+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh Labour vote to increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96

Re: Welsh Labour vote to increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
    https://www.ft.com/content/2c555bc7-...b-c2489e1f8304

As Germany’s biggest union, IG Metall, begins discussions on demands for a wage increase of up to 8.2 per cent for the country’s 85,000 steelworkers in the coming weeks, Birgit Dietze expects reverberations for workers across Europe.

Why is Germany and France and in debt , inflation rising is it Brexit ?????????

Eurozone as a whole has a worse wage lag than UK

Job vacancies in Europe rising

I could go on ..
    Let's take a look at wages between 2010 and 2017 https://www.ft.com/content/c4437c9e-...5-50daf11b720d

Our wage growth is only currently better (over what, a one week snippet you've sniped from somewhere) because most EU countries haven't had 12 years of basically no wage growth.

Do you honestly believe the standard of life is better in the UK than say Franch, Netherlands, Germany any of the scandavian countries etc?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I must admit, for a group of people who portray themselves as pro-european, there are an awful lot of them who don't actually follow what is happening in continental Europe.
    reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so what's the issue here?
    with 650 MPS, the UK has 1MP for every 100,000 people or thereabouts. It really is about economies of scale and its hardly surprising that the larger the population the lower number of MPs per capita that is required.

I wonder what India and Chinas per capita figures are?

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61393446

Seems reasonable to me. If you're angry about this wait until you hear about the £1 TRILLION in debt the current UK government have added.

And cost of living crisis, how about the £500 a year per person Brexit is costing? https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bre...ts-2022-06-21/

Or the wage stagnation of the past 40 years? I could go on..
    This is classic whataboutery. Why not respond to the subject matter in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    good
    Is it good? Surely the best for the country would have the best people nominated, irrespective of gender. If that means 15 women, 7 men and 3 not quite sures then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Is it good? Surely the best for the country would have the best people nominated, irrespective of gender. If that means 15 women, 7 men and 3 NOT QUITE SURES then so be it.

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61393446

Seems reasonable to me. If you're angry about this wait until you hear about the £1 TRILLION in debt the current UK government have added.

And cost of living crisis, how about the £500 a year per person Brexit is costing? https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bre...ts-2022-06-21/

Or the wage stagnation of the past 40 years? I could go on..
    Please don't ‘go on’. What you say has nothing to do with the thread anyway.

Public debt has gone up because the Government had to pay for the pandemic to keep people like you and me alive and in work. If you want to see a real increase in the countries debt, help elect a new labour government next time around and then you will see what real debt looks like.

The cost of living ‘crisis’ is being felt all over the world, lead by large increases in energy costs due to factors that are nothing to do with Brexit. Also in the last 15 years we have enjoyed record low interest rates and low inflation and everyone has benefitted from this, including the people who are moaning the loudest now that inflation has increased.

Wages increases have been lower but as I said so has inflation. Wages certainly haven't ‘stagnated’ as you make out. If someone is prepared to work hard and put in the hours there are still rewards to be had and opportunities to better oneself. Some people seem to think that people should get a pay rise no matter how little effort (if any) they put in.

Let's take a look at wages between 2010 and 2017 https://www.ft.com/content/c4437c9e-...5-50daf11b720d

Our wage growth is only currently better (over what, a one week snippet you've sniped from somewhere) because most EU countries haven't had 12 years of basically no wage growth.

Do you honestly believe the standard of life is better in the UK than say Franch, Netherlands, Germany any of the scandavian countries etc?
    What I do know that wages are lagging behind in very country in the world this is not difficult just google wage lagging and almost every country pop up , and the Eurozone in the last decade has underperformed compared to the UK , hence the Eastern Europeans coming to the UK to work or did they come take a wage cut ????

What I do know that wages are lagging behind in very country in the world this is not difficult just google wage lagging and almost every country pop up , and the Eurozone in the last decade has underperformed compared to the UK , hence the Eastern Europeans coming to the UK to work or did they come take a wage cut ????
    I thought most of the Eastern Europeans coming here in the years before Brexit were Poles and Romanians

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Please don't ‘go on’. What you say has nothing to do with the thread anyway.

