The 2018 champion Geraint Thomas been talking to the media after having a short post-stage debrief with his team and he doesn't sound overly happy.

"That was the worst first half of a time trial I have ever done.

"I wanted to start fairly conservatively power wise but everyone is telling you to go easy on the corners, there's three weeks, don't crash because there's been a lot of crashes apparently and the first few corners I cornered like my wife and she hasn't ridden a bike for 12 years.

"It was unbelievable and then I realised I still had my gilet on. It was nice and snug and I didn't realise. The guy at the start didn't notice, not that it was his fault and then when I went through the first time check and I was 18 seconds down I just took the pin out. I actually then went alright and the legs were good which was the main thing but cornering was absolutely terrible. I overthought it big time. In the wet the best thing you can do is just flow and carry the speed nice and smooth and I wasn't flowing.

"I know I could have done a better ride so it is annoying and I always want more. The legs were good and I was warm so I am not going to get a cold, maybe everyone else will get a cold now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cycling/58914755