+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison, 21st best manager in the Championship?

Re: Steve Morison, 21st best manager in the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There was a discussion as to whether they were being fair in placing Bowyer so low and they didn’t really convince me that they were right to have him there - there was some vague reference to “strange decisions” he made in terms of transfers and selections and talk of him not getting some of the Birmingham team to play to their potential,
    I think that's a little unfair, that is a really poor Birmingham squad

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    ….. I for one like what I see and I hope he goes on to educate not just all his dissenters at this club but in the wider football world too.
    Morison’s going to educate his dissenters? I’ll look forward to that. Hopefully, he’ll use PowerPoint.

Listening to the Second Tier podcast where they’re rating all of the current Championship managers. Only Paul Ince, Lee Bowyer and Arvaladze at Hull are rated below our manager - reasons for him being so low, were his inexperience (they admitted there’s little to go on when ranking him), there’s little evidence of the change of playing style that was mooted when he was appointed, that the signings so far do not suggest a change of style and they both agreed that Morison has benefited from not being as dire as Mick McCarthy was - I’d agree with them about the slight change of style and from what I’ve read about the likes of Adams and Rinomhota hardly suggests more of an emphasis on ball retention.

Agree/disagree?
    The style of play changed markedly from game to game towards the end of last season and the fact that we had nothing to play for maybe suggests that Morison was trying different things in different games.

Whereas the way that a team plays can be determined significantly by the opposition, I saw enough in some games (Reading away for example) to suggest that we are going to see a less direct approach, with the team playing out from the back.

The other thing to consider is that Morison is young and nearly all teams (even in non-league!) play a passing game now which we haven't to date. You have to think that he is going to implement something different and more progressive, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I've said in another thread, he's going to be MOTM in October or gone, it's that wide apart!!!
    Obviously I hope it's the former
    Looking at the current signings I get that you have to win the ball first to retain it, and we look like we're going to press sides
    The 5 loan signings will dictate how are season goes I believe
    We need a couple of flare players and forwards who can actually score goals.
    1st of July and I'm reasonably happy with the signings so far
    Let's see what we have bought in for Saturday 30th.

The one thing Morison is going to have to do this season is take FULL responsibility for the results and playing style
    It's his squad and he picks it, no hiding place (or blaming everyone else)
    Put another way, if he doesn't succeed, he'll never get another opportunity at this level, if at all
    I agree with a lot of this.

When he took over we were an absolute mess, he did manage to turn the ship around and guide us comfortable to safety.

On the other hand I really disagreed with his treatment of Davies and Watters.

But I think most managers would struggle with the team we've got, the players we've lost and the fact that we've had no money to sign players. The way it's looking to me is finishing anywhere above the relegaton zone would be a good season.

Listening to the Second Tier podcast where they’re rating all of the current Championship managers. Only Paul Ince, Lee Bowyer and Arvaladze at Hull are rated below our manager - reasons for him being so low, were his inexperience (they admitted there’s little to go on when ranking him), there’s little evidence of the change of playing style that was mooted when he was appointed, that the signings so far do not suggest a change of style and they both agreed that Morison has benefited from not being as dire as Mick McCarthy was - I’d agree with them about the slight change of style and from what I’ve read about the likes of Adams and Rinomhota hardly suggests more of an emphasis on ball retention.

Agree/disagree?
    Nothing I’d love more than for Morison to build a competitive, exciting team for next to nothing.

Come on Morro, we’re right behind you!

Bloooooobirds

I’ve heard things like “it’s not been for the want of trying” said about our failure to sign a striker so far. If that’s true, it’s really not a good sign - I’m hoping we’ve got loans in place that will be confirmed fairly shortly and I think we need better than the likes of Hugill and Uche.
    Definitely sounds as if the new loan rules have really affected us.

Morison has done nothing on the pitch to suggest he’s a good manager, but nothing to suggest he’s awful (like playing 5 centre backs)

As for his signings. Anyones guess is as good as mine

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    The style of play changed markedly from game to game towards the end of last season and the fact that we had nothing to play for maybe suggests that Morison was trying different things in different games.

Whereas the way that a team plays can be determined significantly by the opposition, I saw enough in some games (Reading away for example) to suggest that we are going to see a less direct approach, with the team playing out from the back.

The other thing to consider is that Morison is young and nearly all teams (even in non-league!) play a passing game now which we haven't to date. You have to think that he is going to implement something different and more progressive, surely?
    The formation changed but the style was fairly similar. Get it up to Hugill, he'll hold it up, get it wide and go from there. I've not been convinced by Morison at all and I definitely don't think we've started playing better football. Signing Adams and Rinamhota suggest we're not going to be passing it round sides.

The last 6/7/8 games were extremely worrying for me, we had absolutely nothing to play for and we were absolutely garbage in almost all of them. I don't think anyone has any idea on how this season will go, how we'll play or how will play. Bar Ralls (and probably Wintle), I don't think anyone else is guaranteed a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Definitely sounds as if the new loan rules have really affected us.
    Am I imagining it, or was there something that came out at the start of the summer about a foreign player we'd tried to sign but had fallen foul of visa requirements or something?

