+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starmer and Rayner cleared.

Re: Starmer and Rayner cleared.

Same old Tories, same old Sleazebags. Good old Kier is standing sky high in dignity today. Even though he's a less than compelling Labour leader.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In the space of 24 hours, it does rather seem that the phrase One rule for us, another for everyone else applies to the Labour Party more now.

Morally, there is no way that travelling across the country and drinking booze and eating pizza in the evening prior to an election with people is less of an issue than people working together in the most important office in the country who are tested daily, sharing a cake.

Nonetheless, there we are.
    ...who are tested daily, sharing a cake.
    How sh*t must they be if they can't even share a cake properly?

I am not quite seeing 'Starmer isn't doing anything' as a problem right now, just how far ahead should he be in the polls? The fact that Labour haven't had to woo anybody with policy yet to gain a steady lead of 5-8 points can only be a good thing. Tories might get a bounce from a new leader but for that to happen they will need to pick somebody who isn't smothered in Boris' stench.

He was clearly exactly the right leader vs Boris, whether he will be against whoever is next will become clearer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I am not quite seeing 'Starmer isn't doing anything' as a problem right now, just how far ahead should he be in the polls? The fact that Labour haven't had to woo anybody with policy yet to gain a steady lead of 5-8 points can only be a good thing. Tories might get a bounce from a new leader but for that to happen they will need to pick somebody who isn't smothered in Boris' stench.

He was clearly exactly the right leader vs Boris, whether he will be against whoever is next will become clearer soon.
    In fairness since Starmer became leader they have seen a fairly steady improvement in the polling.

When he took over the Tories had a 20 percentage point lead, today Labour are 12 % points ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...phical_summary

The Tories have got plenty of work to do at this point.

In the space of 24 hours, it does rather seem that the phrase One rule for us, another for everyone else applies to the Labour Party more now.

Morally, there is no way that travelling across the country and drinking booze and eating pizza in the evening prior to an election with people is less of an issue than people working together in the most important office in the country who are tested daily, sharing a cake.

Nonetheless, there we are.
    I was surprised when Johnson was fined just the once, but accepted the decision the Met made, you should do the same here. The Police (the same force that took no action against Dominic Cummings at a time when the Tories were on his side) have investigated the Labour leader and his deputy and decided that there is no case to answer - frankly, your one rule for Labour and another rule for everyone else nonsense is a pretty feeble effort, it’s as if you thought you have to post something because it’s what your expected to do, but your heart wasn’t really in it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was surprised when Johnson was fined just the once, but accepted the decision the Met made, you should do the same here. The Police (the same force that took no action against Dominic Cummings at a time when the Tories were on his side) have investigated the Labour leader and his deputy and decided that there is no case to answer - frankly, your one rule for Labour and another rule for everyone else nonsense is a pretty feeble effort, it’s as if you thought you have to post something because it’s what your expected to do, but your heart wasn’t really in it.
    More a case of his mask slipping, as it does occasionally, away from his Mr. Balance/Nuance act.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I completely accept it.

It's just in the context of the old adage "One rule for them, another for us" this now applies to Labour more than the Tories. Johnson has lost his job. Rishi Sunak was fined. Starmer has gotten away with it on the technicality that they continued working after drinking beer..as if no one did so after Johnson ate cake.

You guys know there is a clear inconsistency here.

As I've said all along - both are completely taken out of all proportion, especially when we see everything else happening in the world.

I completely accept it.

It's just in the context of the old adage "One rule for them, another for us" this now applies to Labour more than the Tories. Johnson has lost his job. Rishi Sunak was fined. Starmer has gotten away with it on the technicality that they continued working after drinking beer..as if no one did so after Johnson ate cake.

As I've said all along - both are completely taken out of all proportion, especially when we see everything else happening in the world.
    Yes, yes, we do.

I completely accept it.

It's just in the context of the old adage "One rule for them, another for us" this now applies to Labour more than the Tories. Johnson has lost his job. Starmer has gotten away with it on the technicality that they continued working after drinking beer..as if no one did so after Johnson ate cake.

It was pretty obvious that Starmer wasn't going to get fined, as I've been saying all along.

In the meantime HUNDREDS of fines were handed out to those at Downing street and it seems pretty fortunate that Boris Johnson only got one.

I completely accept it.

"Johnson lost his job..."

We know for a fact that you don't believe that it was because of him receiving a fine so why bother saying it?

He also resigned, he didn't "lose his job"

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

It was pretty obvious that Starmer wasn't going to get fined, as I've been saying all along.

In the meantime HUNDREDS of fines were handed out to those at Downing street and it seems pretty fortunate that Boris Johnson only got one.
    The Guardian are leading with James Wales' Face Found In Johnson's Cake

Quite illuminating re-reading the thread when Dominic Cummings was not fined by Durham Police.

