+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: Cardiff City 3 - 2 Cambridge Utd - First Pre-season game

Re: City V Cambridge Utd - First Pre-season game

Seen far worse league games. Enjoyed that.
    Bluebirds!

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    my only slight criticism is that we're quite static in possession - seems to be a lack of passing options for players - not everyone is keen on making themselves available for the ball. But that'll come hopefully as the team gels.
    It didn’t come all last season.

On this outing alone. I'd favour Bagan at LB, Romeo at RB. Watters ahead of Collins, Wintle and Rinomhota as our best midfield two.
    I think we have too good LBs. I think McGuinness is our best centre-back by far. But he needs to be our second best centre-back. I think Romeo is leaps and bounds ahead of Daley-Campbell but that says more about Daley-Campbell. Rinomhota needs to be the first name on the team sheet. Tanner is exciting but we need another winger to take the pressure off. Let him learn that final ball first. Watters to stay please, Collins to leave. I swear Mark Harris is underrated. His link up play. The one-twos. He's quick with it. Just needs to not go missing in games as much as he did last season.

Best centre midfield we've had in a while.

Why does Morrison not like Sang??? What's the story there?

my only slight criticism is that we're quite static in possession - seems to be a lack of passing options for players - not everyone is keen on making themselves available for the ball. But that'll come hopefully as the team gels.
    That's a bit disappointing to hear. It's been a criticism of the team for a number of seasons. I'd have hoped with such a big influx of new players, coupled with pre-season training, they might have ironed that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That's a bit disappointing to hear. It's been a criticism of the team for a number of seasons. I'd have hoped with such a big influx of new players, coupled with pre-season training, they might have ironed that out.
    Well if it makes any difference, I completely disagree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Well I've seen enough. Calling it now. Rinomhota is our best midfielder since Gunnarsson. Can see the class from a mile away.
    He’s crap but to do the decent thing we will take him back free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    He’s crap but to do the decent thing we will take him back free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Well if it makes any difference, I completely disagree with them.
    As I said only a slight criticism but if we're intent on playing out from the back our centre halfs need more passing options than they had at times today. But overall HUGELY positive. Can't wait for the Cewnty game.

Re: FT: Cardiff City 3 - 2 Cambridge Utd - First Pre-season game

Phew one R Morison survived his first game of the season CCMB test

how did we approach the game tactically?
    in possession and out of?

Did we make a lot of changes? Did we keep the same shape? What was the defending like for the two Cambridge goals? Anyone hazard a guess at the possession stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I'm going for 0-0 with 4 city players sent off

It was 3..we only need 8 men

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    how did we approach the game tactically?
    in possession and out of?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Did we make a lot of changes? Did we keep the same shape? What was the defending like for the two Cambridge goals? Anyone hazard a guess at the possession stats?
    I bought a stream but missed a bit, and to be honest wasn't paying all that much attention as it was the first runout and didn't think there'd be much to glean from the game but we played what looked like a 4-3-3/4-5-1 with more of a press and tried to play out from the back. I thought Ng was a little at fault for the 2nd but everyone was rusty obviously. 11 changes at half time (and one more when Adams went off injured) and they seemed to knock it around better with a couple of well worked goals.

Harris looked like he played as more of a 10 with Watters at 9, Sang played on the left of a midfield 3 but not as wide as Tanner was on the right, unless that was just the camera angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I bought a stream but missed a bit, and to be honest wasn't paying all that much attention as it was the first runout and didn't think there'd be much to glean from the game but we played what looked like a 4-3-3/4-5-1 with more of a press and tried to play out from the back. I thought Ng was a little at fault for the 2nd but everyone was rusty obviously. 11 changes at half time (and one more when Adams went off injured) and they seemed to knock it around better with a couple of well worked goals.

Harris looked like he played as more of a 10 with Watters at 9, Sang played on the left of a midfield 3 but not as wide as Tanner was on the right, unless that was just the camera angle.
    Interesting to see he stuck with a back four.

I stand by I think he wants a Liverpool style pressing 4-2-3-1 just not sure all the signings match up. Maybe they do and more is to come.

No mention of Alnwick who came on 2nd half.
    Looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet, passing out to defenders which is the way Morison wants to play. Expect him to start as #1 goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    No mention of Alnwick who came on 2nd half.
    Looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet, passing out to defenders which is the way Morison wants to play. Expect him to start as #1 goalie.
    It was Allsop, not Alnwick.

For those who asked about pressing, I didn’t see much of that, but it was hardly the occasion or conditions to go with such an approach - I’m only guessing, but I’d say the first half side had less of the ball than Cambridge and the second half one more.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

For those who asked about pressing, I didn’t see much of that, but it was hardly the occasion or conditions to go with such an approach - I’m only guessing, but I’d say the first half side had less of the ball than Cambridge and the second half one more.
    As for formations, Steve Morison said both teams played 4-3-3 because it was the best formation to use if he wanted both sides to play the same way - for me, it looked more like 4-2 and then a flexible front four.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Will take me a while to get me used to all these new players.😀
    Whoever it was, was an improvement on Phillip's who I am surprised is still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Will take me a while to get me used to all these new players.��
    Whoever it was, was an improvement on Phillip's who I am surprised is still with us.
    Yes, I agree, on that evidence, I could understand why Derby fans were calling Allsop a calming presence in a thread that was linked to here about their goalkeepers.

Weekly Review 10 July 2022.

Romaine Sawyers becomes signing number ten and a win over Cambridge United in our first warm up game.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Big improvement on result of last season’s friendly vs Cambridge- so a promising score yesterday in comparison with 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Any highlights?

Sounds like we’ve sorted our midfield out, with plenty of options.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Who is the player (number 4?) who drops back to receive the ball and plays a delightful, quick, through-ball, is it Wintle?
    Whoever it was, that's the kind of simple play we've been missing... makes himself available, good first touch, turns quickly and as I already said... a delightful through-ball!