had to do a lot of work yesterday on his own staying with Vindegaard and Pogacar group.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Just got home this evening and the experience of the Tour was amazing. Very impressed with the way it just rolled in 'took place' and rolled out. Managed to see G and got some great pics and videos.

And yes the caravan was bonkers with numerous floats chucking out all sorts of tat and everyone scrambling for it.

Think G is in a very good position to do well and it's all open.

Glad we made the effort to go out and will be watching tomorrow.

Shame the ITV coverage doesn't cover the start.
    Sounds like a top trip, especially bumping into G. Think that long time trial will suit him nicely, hope he can stay in touch today and when they go to the Pyrenees.
    Yesterday had to be one of the best mountain stages I can remember watching live. Agree about ITV4 coverage though. Late start, plus the relentless suffering animals and funeral plan insurance ads, if I see a bloated Ian Botham once more I'm going to subscribe to Eurosport!
    Really looking forward to watching Bastille Day on the Alpe today.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Fabulous finish yesterday , another tough day today !

I wonder if Jumbo Visma will try and put Pogacar under pressure again tomorrow and hope G can improve his GC place today though he had to do a lot of work yesterday on his own staying with Vindegaard and Pogacar group.
    Incredible day and a big twist at the end considering Pogacar was waving and smiling at the cameras just before the final climb.

Be fascinating to see who has any legs left today. I wouldn't rule out more drama.

Sounds like a top trip, especially bumping into G. Think that long time trial will suit him nicely, hope he can stay in touch today and when they go to the Pyrenees.
    Yesterday had to be one of the best mountain stages I can remember watching live. Agree about ITV4 coverage though. Late start, plus the relentless suffering animals and funeral plan insurance ads, if I see a bloated Ian Botham once more I'm going to subscribe to Eurosport!
    Eurosport has the added advantage of Sean Kelly doing his continuous impersonation of Father Austin Purcell from Father Ted - the most boring priest in the world!

Another pic from the rest day in Morzine

796B0F6A-11E8-4C66-AC50-2AC7ED21C06C.jpg

What a ride by Tom Pidcock!
    Good see Froome up there too, and G back up to 3rd in the GC.

What a ride by Tom Pidcock!
    Good see Froome up there too, and G back up to 3rd in the GC.
    awesome stage win and well done G. Brutal climb up to Alp d'Huez, bad enough in a car!

getting tasty now

Thomas is 2 mins 26 secs behind.

What does that equate to in a football game?

Four nil down at half time or trailing by one with 15 to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

He is not really in with a shout of first or second place and will do very well to come third.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He is not really in with a shout of first or second place and will do very well to come third.
    G is part of a very strong team and in a good position with a lot of the race still to go. No pressure on him and he's very capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

He's doing extremely well to be where he is. Whilst he's able to stay with the top 2 on the mountains he doesn't seem to have the kick to attack them. That leaves a 40k time trial to gain 3 minutes on them which won't happen.
    There's always a mechanical or covid though 🤔

That should be that, barring anything dramatic in the time trial on Saturday.
    G looking good for 3rd still.

Amazing sportsmanship by Vingegaard sitting up and waiting for Podagar after he crashed on a decent, worthy champion
    chapeau to both him and G amazing performance to finish 3rd at 36 Legend of Welsh sport

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Amazing sportsmanship by Vingegaard sitting up and waiting for Podagar after he crashed on a decent, worthy champion
    Great to see. What a battle it's been between those 2 this year.

Great to see. What a battle it's been between those 2 this year.
    I can see the battle resuming next year and maybe a few more after. It's been a vintage Tour I reckon. Barely a dull or predictable stage.

I can see the battle resuming next year and maybe a few more after. It's been a vintage Tour I reckon. Barely a dull or predictable stage.
    Hopefully Pidcock can get amongst them next year, Van Aert is a beast Nearly pulled off green and polka dot ffs