+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car accidents in this area

Car accidents in this area

Two on the M4 at Newport on Sunday, two on the A4232 yesterday, both causing a lot of disruption. I don’t get it. What is the problem ? On both days the driving conditions were perfect. This area is a disaster for motorists

Re: Car accidents in this area

Speeding and careless driving. There are a minority of drivrrs who believe they own the road and have no regard for others.

Yeah speed and impatience mainly, I work in Newport and the amount of tailgating I see on a daily basis is ridiculous.

Too many people driving around thinking that the car in front of them needs to be overtaken. Tailgating, undertaking, weaving in and out, impatience etc all factors, but some drivers need to ease off the gas and leave more space.

With all these ridiculous 20mph zones, I do find myself spending more time looking at my speedo rather than the road road ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    With all these ridiculous 20mph zones, I do find myself spending more time looking at my speedo rather than the road road ahead.
    I’m fed up being undertaken by cyclists doing 40 mph

The driving on the roads is appalling. Speeding , tailgaiting , impatience , knobs on mobiles.

Theres a significant minority as well who just for some reason get angry and aggressive behind the wheel.

Mobile phones have a big part to play in it I think.

The lack of motorway driving nous is really astonishing at times. The amount of drivers sitting in the middle & right hand lane, when they have no traffic to overtake is bizarre.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Mobile phones have a big part to play in it I think.
    I’m a non driver these days and use the buses a lot.

From my elevated position it is frightening how many people you see happily tapping away on their phones whilst driving.

I have little doubt that this contributes significantly to the number of incidents on the road.

International

One common theme people having to tailgte and undertake, it never happens to me because I accelerate to overtake then pull back in, too many people block the middle and outside lanes causing traffic that wants/needs to move at a faster speed to have to tailgate them out of the way or pass on the inside!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

From my elevated position it is frightening how many people you see happily tapping away on their phones whilst driving.

I have little doubt that this contributes significantly to the number of incidents on the road.
    Terrible, I think that should be treated like drink driving with an automatic ban, it's the only way to stop it!

International

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    The lack of motorway driving nous is really astonishing at times. The amount of drivers sitting in the middle & right hand lane, when they have no traffic to overtake is bizarre.
    Exactly they cause the frustration and ultimately the accidents, sellfish people that are too lazy to change lanes and are happy to block the middle lane for the whole journey causing traffic to build up behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

It's easy enough to see whilst driving aswell. Some drivers must be pretty twp to think that no-one can work out what theyre doing when others see them glancing downwards every few seconds. Next time you're stationary in a queue of traffic just watch the driver behind or in front. They all must have been crap at hide and seek as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Exactly they cause the frustration and ultimately the accidents, sellfish people that are too lazy to change lanes and are happy to block the middle lane for the whole journey causing traffic to build up behind them.
    Theres an element of that, but I genuinely believe that a lot of it is down to a complete lack of awareness of the traffic situation or their part in it.

The M4 around Newport is not only a poor piece of motorway in terms of it only being 2 lanes and hamstrung by the Brynglas Tunnel, it is also very bendy for a motorway, with lots of on and off ramps, lanes that become exit lanes etc. It's dangerous all round.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The M4 around Newport is not only a poor piece of motorway in terms of it only being 2 lanes and hamstrung by the Brynglas Tunnel, it is also very bendy for a motorway, with lots of on and off ramps, lanes that become exit lanes etc. It's dangerous all round.
    Yet there's still plenty of drivers who treat it like an empty 4 lane carriageway with no upper speed limit.

Newport has too many motorway junctions and a shit road layout, so many Newport folk will go onto the M4 and off again a the next junction just to get to the other side of the city - effectively making one lane of the M4 basically just for newport cross town traffic, and the 2 lane section at Bryn Glas is more like 1 lane for the trafic that is just driving straight through.

I would look at closing some of the on ramps on the Newport side. A town that size doesn't need 5 motorway junctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Newport has too many motorway junctions and a shit road layout, so many Newport folk will go onto the M4 and off again a the next junction just to get to the other side of the city - effectively making one lane of the M4 basically just for newport cross town traffic, and the 2 lane section at Bryn Glas is more like 1 lane for the trafic that is just driving straight through.

I would look at closing some of the on ramps on the Newport side. A town that size doesn't need 5 motorway junctions.
    I agree. And for context, Cardiff has four.

I agree. And for context, Cardiff has four.
    I'd look at shutting 25 and 26 on the Newport side

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Too many people driving around thinking that the car in front of them needs to be overtaken. Tailgating, undertaking, weaving in and out, impatience etc all factors, but some drivers need to ease off the gas and leave more space.
    If you're being undertaken then maybe you are in the wrong lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    If you're being undertaken then maybe you are in the wrong lane.
    Not if the left hand lane is solely for exiting at the next junction and drivers use it before cutting back in to the main carriageway.

I live in Bassaleg and work in Cardiff. The driving in the Newport area, especially from the M4 going up towards Risca is appalling. We have both boy racers and older chavs in Audi's and BMW's who treat the roads like a racetrack

I used love driving I absolutely hate it now.
    The roads are full of self entitled pricks.
    What surprises me these days is being cut up and tailgated by someone and when you get to the next set of lights it's a woman driver 🤷*♂️

Agree to the previous comments think some are out of practice because of WFH/COVID
    and also now see commuting as a pain