Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I can’t remember Eusebio being fouled too badly in 1966, but I was only ten at the time, so might not have noticed it if he had been.

I wouldn’t argue about the 1,200 goals and would agree that there is a debate to be had about him not being Brazil’s greatest player. I was able to take in more of what was happening in 1970 and, although I thought Garson and Tostao were tremendous in that tournament, I’d rate Pele as the best international team I’ve seens pivotal player. You’ve also got to factor in 1958 when judging Pele, he was clearly something very special at 17. Nevertheless, it’s Maradona at number one for me because you’re right about Pele always playing in very good sides, whereas the 1986 Argentina team was basically Maradona and ten good, but not exceptional, players.
I was listening to a radio interview a while back, but I can't remember who, I think it was an Argentinian journalist, that was arguing that the degree to which Maradona carried the Argentina 1986 team has been massively overstated. They made a pretty convincing argument at the time, unfortunately I can;t remember most of it - I remember one other player had had a pretty good season up front for Real Madrid and scored some important goals.