+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea getting £12Million for a player

International

Swansea getting £12Million for a player

Well maybe not, but thats what they want, selling players has kept them afloat, they've made a fortune for their owners, it can't continue mind and then hopefully they'll strugle!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-flynn-downes

West Ham confident of beating Crystal Palace to Swansea’s Flynn Downes
    Palace had led race for midfielder Swansea rate at £12m
    Moyes wants midfielder after Lille reject £20m Onana bid

West Ham are confident of beating Crystal Palace to the signing of the Swansea City midfielder Flynn Downes. Palace had been leading the race to sign the 23-year-old, but West Ham are making encouraging progress in negotiations after acting on their interest.

Swansea have been looking to receive a fee of £12m for Downes, who joined Russell Martin’s side from Ipswich Town last year. With Palace yet to reach an agreement with the Welsh club, West Ham have moved in and are expected to make a suitable offer for Downes.

David Moyes, West Ham’s manager, needs cover in midfield for Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek. He has seen a £20m bid for Amadou Onana rejected by Lille, who are understood to have demanded £60m for the 20-year-old. Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse is an ambitious target for Moyes.

Re: Swansea getting £12Million for a player

They could be getting Joe Allen back aswell.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I guess that would help towards his wage budget!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hope he plays 46 games like he did against Ukraine.

The fact Swanseaare able to sell at least one player a season for a multi million fee explains why they’ve been able to maintain their place in the top two divisions for so long. Just think how we would have fared with a combination of Tan’s money, an Academy that worked and a fit for purpose recruitment section.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The fact Swanseaare able to sell at least one player a season for a multi million fee explains why they’ve been able to maintain their place in the top two divisions for so long. Just think how we would have fared with a combination of Tan’s money, an Academy that worked and a fit for purpose recruitment section.
    We let Ramsey go for 5m. They got huge fees for McBurnie , Mawson , Borini , Rodon.

Incredible Ramseys worth more than that lot combined.

Feckin Ridsdale.

A decent CEO and manager would have helped too, our recruitment for managers compared to theirs is embarrassing

That has been key

It will take us a few seasons to catch up with their structure but at least now we have started with a well led, well structured Academy that gives us a chance of bringing through young players and selling them on at big profits to fund the overall improvement of the first team squad. And in David Hughes as Head of Academy we now have one of the best in the whole country to oversee it (look at his record at Southampton and Villa).

Some people have commented on the 10 new signings this Summer as being "unexciting" but the vast majority seem to have potential , be at the right age to be of long term benefit and cost us virtually nothing in transfer fees so any future sales cannot be at a financial loss.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We let Ramsey go for 5m. They got huge fees for McBurnie , Mawson , Borini , Rodon.

Incredible Ramseys worth more than that lot combined.

Feckin Ridsdale.
    Ramsey was sold to Arsenal in 2008 - 14 years ago. I have heard of holding a grudge but that is ridiculous. Have you not heard of inflation ? Comparing transfer fees more than a couple of years apart is a total waste of time. If Ramsey was being sold now as an 18 year old, it would be £15-20m easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    It will take us a few seasons to catch up with their structure but at least now we have started with a well led, well structured Academy that gives us a chance of bringing through young players and selling them on at big profits to fund the overall improvement of the first team squad. And in David Hughes as Head of Academy we now have one of the best in the whole country to oversee it (look at his record at Southampton and Villa).

Some people have commented on the 10 new signings this Summer as being "unexciting" but the vast majority seem to have potential , be at the right age to be of long term benefit and cost us virtually nothing in transfer fees so any future sales cannot be at a financial loss.

Keith
    With apologies for replying to my own post.

After posting I looked at filed accounts for CCFC and we have made profits on selling players in recent years. Don`t ask me who but we made a profit of £2.9m in season 2020/21 and a larger one of £29.9m in the previous season.

Our total playing squad value as at 31 May 2021 in the balance sheet was £10.5m after "depreciating " them by £18m in the year. We only added players for a total cost of £893k in the Summer 2021 and January 2022 transfer windows so that depreciation charge cannot have been more than £11.4m in the year just ended - a big saving in the accounts.

International

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Ramsey was sold to Arsenal in 2008 - 14 years ago. I have heard of holding a grudge but that is ridiculous. Have you not heard of inflation ? Comparing transfer fees more than a couple of years apart is a total waste of time. If Ramsey was being sold now as an 18 year old, it would be £15-20m easily.
    It's a shame we were so desperate, I think we sold him a season too soon, a year later he could have gone to united for double or more and we would have both benefited!

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yes I get inflation.

I believe Ramsey was sold on the cheap whereas those 4 Swansea have got ridiculously over the odds fees. Maybe Rodon may still prove me wrong. Mawson and McBurnie in particular though.

Theyve done well there.

Dave Jones and not playing Ramsey enough didnt help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes I get inflation.

I believe Ramsey was sold on the cheap whereas those 4 Swansea have got ridiculously over the odds fees. Maybe Rodon may still prove me wrong. Mawson and McBurnie in particular though.

Theyve done well there.

Dave Jones and not playing Ramsey enough didnt help though.
    Wasn't it more to do with keeping us out of court that we sold Ramsey so cheap rather than Jones as a manager - I maybe wrong - I often am😂👍

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's a shame we were so desperate, I think we sold him a season too soon, a year later he could have gone to united for double or more and we would have both benefited!
    Which United?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Wasn't it more to do with keeping us out of court that we sold Ramsey so cheap rather than Jones as a manager - I maybe wrong - I often am����
    Yes we needed the cash. If we weren't in trouble with HMRC and didn't need to sell it's possible we would get a few more million for him at that point, even more if he'd stayed with us for a couple more seasons.
    Seeing as he was either still 16 or just turned 17 when he left here it would have been pretty irresponsible for Jones to have played him much more than he did at that point, he would still probably have been growing.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Which United?
    Only one!

West Ham

If you read this analysis of their 20/21 accounts it suggests that they need to keep finding gems that they can sell on or they will be starting to get into trouble financially.
    So far they're not in a bad position compared to a lot of clubs. But take out almost £30m a year on average for the 5 years preceeding these accounts and they would be in big trouble.
    Credit where it is due though they have a great track record in selling players for a profit.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...vONr-fK_s1ZT2g

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If you read this analysis of their 20/21 accounts it suggests that they need to keep finding gems that they can sell on or they will be starting to get into trouble financially.
    So far they're not in a bad position compared to a lot of clubs. But take out almost £30m a year on average for the 5 years preceeding these accounts and they would be in big trouble.
    Credit where it is due though they have a great track record in selling players for a profit.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/stat...vONr-fK_s1ZT2g
    That Joel Piroe must be the next one to go, 22 goals in 45 games for them, would they need to cash in now?

Although that looks to be a lot more goals than he usually scores, so maybe just one good season?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Piroe