+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Labour vote to increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96

Welsh Labour vote to increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96

Welsh Labour vote, which will see reforms made to the Senedd.

This includes an increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96 ..

Yey more bureaucracy costs ...

I'd rather have 36 more ambulance crews , probably the overall year on year cost of the extra Senedd members would get us 100 new crews when you factor in their support staff , free transport costs , office space , IT set up , traveling abroad / UK missions to sell the Welsh dream , hospitality, free drinks , food , pensions , etc

Cost of living crisis !!! cost of living crisis !! I hear Welsh Labour Senedd shout ,we cant feel it

International

Re: Welsh Labour vote to increase in Senedd Members from 60 to 96

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I'd rather have 36 more ambulance crews , probably the overall year on year cost of the extra Senedd members would get us 100 new crews when you factor in their support staff , free transport costs , office space , IT set up , traveling abroad / UK missions to sell the Welsh dream , hospitality, free drinks , food , pensions , etc

Cost of living crisis !!! cost of living crisis !! I hear Welsh Labour Senedd shout ,we cant feel it
    Animal farm order more pig food for the troughs!!!

Why is there a plan for 36 more members?

The current total of 60 has been the number since the creation of what was then called the National Assembly for Wales 1999. In those days it had very limited powers and no tax powers.

The Senedd, and the Welsh government, have since acquired direct law-making powers and some tax powers, including over a share of income tax.

It is argued that with all these extra powers more politicians are needed to scrutinise proposed new laws and government ministers' actions, and that there are simply not enough Senedd members to do that job as well as it could be done.

Unlike at Westminster, where there are 650 MPs in the House of Commons, there is also no equivalent of the House of Lords in Wales, which provides a second check on the legal plans of UK ministers.

In essence, it is said Senedd members currently have too high a workload if they do all they are required to do, and ministers plans and actions are not being challenged as much as they could be.

That might mean for example, in extreme cases, that mistakes that would otherwise have been spotted in advance are that much more likely to occur.

This proposal is to move from 60 to 96 members in Cardiff Bay, to cope with the additional work involved in providing greater scrutiny.
    Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61393446

Seems reasonable to me. If you're angry about this wait until you hear about the £1 TRILLION in debt the current UK government have added.

And cost of living crisis, how about the £500 a year per person Brexit is costing? https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bre...ts-2022-06-21/

Or the wage stagnation of the past 40 years? I could go on..

How about they increase numbers by 10% say to then demonstrate the benefit/s? 60% increase off the bat seems crazy, and hugely expensive.

More jobs for the boys.

On the face of it this is classic politicians voting to support themselves stuff.

However, I support it. The senedd has gained considerably more powers in recent years and despite what some say, the UK and senedd has received a raft of powers previously held by Brussels, so the senedd is more powerful and has more work to do. It's also worth noting that the number of Welsh MP's will fall in coming years to align the constituency sizes with the rest of the UK.

Where I think cuts could be made is in councils. It remains preposterous that Wales has 22.

How much is it costing?

How does that compare with number of MPs in similar sized countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    How much is it costing?
    A lot ...

Net expenditure of the Welsh Parliament, Welsh Assembly was at £56.5m in 2018-19.

Approximately 460 people support the 60

What I don't know is what next expenditure means does it include all the add on's i.e. pensions , cars , offices , IT , staff , trips , hospitality , free tea and biscuits ,subsidized food , etc ..

Do you know ??????

https://senedd.wales/commission/work...om-april-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61393446

Seems reasonable to me. If you're angry about this wait until you hear about the £1 TRILLION in debt the current UK government have added.

And cost of living crisis, how about the £500 a year per person Brexit is costing? https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/bre...ts-2022-06-21/

Or the wage stagnation of the past 40 years? I could go on..

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
    https://www.ft.com/content/2c555bc7-...b-c2489e1f8304

As Germany’s biggest union, IG Metall, begins discussions on demands for a wage increase of up to 8.2 per cent for the country’s 85,000 steelworkers in the coming weeks, Birgit Dietze expects reverberations for workers across Europe.

Why is Germany and France and in debt , inflation rising is it Brexit ?????????

Eurozone as a whole has a worse wage lag than UK

Job vacancies in Europe rising

I could go on ..