Public debt has gone up because the Government had to pay for the pandemic to keep people like you and me alive and in work. If you want to see a real increase in the countries debt, help elect a new labour government next time around and then you will see what real debt looks like.

The cost of living ‘crisis’ is being felt all over the world, lead by large increases in energy costs due to factors that are nothing to do with Brexit. Also in the last 15 years we have enjoyed record low interest rates and low inflation and everyone has benefitted from this, including the people who are moaning the loudest now that inflation has increased.

Wages increases have been lower but as I said so has inflation. Wages certainly haven't ‘stagnated’ as you make out. If someone is prepared to work hard and put in the hours there are still rewards to be had and opportunities to better oneself. Some people seem to think that people should get a pay rise no matter how little effort (if any) they put in.
    The world is in the same dilemma have to move beyond the hatred of Brexit and Boris desperate times ..

Big economises are stuttering as are the job markets , wages , inflation and they include Germany .Japan , North America , I d just suggest you perhaps examine the plights of these countries in more depth ..

As stated to Dorcus , why were folk coming to the UK ?? Why not stay in wealthy Germany / France if they are that better or go to a Nordic country .

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
    https://www.ft.com/content/6f325773-...1-6bc986ee90fa

Trade balance of the overall eurozone, which had a trade deficit in goods of €32.4bn in April, a reversal from a surplus of €14.9bn a year earlier. Eurozone trade figures for May are due to be released on July 15.

Germany records first monthly trade deficit since 1991 as import costs soar
    Lower demand for exports also contributes to €1bn negative trading balance for May

Eurozone’s long-stagnating wages start to rise as cost of living soars
    After a decade of little to no pay growth, workers are finally starting to see higher settlements

All of the above from the FT who are no friend of the Tories or Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I thought most of the Eastern Europeans coming here in the years before Brexit were Poles and Romanians
    Not really adding anything to the thread but Poland is central Europe

Some more cost data below all a bit vague but to does seem the cost is rising and rising and rising now at 69 million

Then we have the clever vagueness of how much this actually costs

Just think its not a good view to be talking about this with folks struggling

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-...-from-60-to-96

For me it the hidden costs stuff , don't forget this is annual costs ...

If Id written this about stopping Boris enlarging the government and the cost with health struggling we'd see a lot of happy clappy folks , we need to examine our health ,education, crime ,transport performance and provision before this type of shite
    Good point.

Boris Johnson isn't expanding the Senedd so he can concentrate on the concerns that you listed there.

How's Boris Johnson doing with health, crime and education?

Health:

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...chdog-12644840

Crime:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60250678.amp

Education:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/member.php?21223-life-on-mars

Not really adding anything to the thread but Poland is central Europe
    Me adding even less!

Eastern Europe is, as the name says, the eastern part of Europe. According to the United Nations definition, countries within Eastern Europe are Belarus, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine and the western part of the Russian Federation (see: European Russia map).

All these countries are using Eastern European Time (EET = UTC +2 hours) except Belarus (Minsk Time, UTC+3 hours), the Kaliningrad Oblast (UTC+3 hours) and the Russian Federation (Moscow Time UTC+4 h).

Me adding even less!

Eastern Europe is, as the name says, the eastern part of Europe. According to the United Nations definition, countries within Eastern Europe are Belarus, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine and the western part of the Russian Federation (see: European Russia map).

All these countries are using Eastern European Time (EET = UTC +2 hours) except Belarus (Minsk Time, UTC+3 hours), the Kaliningrad Oblast (UTC+3 hours) and the Russian Federation (Moscow Time UTC+4 h).
    Poland

Jeez, all I wanted to do was ridicule LoMs assertion that Eastern Europeans were fleeing the Eurozone to the UK by highlighting the lands of the zloty and the leu and the next thing I know I'm debating the geographical provenance of the land to the east of the Oder!

Jeez, all I wanted to do was ridicule LoMs assertion that Eastern Europeans were fleeing the Eurozone to the UK by highlighting the lands of the zloty and the leu and the next thing I know I'm debating the geographical provenance of the land to the east of the Oder!