Some of you guys appear a little inconsistent!
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...m+police+fines

As I said, all of it are over-reactions in my opinion, but I think Starmer has been very lucky here. I really think what he did was actually worse than what Sunak got fined for. And I think most of you would probably agree on that if looking objectively. In fact, can anyone point out the legal or moral difference between them?

Still, onwards and upwards and hopefully we can leave the whole sorry saga in the background. But as I say... the charge of 'getting away with it' or 'one rule for them, another for the rest of us' can more easily be laid at Labours door now I'm afraid.

I completely accept it.

Good god! Do you work for the Forgers Gazette?

[QUOTE=JamesWales;5319228]I completely accept it.

As I've said all along - both are completely taken out of all proportion, especially when we see everything else happening in the world.[/QUOTE
    How can you argue that we’re talking about the same thing in every case? Concentrating on Johnson for now, he was investigated for multiple parties/work gatherings and, for whatever reason, it was decided only one of them warranted a fine - using your logic, Johnson should have been fined for all of them or none. To do that, is to ignore nuance - as I mentioned earlier, I still struggle to believe Johnson was deemed to be doing nothing wrong in those pictures that were released, but he was and that’s an end to it, there was clearly a degree of nuance involved in the decisions the Met came to.

International

I still stick with neither of them did anything wrong, it was all hype, both should have been told to apologise and that should have been the end of it, but instead we'll be hearing about Stammers, carling shandy and chicken korma right up until the election!

Tory defence force assemble!

The false equivalence on this is mind blowing. Also boris resigning was to do with him appointing a sex pest wasn’t it?

Quite illuminating re-reading the thread when Dominic Cummings was not fined by Durham Police.

Some of you guys appear a little inconsistent!
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...m+police+fines

As I said, all of it are over-reactions in my opinion, but I think Starmer has been very lucky here. I really think what he did was actually worse than what Sunak got fined for. And I think most of you would probably agree on that if looking objectively. In fact, can anyone point out the legal or moral difference between them?

Still, onwards and upwards and hopefully we can leave the whole sorry saga in the background. But as I say... the charge of 'getting away with it' or 'one rule for them, another for the rest of us' can more easily be laid at Labours door now I'm afraid.
    Comparing Starmer and Cummings now

Starmer had some food in between doing work (what we would call a "lunch break" in the UK) whilst abiding the social distancing guidelines at the time.

Sunak joined a birthday party for someone and broke the social distancing guidelines that his government set out.

Go for a walk and get some fresh air James. You're not thinking straight.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Worst possible result I would have thought, most people think he was the same as Boris, and they were all at it.

Even worse they can't ditch him now for a more appealing leader that could cut through.

He's out of his depth and a boring liability, anyone half decent for the Conservatives would put them in the driving seat.

Interesting couple of months/years.

Most people? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's been tough hasn't it

Having just returned from a 3 week holiday it's taken me 24hrs to recover from the shock of leaving as England were battling against New Zealand in the 3rd Test, to return as England were completing a fifth test victory over India. To say I was perplexed is putting it mildly !

But I want to just get my thoughts on the Boris sage in writing, even though no doubt I'll probably be repeating what has been said elsewhere. There's a scene in Gavin & Stacey when Gavin says to Smithie something along the lines '..if we met now I don't think we'd be friends..'. In the same vein, were Boris not a complete wanker, there's little that I see and hear from him that would make me admire him, apart from his lying ability. If the story of his turning up in Westminster with a big box of wine are true, then for me it just about sums the person up. I've had a pop at Cameron and May over the last couple of years but they - and no doubt others - have always struck me as grounded, accessible, approachable people. Folk you can relate to. I'm glad Boris didn't come here. I suspect Gove was rather relieved too.

Glad they were cleared, seems the right decision for me. I think the pressure that both durham and the met police have been put under is disgraceful, from both sides of the press. I'm sure the pond life that write for the mail and the guardian are penning critical stories about the decision right now

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Most people? I doubt it.
    Anyone comparing what starmer did to what boris did is a desperate Tory looking to point score. Pathetic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

The false equivalence on this is mind blowing. Also boris resigning was to do with him appointing a sex pest wasn’t it?
    I think sex pest is too quaint. Sexual Predator/Sexual Abuser/Sexual Molester, any one of these (in fact, probably all three) could apply.

Edit: but he'd had a bit too much Moet & Chandon so, it was just tipsy impropriety.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

That and serial lying about it all.

So why does James think Starmer keeping his job is wrong when boris survived having a full blown party?

Not being a reactionary twat again is he?

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Most people? I doubt it.
    Actually good point, most neutrals.

Obviously Torys would say he's worse, Lefties would say he's a saint