A lot ...

Net expenditure of the Welsh Parliament, Welsh Assembly was at £56.5m in 2018-19.

What I don't know is what next expenditure means does it include all the add on's i.e. pensions , cars , offices , IT , staff , trips , hospitality , free tea and biscuits ,subsidized food , etc ..

Do you know ??????

https://senedd.wales/commission/work...om-april-2021/
    Ok. Got it.

In summary: neither of us know how much it's going to cost.

Please continue with your false moral outrage of this decision based on your political leanings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    Ok. Got it.

In summary: neither of us know how much it's going to cost.

Please continue with your false moral outrage of this decision based on your political leanings.
    How is it false this is a fact

You've not supplied any data just threw out a line

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
    https://www.ft.com/content/2c555bc7-...b-c2489e1f8304

As Germany’s biggest union, IG Metall, begins discussions on demands for a wage increase of up to 8.2 per cent for the country’s 85,000 steelworkers in the coming weeks, Birgit Dietze expects reverberations for workers across Europe.

Why is Germany and France and in debt , inflation rising is it Brexit ?????????

Eurozone as a whole has a worse wage lag than UK

Job vacancies in Europe rising

I could go on ..
    I must admit, for a group of people who portray themselves as pro-european, there are an awful lot of them who don't actually follow what is happening in continental Europe.

How is it false this is a fact

You've not supplied any data just threw out a line
    You misunderstand. It's your moral outrage that is false.

Why would I have supplied data? I just stated that neither of us know how much it's going to cost and I'm not going to pretend that I understand how this will affect the local economy or how the political aspects of it would be good or bad for Wales.

But, please, Tory voter, tell us more about why you think this it's such a bad idea.

I thought Welsh Labour didn’t have an overall majority in the Senedd?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    How does that compare with number of MPs in similar sized countries?
    Thought I'd check myself out of curiosity. With 60 MS' that's 1 for every 54k people, with 96 it's 1 per 33k people.

160 in Ireland = 1 per 31k
    129 in Scotland = 1 per 42k
    169 in Norway = 1 per 32k
    179 in Denmark = 1 per 32k
    151 in Croatia = 1 per 27k

Thought I'd check myself out of curiosity. With 60 MS' that's 1 for every 54k people, with 96 it's 1 per 33k people.

so what's the issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I must admit, for a group of people who portray themselves as pro-european, there are an awful lot of them who don't actually follow what is happening in continental Europe.
    I must admit that some one trying to make an anti-European point should be aware that Germany has a debt to GDP ratio that is half that of the UK.

I also admit I found it ironic that this commentator uses record vacancies in the UK to laud the success of the UK economy and record vacancies in Germany as a stick to beat it.

I'm surprised that as an eager follower of continental economics you didn't point that out. Still what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so what's the issue here?
    That’s my point. We’ve brought ourselves more inline with other, similar countries.

How much does each assembly cost ??

And are you measuring full on governments v Devolved Assemblies in those countries ??

Even more fun

Parties will be required to nominate an equal number of men and women and, in a system called 'zipping', the lists must alternate between men and women.

For example, it would mean the Labour list might have a woman at number one, followed by a man, then a woman and so on.

Even more fun

Parties will be required to nominate an equal number of men and women and, in a system called 'zipping', the lists must alternate between men and women.

For example, it would mean the Labour list might have a woman at number one, followed by a man, then a woman and so on.
    good

Some more cost data below all a bit vague but to does seem the cost is rising and rising and rising now at 69 million

Then we have the clever vagueness of how much this actually costs

Just think its not a good view to be talking about this with folks struggling

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-...-from-60-to-96

For me it the hidden costs stuff , don't forget this is annual costs ...

If Id written this about stopping Boris enlarging the government and the cost with health struggling we'd see a lot of happy clappy folks , we need to examine our health ,education, crime ,transport performance and provision before this type of shite

How much does each assembly cost ??

And are you measuring full on governments v Devolved Assemblies in those countries ??
    Dunno. Can’t say I’m too bothered to look, I was curious is all. I just googled “______ parliament” and took the number of seats from Wiki
    each time.

Even more fun

Shirley they’re not allowed to stipulate “men & women”, Shirley it’s sexist ?