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    If you want to see a real increase in the countries debt, help elect a new labour government next time around and then you will see what real debt looks like.
    Nice to see this old chestnut re-emerge. It's utter bollocks and has been proven to be nonsense time and again.

Out of interest, care to say make any comparisons between our national debt in 2010 after a global recession and any time close to the beginning of the Covid pandemic?

I think the increase is needed and I support it, the massive increase in powers since 1999 means that it's morally right that there should be more scrutiny and debate about all new legislation, as well as an improvement in decision making (all Governments get things right and wrong like us all).

On a more recent note the outrageous attacks and rollbacks on Welsh law and democracy by a hypocritical Government 150 miles away who are happy enough to call out other countries attacks on democracy as if they are the shining light of society means that strengthening the Welsh Government is critical for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Nice to see this old chestnut re-emerge. It's utter bollocks and has been proven to be nonsense time and again.

Out of interest, care to say make any comparisons between our national debt in 2010 after a global recession and any time close to the beginning of the Covid pandemic?
    In 2007 debt/GDP was 34%, and it rose dramatically to its current levels following the financial crash in 2008. It peaked at 81% in 2016 and started to fall, rising rapidly again after the pandemic to its current level of 95%.

The debt/GDP rose continuously post financial crash, as to try and balance the books at that time would have ruined the economy. You cannot just remove £150bn of public expenditure from the economy to balance the books, it has to be undertaken by growing the economy, improving tax receipts and targeted cuts. Whilst the incumbent government succeeded in the first two (the Tories are not the party of low taxation), it is highly subjective whether they achieved the third aim.

We should see a faster reduction of debt/GDP this time around, as there was a lot of one off spending during the pandemic.

link

In 2007 debt/GDP was 34%, and it rose dramatically to its current levels following the financial crash in 2008. It peaked at 81% in 2016 and started to fall, rising rapidly again after the pandemic to its current level of 95%.

The debt/GDP rose continuously post financial crash, as to try and balance the books at that time would have ruined the economy. You cannot just remove £150bn of public expenditure from the economy to balance the books, it has to be undertaken by growing the economy, improving tax receipts and targeted cuts. Whilst the incumbent government succeeded in the first two (the Tories are not the party of low taxation), it is highly subjective whether they achieved the third aim.
    I would argue that growth during the period was fragile at best. Lots of working class people never had pay rises that matched inflation yet wages continued to soar at the opposite end. Cuts that affected people's livelihoods also stifled growth.

I have always been of the opinion that the cuts were more to do with ideology as an attack on public services than economics. It's an easy one to win. People see less being done with the taxes they pay so they start to see public services as a waste of money.

So to recap your point, the incumbent government barely achieved 1, which stifled 2 and they probably felt they failed with 3 as they wanted deeper and more savage cuts, regardless of who it affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    I think the increase is needed and I support it, the massive increase in powers since 1999 means that it's morally right that there should be more scrutiny and debate about all new legislation, as well as an improvement in decision making (all Governments get things right and wrong like us all).

On a more recent note the outrageous attacks and rollbacks on Welsh law and democracy by a hypocritical Government 150 miles away who are happy enough to call out other countries attacks on democracy as if they are the shining light of society means that strengthening the Welsh Government is critical for future generations.
    The other argument for it is that leaving the EU means more policy decisions are made in the UK - in devolved areas this will mean greater decision making happening at the senedd.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The other argument for it is that leaving the EU means more policy decisions are made in the UK - in devolved areas this will mean greater decision making happening at the senedd.
    Which repatriated EU powers are covered by the current devolution settlement?

How many of those European parliaments are devolved?

https://www.ft.com/content/2c555bc7-...b-c2489e1f8304

As Germany’s biggest union, IG Metall, begins discussions on demands for a wage increase of up to 8.2 per cent for the country’s 85,000 steelworkers in the coming weeks, Birgit Dietze expects reverberations for workers across Europe.

Why is Germany and France and in debt , inflation rising is it Brexit ?????????

Eurozone as a whole has a worse wage lag than UK

Job vacancies in Europe rising

I could go on ..
    Well! you got your sovereignty back and control over your borders.What could be better.