+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff residents despair at 'disgusting' piles of rubbish left by students during moving out week

Cardiff residents despair at 'disgusting' piles of rubbish left by students during moving out week

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...uncil-24389876

Residents in a Cardiff neighbourhood have slammed the "disgusting" piles of rubbish left by university students moving out of their houses at the end of term.

Re: Cardiff residents despair at 'disgusting' piles of rubbish left by students during moving out week

I seem to remember this story from last year. And the year before, and the one before that, etc, etc. It's Student land - what do you expect? They can't take all that shit home with them, so they dump it outside.

Re: Cardiff residents despair at 'disgusting' piles of rubbish left by students during moving out week

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I seem to remember this story from last year. And the year before, and the one before that, etc, etc. It's Student land - what do you expect? They can't take all that shit home with them, so they dump it outside.
    The landlords should be held responsible. They're running a business, so they should dispose of the waste that it generates.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Did you look at the pictures in the report? Doesn't look like everything was bagged up nicely waiting for collection. They don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Did you look at the pictures in the report? Doesn't look like everything was bagged up nicely waiting for collection. They don't care.
    Cathays is a shithole throughout the academic year. Every week during term time there is food waste and household rubbish strewn across the pavements because it's left outside most of the houses in bin liners that then get ripped open.

Cardiff residents despair at the lack of newsworthy stories in the local media

Maybe the council should put a skip there at this time every year?
    But students would complain that they can't put their rubbish in it as the locals suddenly got rid of all theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Cathays is a shithole throughout the academic year. Every week during term time there is food waste and household rubbish strewn across the pavements because it's left outside most of the houses in bin liners that then get ripped open.
    A lot of our nation's intelligentsia are unwilling or unable to, for instance, put food waste in the caddies provided so then it becomes a nice feeding ground for the seagulls and rats. The council tried to introduce fines for this kind of thing but couldn't work out which half eaten curry belonged to which house.

A lot of our nation's intelligentsia are unwilling or unable to, for instance, put food waste in the caddies provided so then it becomes a nice feeding ground for the seagulls and rats. The council tried to introduce fines for this kind of thing but couldn't work out which half eaten curry belonged to which house.
    Half eaten?????? They must have too much money and too much food

crows attack my green recycling bags even if there's no food in there, probably just to see if they can find any. in a few minutes they can leave half the rubbish strewn across the road

Some places in England don’t have food waste bins. All goes in the black bin. Not a very good excuse but I can see why some students would just chuck it all in the black bags.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Half eaten?????? They must have too much money and too much food
    The decadence is off the scale - it's not even a lentil curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    crows attack my green recycling bags even if there's no food in there, probably just to see if they can find any. in a few minutes they can leave half the rubbish strewn across the road
    You'd think they'd have heard of Cathays by now, it's in the papers every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Some places in England don’t have food waste bins. All goes in the black bin. Not a very good excuse but I can see why some students would just chuck it all in the black bags.
    Maybe it takes some getting used to but they're given guides and you'd think after a couple of weeks they'd learn but nah.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The landlords should be held responsible. They're running a business, so they should dispose of the waste that it generates.
    How do you know which houses are abusing it? The students in my house I rent out said others nearby had filled up their bin, which i know is true as there’s only two of them left so they had little waste…

Moving out week in Cathays is a seagulls paradise with bins being ripped open by them regularly, and the council do absolutely nothing to mitigate the situation. A number of large biffa bins located on streets throughout Cathays would alleviate a lot of the problem, you'd just need to rely on the bin lids being shut - just lock them at night as a pissed student tipping them over is a banker.

