+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bale

Bale

Having just returned from a 3 week holiday it's taken me 24hrs to recover from the shock of leaving as England were battling against New Zealand in the 3rd Test, to return as England were completing a fifth test victory over India. To say I was perplexed is putting it mildly !

But I want to just get my thoughts on the Bale sage in writing, even though no doubt I'll probably be repeating what has been said elsewhere. There's a scene in Gavin & Stacey when Gavin says to Smithie something along the lines '..if we met now I don't think we'd be friends..'. In the same vein, were Bale not Welsh, there's little that I see and hear from him that would make me admire him, apart from his footballing ability. If the story of his turning up at a school in Cardiff with an LAFC top/hoody are true, then for me it just about sums the person up. I've had a pop at Ralls and Vaulks over the last couple of years but they - and no doubt others - have always struck me as grounded, accessible, approachable people. Folk you can relate to. I'm glad Bale didn't come here. I suspect Morison was rather relieved too.

Re: Bale

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Having just returned from a 3 week holiday it's taken me 24hrs to recover from the shock of leaving as England were battling against New Zealand in the 3rd Test, to return as England were completing a fifth test victory over India. To say I was perplexed is putting it mildly !

But I want to just get my thoughts on the Bale sage in writing, even though no doubt I'll probably be repeating what has been said elsewhere. There's a scene in Gavin & Stacey when Gavin says to Smithie something along the lines '..if we met now I don't think we'd be friends..'. In the same vein, were Bale not Welsh, there's little that I see and hear from him that would make me admire him, apart from his footballing ability. If the story of his turning up at a school in Cardiff with an LAFC top/hoody are true, then for me it just about sums the person up. I've had a pop at Ralls and Vaulks over the last couple of years but they - and no doubt others - have always struck me as grounded, accessible, approachable people. Folk you can relate to. I'm glad Bale didn't come here. I suspect Morison was rather relieved too.
    You sound like a spurned lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You sound like a spurned lover.
    Quite. It’s embarrassing.

*complains that he's not accessible*

*complains about how he turns up at a school in his own time"

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Maybe he is? Would add another angle to the story.

What you missed was that Bale wasn't just wandering around Cardiff or any school in his LA kit. It was a prearranged visit to his old school to film some sort of promotional video and whilst there he took the time to meet, talk to and sign autographs for other pupils. What was he supposed to wear - he was an LA player for goodness sake. If anything would inspire young kids to play more football or improve their skills, that would. You shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Is he ever suggested he was willing to play for Cardiff because he was a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What you missed was that Bale wasn't just wandering around Cardiff or any school in his LA kit. It was a prearranged visit to his old school to film some sort of promotional video and whilst there he took the time to meet, talk to and sign autographs for other pupils. What was he supposed to wear - he was an LA player for goodness sake. If anything would inspire young kids to play more football or improve their skills, that would. You shouldn't be so quick to judge.
    'Promotional video'.

In all seriousness, and I've said this before, as fun as it was for us, the 'Wales. Golf. Madrid' thing was a spectacularly insulting thing to the fans who pay good money for his wages. I also think he should have left Madrid many years sooner and that was all a bit unsavoury.

Quite clearly though, this is down to A Quiet Monkfish's spurned advances towards him

Get over yourself.

What a rambling bunch of utter nonsense. Take another 3 weeks please

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In all seriousness, and I've said this before, as fun as it was for us, the 'Wales. Golf. Madrid' thing was a spectacularly insulting thing to the fans who pay good money for his wages. I also think he should have left Madrid many years sooner and that was all a bit unsavoury.

Quite clearly though, this is down to A Quiet Monkfish's spurned advances towards him
    He tried to leave agreed terms with another club, and was blocked by Madrid club President. what more could he have done.

He went back to his old school, a few hours after the school day ended, to make a film for his new club about his earlier life. What else was he supposed to wear, and where else could he have filmed it?

'Promotional video'.
    Yes a promotional video organised by LAFA to be shown in America detailing his early years from schooldays to when he signed for them, that's why he was wearing a LAFA kit

International

It will end in tears he'll miss the World Cup!

I bet Morison is counting his lucky stars 😂

The Government of Spain pay the wages at Real Madrid dont they?

It was a playful dig directed at the Merengue media machine rather than a dig at the fans. Marca and the likes were printing stories suggesting he preferred to be playing golf than play for Madrid. It was an incessant media storm. Context is key.

When Bale first arrived at RM he was known by the locals as the 'Cardiff Express'. They loved him. He ended up two seasons virtually on the bench, and - as you say - ended up effectively taking the p*ss. He'd have done the same here. He's a Welsh football legend of course, but the greatest ? No, there was one greater than him. He's a mega star, able to command huge sponsorship deals and wages, but I doubt he'd have broken into a trot for City. With football it's normally 'what can this player bring to the team'. With Bale it's more 'what can this club do for me'. City dodged a very expensive bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    quoting Gavin & Stacey did it for me...

It’s good to see monkfish knows **** all about football and politics. Embarrassing.

There's an issue with his paperwork, so maybe he's coming here anyway

Your last line is how I feel (I'm glad Bale didn't come here. I suspect Morison was rather relieved too)

I 'm sure Moza would like to get on with his own plans , however ordinary they be appear in some fans eyes , and away from the circus and distractions that signing Bale or Ramsey would bring, In a way it has already disrupted or planning , it would undermine his own decisions and plans and we need to see him grow and develop his own chosen squad and tactics not knit it around a superstars own Welsh Country needs .

Just to point out that it was Pedrag Mijatovic who coined the phrase 'Wales. Golf. Madrid' in order to insult or put Bale down on Spanish radio. I think he was director of football at RM at the time? Anyway, you can't blame Wales fans or Bale for wanting to own that narrative and turn it into a positive, because at the end of the day it was clearly untrue. Count the trophies he won there.