+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morison, 21st best manager in the Championship?

Steve Morison, 21st best manager in the Championship?

Listening to the Second Tier podcast where they’re rating all of the current Championship managers. Only Paul Ince, Lee Bowyer and Arvaladze at Hull are rated below our manager - reasons for him being so low, were his inexperience (they admitted there’s little to go on when ranking him), there’s little evidence of the change of playing style that was mooted when he was appointed, that the signings so far do not suggest a change of style and they both agreed that Morison has benefited from not being as dire as Mick McCarthy was - I’d agree with them about the slight change of style and from what I’ve read about the likes of Adams and Rinomhota hardly suggests more of an emphasis on ball retention.

Agree/disagree?

Re: Steve Morison, 21st best manager in the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Listening to the Second Tier podcast where they’re rating all of the current Championship managers. Only Paul Ince, Lee Bowyer and Arvaladze at Hull are rated below our manager - reasons for him being so low, were his inexperience (they admitted there’s little to go on when ranking him), there’s little evidence of the change of playing style that was mooted when he was appointed, that the signings so far do not suggest a change of style and they both agreed that Morison has benefited from not being as dire as Mick McCarthy was - I’d agree with them about the slight change of style and from what I’ve read about the likes of Adams and Rinomhota hardly suggests more of an emphasis on ball retention.

Agree/disagree?
    That high? (and please guys, don't get all huffy, you all know what I think of him). I've got my season ticket. I'll be there. I'll cheer on the team - same as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That high? (and please guys, don't get all huffy, you all know what I think of him). I've got my season ticket. I'll be there. I'll cheer on the team - same as it ever was.
    Russell Martin placed sixth - think there’s an element of Emperor’s New Clothes about him.

Russell Martin placed sixth - think there’s an element of Emperor’s New Clothes about him.
    In all serious, these lists are great for laugh, mainly for when people get really arsey... "so-and-so should be 17th, 18th is ridiculous!"

Agree about the Emperor's New Clothes though, but I think they're probably going on their recent form re. management appointments (two of whom are now in the PL) so maybe they're thinking they make better decisions?

In all serious, these lists are great for laugh, mainly for when people get really arsey... "so-and-so should be 17th, 18th is ridiculous!"

Agree about the Emperor's New Clothes though, but I think they're probably going on their recent form re. management appointments (two of whom are now in the PL) so maybe they're thinking they make better decisions?
    Chris Wilder was number one, Nathan Jones two and Mark Robins three.

I've said in another thread, he's going to be MOTM in October or gone, it's that wide apart!!!
    Obviously I hope it's the former
    Looking at the current signings I get that you have to win the ball first to retain it, and we look like we're going to press sides
    The 5 loan signings will dictate how are season goes I believe
    We need a couple of flare players and forwards who can actually score goals.
    1st of July and I'm reasonably happy with the signings so far
    Let's see what we have bought in for Saturday 30th.

The one thing Morison is going to have to do this season is take FULL responsibility for the results and playing style
    It's his squad and he picks it, no hiding place (or blaming everyone else)
    Put another way, if he doesn't succeed, he'll never get another opportunity at this level, if at all

Chris Wilder was number one, Nathan Jones two and Mark Robins three.
    The Nathan Jones one is interesting.

The Nathan Jones one is interesting.
    Stoke definitely wouldn't have him very high.
    What the hell has Bowyer done wrong to be ranked below Morison

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I've said in another thread, he's going to be MOTM in October or gone, it's that wide apart!!!
    Obviously I hope it's the former
    Looking at the current signings I get that you have to win the ball first to retain it, and we look like we're going to press sides
    The 5 loan signings will dictate how are season goes I believe
    We need a couple of flare players and forwards who can actually score goals.
    1st of July and I'm reasonably happy with the signings so far
    Let's see what we have bought in for Saturday 30th.

The one thing Morison is going to have to do this season is take FULL responsibility for the results and playing style
    It's his squad and he picks it, no hiding place (or blaming everyone else)
    Put another way, if he doesn't succeed, he'll never get another opportunity at this level, if at all
    I’ve heard things like “it’s not been for the want of trying” said about our failure to sign a striker so far. If that’s true, it’s really not a good sign - I’m hoping we’ve got loans in place that will be confirmed fairly shortly and I think we need better than the likes of Hugill and Uche.