Usually very fine margins between success and failure at this level, and doesn't seem like we've been catching many breaks so far.
    Still plenty of opportunity to get things right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Am I imagining it, or was there something that came out at the start of the summer about a foreign player we'd tried to sign but had fallen foul of visa requirements or something?

Usually very fine margins between success and failure at this level, and doesn't seem like we've been catching many breaks so far.
    Still plenty of opportunity to get things right though.
    Yaya Sanogo in Mick's time here. Not sure about this year, although we were supposed to have signed a few players from abroad this summer, and we've only signed one... Or 8 if you agree with FIFA

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The formation changed but the style was fairly similar. Get it up to Hugill, he'll hold it up, get it wide and go from there. I've not been convinced by Morison at all and I definitely don't think we've started playing better football. Signing Adams and Rinamhota suggest we're not going to be passing it round sides.

The last 6/7/8 games were extremely worrying for me, we had absolutely nothing to play for and we were absolutely garbage in almost all of them. I don't think anyone has any idea on how this season will go, how we'll play or how will play. Bar Ralls (and probably Wintle), I don't think anyone else is guaranteed a spot.
    Same, it won't change much if he's playing with wing backs as that's likely to be our major attacking threat. The middle three will be there to ensure that teams can't play through us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Same, it won't change much if he's playing with wing backs as that's likely to be our major attacking threat. The middle three will be there to ensure that teams can't play through us.
    80% of the teams in the division last season were playing with Wing backs. Some played really good football, some less so.

80% of the teams in the division last season were playing with Wing backs. Some played really good football, some less so.
    Not sure it's that high. Fulham and Bournemouth didn't either, they didn't do too badly...

To be fair to Morison yes it couldn’t have been much worse than MM but the squad was a disgrace, I honestly couldn’t see how many manager was going to get a balanced team out. He worked the transfer market exceptionally imo in January. I’m not sure how much of a turn around in performance people expected but we got the points and it improved.

I’m intrigued at what happens next, I expected a 4-2-3-1 but we seem to have to many defensive players for that unless Wintle moves on or unless Ralls plays as a good 10 or a mix.

How many in the league? 24. What’s his position? 21st. Seems 3 places too high.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    To be fair to Morison yes it couldn’t have been much worse than MM but the squad was a disgrace, I honestly couldn’t see how many manager was going to get a balanced team out. He worked the transfer market exceptionally imo in January. I’m not sure how much of a turn around in performance people expected but we got the points and it improved.

I’m intrigued at what happens next, I expected a 4-2-3-1 but we seem to have to many defensive players for that unless Wintle moves on or unless Ralls plays as a good 10 or a mix.
    the way I see it, in terms of Central midfield we have:

rinomhota and Wintle as defensive midfielders

Ralls and Adams as more box to box players

and Eli King as a youngster to come through.

so that's either one more defensive.minded player and one box to box with cover if those get injured. or some permutations of that where we play 3 in central midfield

the way I see it, in terms of Central midfield we have:

rinomhota and Wintle as defensive midfielders

Ralls and Adams as more box to box players

and Eli King as a youngster to come through.

so that's either one more defensive.minded player and one box to box with cover if those get injured. or some permutations of that where we play 3 in central midfield
    And all the creativity of Willie Boland.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And all the creativity of Willie Boland.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat - there have been plenty of teams in the past that have had artisans instead of artists in the centre of midfield and have played some pretty exciting football. The flair can come from elsewhere.

Not saying that we will be like that though, we could easily be terrible

More often than not, good players make good managers.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He worked the transfer market exceptionally imo in January. I’m not sure how much of a turn around in performance people expected but we got the points and it improved..
    At the start of the 2021/22 January transfer window, Cardiff City were 20th in the Championship. When the season eventually finished, they were 18th.

Is that exceptional?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    At the start of the 2021/22 January transfer window, Cardiff City were 20th in the Championship. When the season eventually finished, they were 18th.

Is that exceptional?
    Last 12 games of the season, which I guess is somewhere close to the transfer window and we were 13th over that period.

Don't know who we played or who the others did but it's not exceptional, but its better than we were doing previously.

He had a good window and a decent end to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    The 5 loan signings will dictate how are season goes I believe
    We need a couple of flare players and forwards who can actually score goals.
    1st of July and I'm reasonably happy with the signings so far
    Let's see what we have bought in for Saturday 30th.
    We have the cone sorted but what flavour ice cream will we get, if any

It’s only fair to judge him after this coming season. He’s had the chance to build a squad, his squad, and I’m interested to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Is that exceptional?
    I said he worked the transfer market exceptionally and I stand by that. With the little time, huge gaps in the squad and little or no money I thought he did a lot better than expected.