+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Cohesion gone out the window with all these subs.

Is it 0-0?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Is it 0-0?
    Yep!

0-0 72mins

Should be 1-0 Newport.

This has turned into a U23 game now.

1-0 City

Whyte

Lovely goal. Awesome pace to get on the end of that

2-0 City

Crole

Whyte showing than he can contribute this season. Probably the best player this second half.

Crole is quality. I didn't realise he was this mobile.

Colwill too. So comfortable on the ball.

I enjoyed that. A lot of positives.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Pre season friendlies all about getting fit and getting some match practice under your belts, getting used to new team mates and new ideas. Results are not everything at this stage of the season.

Really enjoyed a lot of the football we played in the first half when I thought we were completely on top, but had very little to show for our dominance in terms of goal attempts. I’m not sure how strong County’s first half team was though. They were certainly stronger in the second half and were on top as we lost all of the fluency we showed in the first half until we put together a lovely move for the first goal and a
    good second one a few minutes later gave us a win I thought we deserved over the ninety minutes.

If we’re going to be as short of attackers in the coming weeks as we are now, Gavin Whyte did enough tonight to merit a few more chances to see if he can establish himself in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He could rise like a phoenix from the flames
    I got it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    This summer has seen (and is still seeing) probably the biggest player turn over and change in style that we have ever had.

I'm really excited for the new style, new players, new season, new expectations.

Hopefully against a background of positivity.
    How many players did we have left under Mackay's first season? That window from Mackay was so good. Gunnar, Cowie, Conway, Taylor, Turner, Miller, Gestede, Mason, Kiss, Earnie. Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How many players did we have left under Mackay's first season? That window from Mackay was so good. Gunnar, Cowie, Conway, Taylor, Turner, Miller, Gestede, Mason, Kiss, Earnie. Not bad
    he did inherent:

Marshall, Heaton, Hudson, Gerrard, Quinn, Naylor, Blake, Whittingham and McPhail

which is a pretty decent core to build around

Just got back. I like the look of Tanner, who seems as comfortable cutting inside on his left as he is going past the full back and using his right. We desperately need a presence up front, I just don't see Watters cutting it here. Wintle and NG both look the part - calming presences and comfortable on the ball. No coincidence they learnt their trade at Crewe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he did inherent:

Marshall, Heaton, Hudson, Gerrard, Quinn, Naylor, Blake, Whittingham and McPhail

which is a pretty decent core to build around
    Quinn and Naylor were barely involved; Blake and Gerrard not so much, may due to injuries.

Arguably Earnshaw was the worst of the players Malky brought in. The big thing was the work ethic. It was never there under Jones, where we could outplay anyone on our day, but looked utter shit the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I got it
    Pat on the back for you then.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Shirley Tanner’s nick name gotta be Elsie ?
    I agree. But do you realise no one under 50 knows what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Shirley Tanner’s nick name gotta be Elsie ?
    That was noted the day after he was signed. And for good measure Colwill needs to be called, 'Minnie.'

StT.
    <><

I was impressed with Denham in the first half, though him and NG looked very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Quinn and Naylor were barely involved; Blake and Gerrard not so much, may due to injuries.

Arguably Earnshaw was the worst of the players Malky brought in. The big thing was the work ethic. It was never there under Jones, where we could outplay anyone on our day, but looked utter shit the rest of the time.
    Mackay’s team was:
    Miller Mason/Gestede
    Conway Whitts Gunnar Cowie
    Taylor Turner Hudson McN
    Marshall

So only 4 of the starting 11 were there before. Granted, they were all very good

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Really enjoyed a lot of the football we played in the first half when I thought we were completely on top, but had very little to show for our dominance in terms of goal attempts. I’m not sure how strong County’s first half team was though. They were certainly stronger in the second half and were on top as we lost all of the fluency we showed in the first half until we put together a lovely move for the first goal and a
    good second one a few minutes later gave us a win I thought we deserved over the ninety minutes.

If we’re going to be as short of attackers in the coming weeks as we are now, Gavin Whyte did enough tonight to merit a few more chances to see if he can establish himself in the squad.
    All kinds of permutations for the front three as it stands, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I'll ask you what I asked my eldest - Out of all the players we have at present, who will end the season with the most goals? And how many will he get?

My lad said Colwill and reckons he'll get into double figures if he plays regularly but there's the rub for all of them. I'll say Watters with seven or eight but I'd love Isaak Davies to find his shooting boots. I'm assuming another forward will come in before the season starts but we'll see.

What combination would you play at centre back? My lad is sure it'll be Nelson and Ng if it's four at the back, he's probably right.

The Ng and Denham combination was so far ahead of McGuinness and Nelson.