+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion this season?

Promotion this season?

“The main [target] is to improve from last season,” he told Pundit Arena. “I want to want to try and play more games than what I did last year, and hopefully win a few more games than we did.

“That’s the main one, just being in the team, playing well, and hopefully, we can now look for promotion. That’s the main goal.” - Joel Bagan

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...steve-24448682

Optimistic? I like it!

Re: Promotion this season?

Deluded, more like....

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Deluded, more like....

Who knows, this season could be a disaster or we could surprise one or two.

I’d certainly rather hear positivity from the players and manager than not.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

Can we be as good as Forest who were the worst team to go up last year?

They were good but no world beaters

Not impossible

But if Morison pulls it off with 12 new players and no money, it’d be quite something

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Deluded, more like....
    Nice to see that you have so much faith in your team. No doubt you said the same in 2017/2018.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Nice to see that you have so much faith in your team. No doubt you said the same in 2017/2018.
    It's a bit early to have faith in the team - or to settle on any hope or expectation. We still don't know what the team will look like and we have new players in the squad that have never kicked a ball in a Cardiff shirt.

It is clear from the make up of the squad and from the performance yesterday (although just a friendly in the heat) that we have a weakness in central defence, and a lack of quality and numbers in the striker department. Goalkeepers and midfield look at least OK.

If we bring in an experienced centre back, a right winger with an end product, and two strikers that are an upgrade on Ikpeazu and Hugill, then I will have confidence we can operate in the top half of the table, and maybe threaten the play offs. If not - no.

Out of interest I had a look at the 2017-18 squad, and can see many reasons why we might not have had high hopes back then. I still remember Frederic Guonongbe's first game point blank miss. Certainly didn't have faith then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–1...ty_F.C._season

Did notice that we loaned Rhys Healey to Torguay during that season. He's done all right since, so maybe some hope for Keiron Evans?

He can't have 2 main goals. It's either being in the team or going for promotion.
    I suspect it's the former.

There is a time for negativity. That's when things are happening, or have happened and it didn't go well. Then change is needed. But right now, we have a fresh start. Can we wait until we're at least 10 games in before we start with the death knell?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There is a time for negativity. That's when things are happening, or have happened and it didn't go well. Then change is needed. But right now, we have a fresh start. Can we wait until we're at least 10 games in before we start with the death knell?
    I’d give it ten minutes into the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Can we be as good as Forest who were the worst team to go up last year?

They were good but no world beaters

Not impossible

But if Morison pulls it off with 12 new players and no money, it’d be quite something
    They had a decent run in the FA Cup beating Arsenal and Leicester and were unlucky against Liverpool. Not a bad season.

forget about promotion. very very slim chance of that happening.
    it's good the players have ambition though

I’d give it ten minutes into the first game.
    Haha true, especially if we go our usual early goal down

Can’t fault any player having ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Can’t fault any player having ambition.
    Not on this board - some always waiting to burst whatever bubble is being blown

I'm all for ambition but if we win promotion this season I'll streak on the pitch.

It's going to be interesting, have we got the players to compete in the most demanding league? Time will tell. Hopefully we get off to a good start for SM sake.

Get behind the team , support the management and players or feck off down to Swansea !

Miserable moaning bastards , don't know why some people bother

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Get behind the team , support the management and players or feck off down to Swansea !

Miserable moaning bastards , don't know why some people bother
    Do you reckon we'll win promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you reckon we'll win promotion?
    I have no idea

But when I go on a date I am looking for the touchdown not worrying about what she orders for starters

Are we speaking the same language ? 🤔

I have no idea

But when I go on a date I am looking for the touchdown not worrying about what she orders for starters

Are we speaking the same language ? ��
    Absolutely, so if you meet someone and think the touchdown is miles away you go somewhere else.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely, so if you meet someone and think the touchdown is miles away you go somewhere else.
    Or straight to the mains, followed by sloppy seconds..

I have no idea

Are we speaking the same language ? 🤔
    What about the ‘touch up’?

Morison has achieved two objectives - substantially reduced the wage bill, and by the looks of it, introduced a group of players who will be able to play a more possession-based game. I think he's done really good job so far, but I really doubt whether Morison expects any sort of play off challenge with Nelson and McGuiness as our 2 centre backs and Harris/Watters up front. In my opinion none of those 4 are good enough for push into the top six. We might play decent football after many years of pragmatic stuff, but until the squad is strengthened further at the 'business ends' of the pitch, I think we're mid-table at best..