+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago Mass Shooting

Re: Chicago Mass Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    It was such an ignorant generalisation, not even worth bothering with. The demographic with most gun violence in America isn't 80IQ hicks i can assure you.
    It's non believers obviously

Christians for the right to bear arms !

Join today

It was such an ignorant generalisation, not even worth bothering with. The demographic with most gun violence in America isn't 80IQ hicks i can assure you.
    Is your "old PC" still booting up? A month or so ago, I believe you promised some stats about non-whites committing the most mass shootings that never came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    bit more generalization, not sure all 80 IQ Hicks are assholes, but still doesn't take away the fact that they are not a new thing, they were around along time before Trump came to power
    I am certain that the majority of uneducated idiots carrying guns in America are assholes

And a lot of the rest with weapons are too

There are a lot of gross generalisations about these things, with both sides looking for evidence they are right.

The fact this happens is part of the problem. The causes are complex and very unlikely to fit with any ideological position.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There are a lot of gross generalisations about these things, with both sides looking for evidence they are right.

The fact this happens is part of the problem. The causes are complex and very unlikely to fit with any ideological position.
    Why is it that in Canada , a society with access to guns , far fewer people per head of population are killed by firearms than over the border ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Why is it that in Canada , a society with access to guns , far fewer people per head of population are killed by firearms than over the border ?
    Because gun laws are far stricter is no doubt a very large part of the story.

Guns are utterly ridiculous. I can, at a stretch respect their right to bear arms, and owning a pistol to protect your family or whatever, but the rest is ridiculous.

My point is more that access to guns is a constant in the US and is a constant across the US - sure, access to them is stricter in some places than others and thats good, but fundementally if you wanted one you could get one.

And yet, despite that constant, gun deaths are soaring and they vary hugely by state, which suggests that as ridiculous as their gun laws are, there is something else happening too.

There were 1,002 gun murders in Chicago alone last year. 1,002!!!!
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...eaths-82053645

Guns Don't Kill People....17 years old.... and we're still hearing the old tropes on here.

It's the blacks

Even when it's a white guy like this one , it's the blacks

You complete tool
    You have no logical flow to these posts. It's just like a random driveby shooting with words.

Are you feeling ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Guns Don't Kill People....17 years old.... and we're still hearing the old tropes on here.

Not the GLC in support of gun control. Really?

Not the GLC in support of gun control. Really?

Jesus. This thread is a shit show.

At least I know who to put on ignore though.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Them same people have been around decades before trump was president

Them same 80 IQ Hicks are the same people who farmed the land that fed the US, the same who worked in the factories of the US

though I guess a bit of generalization goes a long way
    Who cares? These are the people who support anyone being able to buy assault rifles because of 'FrEeDoM', they're the same people who support the extreme right while the country sleepwalks into fascism.

Because gun laws are far stricter is no doubt a very large part of the story.

Guns are utterly ridiculous. I can, at a stretch respect their right to bear arms, and owning a pistol to protect your family or whatever, but the rest is ridiculous.

My point is more that access to guns is a constant in the US and is a constant across the US - sure, access to them is stricter in some places than others and thats good, but fundementally if you wanted one you could get one.

And yet, despite that constant, gun deaths are soaring and they vary hugely by state, which suggests that as ridiculous as their gun laws are, there is something else happening too.

There were 1,002 gun murders in Chicago alone last year. 1,002!!!!
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...eaths-82053645
    Respect their right to bear arms!!!!!!!!????

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Respect their right to bear arms!!!!!!!!????
    Well it's a large part of the country's culture. I don't agree with it at all, but I understand the history behind it and the reasoning. I'm in favour of strict gun laws, but I'm also in favour of women wearing mini skirts if they wish. It doesn't mean I don't understand why it is frowned upon in parts of the muslim world.

The reality is people have a right to own a gun in America, and I think it's pointless looking to ban them entirely so the focus is on assault weapons etc, but also, my point being that gun ownership is a constant, whereas gun deaths has seen a huge increase in recent years, which suggests there are other factors at play.

I think gun suicides have doubled in a decade.

Well it's a large part of the country's culture. I don't agree with it at all, but I understand the history behind it and the reasoning. I'm in favour of strict gun laws, but I'm also in favour of women wearing mini skirts if they wish. It doesn't mean I don't understand why it is frowned upon in parts of the muslim world.

The reality is people have a right to own a gun in America, and I think it's pointless looking to ban them entirely so the focus is on assault weapons etc, but also, my point being that gun ownership is a constant, whereas gun deaths has seen a huge increase in recent years, which suggests there are other factors at play.

I think gun suicides have doubled in a decade.
    Suicides in many demographics have increased over the last decade. Social media usage and people with disabilities being two groups with greater suicide ideation. Access to a gun makes suicide attempts significantly more successful. So I think there's any easy correlation.

Suicides in many demographics have increased over the last decade. Social media usage and people with disabilities being two groups with greater suicide ideation. Access to a gun makes suicide attempts significantly more successful. So I think there's any easy correlation.
    This is my point. America's relationship with guns makes this all far worse, there is no question of that, and maybe some tightening of rules will help, which I would support.

But the fundementals are this: Americans have always had access to guns and always been able to undertake mass shootings, and yet gang murders, homicides, suicides, mass shootings are all up.

The problem is guns, but that is a constant, so the rise is also down to other issues too and we should explore them if we want to solve this, especially as I think the same issues may be happening in other societies, thankfully with less devastating consequences, but still..

This is my point. America's relationship with guns makes this all far worse, there is no question of that, and maybe some tightening of rules will help, which I would support.

But the fundementals are this: Americans have always had access to guns and always been able to undertake mass shootings, and yet gang murders, homicides, suicides, mass shootings are all up.

The problem is guns, but that is a constant, so the rise is also down to other issues too and we should explore them if we want to solve this, especially as I think the same issues may be happening in other societies, thankfully with less devastating consequences, but still..
    Respect. Good point here and I agree with you.

Respect. Good point here and I agree with you.
    I think it's also a good point

Guns are normalised, even idolised, across society in the US. Normalised to the extent that often the default programming for many Americans for resolving grievances, conflicts, quarrels & their own frustration is to think about and pick up a gun.

So yes the problem is guns and removing the ability to keep guns is a part of the solution, but America really needs deprogramming about their attitude towards not just guns but identify, conflict, religion and their own. Belief they are the greatest country on earth ... Which isnt happening any time soon

You have to ask the question

Wtf is a 20 year old kid doing with a high powered assault rifle in his possession?
    probably running as a rep for congress by the look of things