University is no longer reserved for the elite. The average IQ will be a lot lower since the expansion of Universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    University is no longer reserved for the elite. The average IQ will be a lot lower since the expansion of Universities.
    nothing to do with intelligence, it's just a bunch of kids living away from home for the first time and acting like kids do.

not helped by the fact that most of the Victorian or Edwardian era homes like that have little room for putting Wheely bins etc

nothing to do with intelligence, it's just a bunch of kids living away from home for the first time and acting like kids do.

not helped by the fact that most of the Victorian or Edwardian era homes like that have little room for putting Wheely bins etc
    Intelligence is everything to do with impulse control and conscientiousness . Leaving rubbish strewn across a street is lower IQ behaviour on a whole. Countries with the highest average IQ are most orderly and clean. Japan, Singapore, Finland, Germany.

It’s always at the end of June, the council know this. They should just sweep through Cathays like they do every time there’s a rugby match in town, all gone by the next day like it never happened.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s always at the end of June, the council know this. They should just sweep through Cathays like they do every time there’s a rugby match in town, all gone by the next day like it never happened.
    Its really bad and they are not showing any respect for their comunities but I agree, there should be a team on standby to go to the areas quickly and sort it out, they are not going to take loads of rubbish home, it's a big turnover week, the council should be ready and wating to act.

Problem solved for next year, wake up Cardiff City Council.

If you can find evidence of who it was you can always attempt to fine them for fly tipping later if it's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Its really bad and they are not showing any respect for their comunities but I agree, there should be a team on standby to go to the areas quickly and sort it out, they are not going to take loads of rubbish home, it's a big turnover week, the council should be ready and wating to act.

Problem solved for next year, wake up Cardiff City Council.

If you can find evidence of who it was you can always attempt to fine them for fly tipping later if it's really bad.
    No doubt the agency’s the students use for accommodation will fine them if they don’t clear the cupboards and junk they’ve amassed out, so what are they going to do? Yep….out it goes. A guy I knew used to go around looking for bikes they couldn’t take with them, just left on the street.

And not helped by the way in which old 2-3 bedroom family homes have been turned into 5-8 bed houses. The "just kids" excuse is something students say themselves; I heard it when I was complaining about the noise - "we're students, it's what we do" (other permanent residents have been told to move away if they don't like it) so it becomes cultural.

The council have tried various initiatives including putting on extra collections at the end of the year but they're partly to blame because since the student allocation increased the area was mismanaged. Sorry for the grizzle - I moved out last year and I'm still a bit pissed off about having to do so.

And not helped by the way in which old 2-3 bedroom family homes have been turned into 5-8 bed houses. The "just kids" excuse is something students say themselves; I heard it when I was complaining about the noise - "we're students, it's what we do" (other permanent residents have been told to move away if they don't like it) so it becomes cultural.

The council have tried various initiatives including putting on extra collections at the end of the year but they're partly to blame because since the student allocation increased the area was mismanaged. Sorry for the grizzle - I moved out last year and I'm still a bit pissed off about having to do so.
    I grew up in the area as well. I agree something needs to be done about the rubbish as even throughout the year it can be a problem. I think that students do contribute a lot to the area though

Currently involved with a project regarding Anti Social Behaviour (ASB) in Grangetown and something that's become clear is that ASB definitions are way too narrow. Rubbish management and fly-tipping in communities is ASB too (or can be). It causes a lot of problems. We have to be careful we don't excuse ASB in various forms. This is why I want to see greater local community powers and not Cardiff Council trying to find a blanket solution for multiple demographics.

International

No doubt the agency’s the students use for accommodation will fine them if they don’t clear the cupboards and junk they’ve amassed out, so what are they going to do? Yep….out it goes. A guy I knew used to go around looking for bikes they couldn’t take with them, just left on the street.
    Yes that makes sense bet they chuck a load of decent stuff away!

10 quid per person a black bag at Bath Uni, in my daughters " pod " ( of 12 ) 5 were International students, they just packed up clothes and went, kitchen cupboards still full, my daughter moved out in dribs and drabs in her car over about 3 weeks, cleaned up the lounge area ( 3 bin bags ) and that was it, I contacted the management company and said she has emptied her room and her kitchen stuff, tidied the lounge ( sent them a pic of her with the lounge tidy and 3 bis bags ) and thats her bit done, I dont mind a " joint responsibility " but you have got to have some sense about it