+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did Ronnie Bird used to run The Romilly?

Did Ronnie Bird used to run The Romilly?

Mrs daughter about to start working behind the bar..

Re: Did Ronnie Bird used to run The Romilly?

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Mrs daughter about to start working behind the bar..
    Yes

Before that , Canton Cross

Yes and the Custom House before that - Ronnie was a top bloke who always kept a good pint. Does anyone know which ex footballer and member of Southampton’s FA Cup winning team in 1976 took over as a relief landlord at the Romilly when Ronnie went on holiday one year?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes and the Custom House before that - Ronnie was a top bloke who always kept a good pint. Does anyone know which ex footballer and member of Southampton’s FA Cup winning team in 1976 took over as a relief landlord at the Romilly when Ronnie went on holiday one year?
    I never knew that he was landlord of the Custom House?
    I knew he was landlord of the pub opposite the old ice-rink (Golden Cross?).
    As kids in Llandaff North, we would knock on the door of his modest semi-detached and ask him for his autograph. He was always happy to oblige, in fairness.

Peter Rodriguez (spelling?).
    I think he had family in the Cardiff area, so that's why I chose him?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yes

Before that , Canton Cross
    Who are you calling ****,****?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Peter Rodrigues, from Docks family but he was a Llanrumney boy. His Uncle Johnny had The Boar’s Head, just a bit further down Leckwith Rd than the Canton Cross.

Apologies, my memory of Cardiff pubs has gone to pot in the years since I stopped drinking - Ronnie was the landlord of the Golden Cross, not the Custom House.

As a kid, Peter Rodrigues lived a few hundred yards from the Romilly, but it's not him - this bloke had no connection with Cardiff apart from playing here for Southampton a few times..

On one of our mini-breaks, in the Cotswolds, me and the Mrs had a quality night (and later), drinking with the landlord of a pub in Moreton-in- Marsh.
    He played in that team, but can’t remember his name, wonder if it’s the same fella.
    Part of me, seems to remember him as a short, stocky, midfielder/winger (but this was in my Stella drinking days ) god knows what time we got out of there, it was pointless going to bed

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    On one of our mini-breaks, in the Cotswolds, me and the Mrs had a quality night (and later), drinking with the landlord of a pub in Moreton-in- Marsh.
    He played in that team, but can’t remember his name, wonder if it’s the same fella.
    Part of me, seems to remember him as a short, stocky, midfielder/winger (but this was in my Stella drinking days ) god knows what time we got out of there, it was pointless going to bed
    Don’t ask me how, but just asked the Mrs and she said his name was Jimmy Steele, just looked him up and she was spot on

got to guess peter rodrigues

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    got to guess peter rodrigues
    Have you read the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don’t ask me how, but just asked the Mrs and she said his name was Jimmy Steele, just looked him up and she was spot on
    Well done to your Mrs, Jim Steele it was. I seem to remember him saying he'd worked a lot in the west country when we had a chat with him in the Romilly (this would have been about twenty years ago I'd guess) - he was a centreback, hard bastard as I remember it.

His Wikipedia entry mentions the pub in Moreton In Marsh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Steele_(footballer)

Have you read the thread?
    thanks im going back to try and workout spotify

Apologies, my memory of Cardiff pubs has gone to pot in the years since I stopped drinking - Ronnie was the landlord of the Golden Cross, not the Custom House.

As a kid, Peter Rodrigues lived a few hundred yards from the Romilly, but it's not him - this bloke had no connection with Cardiff apart from playing here for Southampton a few times..
    ? The Peter Rodrigues who we sold to Leicester and eventually captained Southampton to a Cup Final win is definitely a Cardiff boy, ex Ball Road scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ? The Peter Rodrigues who we sold to Leicester and eventually captained Southampton to a Cup Final win is definitely a Cardiff boy, ex Ball Road scholar.
    I think you may be misreading what I said Mr Parker.

I think you may be misreading what I said Mr Parker.
    I’m confused... who had no connection to Cardiff apart from playing here for Southampton a few times?

I’m confused... who had no connection to Cardiff apart from playing here for Southampton a few times?
    Jim Steele.

- Kafka has entered the chat

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    - Kafka has entered the chat
    What a Metamorphosis!

He was indeed had a plaque on the wall somewhere at Llanrumney University Of Life