This guy rates Morison as No. 20 in the Championship. I'm going to reserve my judgement of Morison regarding and where we will finish next season when I see who he has manged to get on loan from the prem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_L8AAWF_eE

International

Agree/disagree?
    Harsh, he saved us from relegation, had a good transfer window and brought through some of the youth players, but the jury is still out, i;m not overimpessed with the signings so far, but in fairness I don't know much about most of them.

International

Agreed he's gone in and followed their keep the ball style, they are terrible to watch and are going backwards, apart from when they play us!

It's good article to stimulate debate but I personally feel for SM as he is trying to rebuild the team from the mess left behind by Warnock and the lack of patience shown by the club and fans in managers after Warnock and he is trying to do this against a backdrop of no money.

We have done well to recruit so many so soon which hims and the management team time to bring them together as a team but people say they no nothing about half the signings then say they are not impressed by the signings

The bale saga was hopefully not too much of a distraction for him and he has been able to line up additions - for me one CB 2 strijers and one maybe two creative minds and we won't be far away

I like SM I must admit and hope he gets the backing of the fans in the stadium which he has so far and will be interesting to see who else comes in between now and the first game

As always I am excited for the new season and can't wait for the 30th

👆🏻This.

Morison is at the beginning of a project. Anyone expecting such widespread (and much needed) change to be followed by an instant promotion charge needs to be more realistic with their expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    This guy rates Morison as No. 20 in the Championship. I'm going to reserve my judgement of Morison regarding and where we will finish next season when I see who he has manged to get on loan from the prem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_L8AAWF_eE
    Kompany's another interesting one.

Fans think you've go to sign a household name to be in with a chance. Last season's player of the year was unknown coming to us and look how he turned out. It's the same with managers. While all the egg sucking grannies among us are not yet ready to pass their judgement I for one like what I see and I hope he goes on to educate not just all his dissenters at this club but in the wider football world too.

Too early to tell with Morison really, there were SOME encouraging things but also some areas for concern. I think last season was just about getting over the line though.

I think we will see a change in style next season, and I thing (pure speculation) that we will be trying to win the ball back a lot earlier and higher up the pitch and then be attacking a disorganised defence.

It should be noted though that we will be operating with our lowest value squad for years, with a wage bill slashed from previous seasons too.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Fans think you've go to sign a household name to be in with a chance. Last season's player of the year was unknown coming to us and look how he turned out. It's the same with managers. While all the egg sucking grannies among us are not yet ready to pass their judgement I for one like what I see and I hope he goes on to educate not just all his dissenters at this club but in the wider football world too.
    I'm happy to stuff myself on humble pie this season. It's not like I'm not used to it. I think the use of the word 'dissenters' is harsh though as it's all just football chatter and we shouldn't take it that seriously. I just hope for a better season than last. It can't be worse...can it?

On reflection I think he did a good job last season and probably deserves higher than 21st.

First manager gig, came in during a time we were looking league 2 at best. Managed to get a tune out of a team that half were leaving and a few youngsters.

Signed well in Jan.

New signings I'm unsure on as I can't recall seeing any of them play.

Style of play needs to improve now he is bringing in his own signings. It did change a bit last season tbf, but then from Mick's all out defence that was maybe the easy bit.

Shock horror - a podcast run by a Derby County fan thinks the Cardiff manager is 21st best in the league. Who the hell are these people ? How does anyone know that they know anything about football. Its like putting someone off this board in charge of the main BBC TV News !

Kompany's another interesting one.
    Kompany was placed with Beale and Tomasson between 16th and 18th on the Second Tier because it was thought that they had so little to judge them on, although it was noted that he didn’t really do much at Anderlecht.

Kompany was placed with Beale and Tomasson between 16th and 18th on the Second Tier because it was thought that they had so little to judge them on, although it was noted that he didn’t really do much at Anderlecht.
    I'm not up to date, is Bellamy joining him? There was talk.

I'm not up to date, is Bellamy joining him? There was talk.
    It seems so.

It seems so.
    OK, well that's a +1 on the interesting from earlier. It will be fascinating to see how they do and adds a bit of spice for when we play them.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Stoke definitely wouldn't have him very high.
    What the hell has Bowyer done wrong to be ranked below Morison
    There was a discussion as to whether they were being fair in placing Bowyer so low and they didn’t really convince me that they were right to have him there - there was some vague reference to “strange decisions” he made in terms of transfers and selections and talk of him not getting some of the Birmingham team to play to their potential,