+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    All kinds of permutations for the front three as it stands, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I'll ask you what I asked my eldest - Out of all the players we have at present, who will end the season with the most goals? And how many will he get?

My lad said Colwill and reckons he'll get into double figures if he plays regularly but there's the rub for all of them. I'll say Watters with seven or eight but I'd love Isaak Davies to find his shooting boots. I'm assuming another forward will come in before the season starts but we'll see.

What combination would you play at centre back? My lad is sure it'll be Nelson and Ng if it's four at the back, he's probably right.
    We were so much better at playing out from the back in the first half, it was noticeable how much tougher we found it in the second half, but should that be the main criteria for selection and I did think Newport’s second half team was a lot stronger than the first half one. I still think we need a centreback, but I think Nelson will play and, possibly Ng if we don’t bring anyone in although I wonder if he’ll still be needed at right back.

As for top scorer, not a clue because for Watters to get that number of goals he’d be needing to start most weeks and I don’t see any of our current forwards playing often enough to score significant numbers of goals because Morison will be chopping and changing a lot if we go with what we’ve got at the moment.

I couldn’t disagree with what Morison said about Tanner after Saturday’s match, but it was typical him as he criticised a young player capable of making things happen. I’ve mentioned it disappointing not to see Ashford given some game time last night, but I think we learned that we are going to play a high pressing game - that seemed to be confirmed by the manager after the game. So, does the high press become the major component in selection (or one of them at least)? If it does, then how much of Colwill are we going to see?

If Colwill is considered to be a member of the Morison’s first eleven every week, then I’d expect him to play further forward and he could just about end up getting into double figures, but we’re two forwards short for me and I think we’re going to have real problems breaking down Championship defences with what we’ve got at the moment - I do still expect at least one striker to arrive before we play Norwich though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    All kinds of permutations for the front three as it stands, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I'll ask you what I asked my eldest - Out of all the players we have at present, who will end the season with the most goals? And how many will he get?

My lad said Colwill and reckons he'll get into double figures if he plays regularly but there's the rub for all of them. I'll say Watters with seven or eight but I'd love Isaak Davies to find his shooting boots. I'm assuming another forward will come in before the season starts but we'll see.

What combination would you play at centre back? My lad is sure it'll be Nelson and Ng if it's four at the back, he's probably right.
    So far for me McGuinness has looked the best of the back 4 and has to start.
    We look vulnerable against crosses/ set pieces now ( how things have changed).

Nelson looks out of his comfort zone playing out from the back abs I can see Ng playing right back as not sure Romeo is the answer and Campbell hasn’t impressed to date.

Early yet, but we need an experienced , commanding centre half. A fit Morrison would be that, but I don’t think we can rely on that.

Midfield is going to be interesting- so many options. Rino, Wintle and especially King have looked good.

Sang not out of place there either so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    So far for me McGuinness has looked the best of the back 4 and has to start.
    We look vulnerable against crosses/ set pieces now ( how things have changed).

Nelson looks out of his comfort zone playing out from the back abs I can see Ng playing right back as not sure Romeo is the answer and Campbell hasn’t impressed to date.

Early yet, but we need an experienced , commanding centre half. A fit Morrison would be that, but I don’t think we can rely on that.

Midfield is going to be interesting- so many options. Rino, Wintle and especially King have looked good.

Sang not out of place there either so far.
    McGuinness caught in possession a few times yesterday though. I felt Ng was the best of the centre backs. Used to be a fan of Nelson but now I see what his critics have been saying for a while. Shouldn’t be starting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    McGuinness caught in possession a few times yesterday though. I felt Ng was the best of the centre backs. Used to be a fan of Nelson but now I see what his critics have been saying for a while. Shouldn’t be starting for us.
    I'm definitely worried about our defence and we need an experienced CB. Probably two. I really hope we get this sorted soon otherwise we're going into the Norwich match and we'll be a rinse and repeat of last season. NG is not the answer. We're going to be up against some huge players in The Championship. I hate to say it but they way I see it is we're still going to ship a shed-load of goals and struggle to score enough. Granted, the ones we do score will be gorgeous to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I'm not convinced that how comfortable someone is on the ball should be the first criteria when considering which defender to pick. It still seems to me that defending has to come first. Last season I thought Ng was a risk worth taking in a back three - he cost us some goals and was targeted aerially at times, but I'd say the overall effect of playing him there was a positive one. I'm not sure the same would apply if he was part of a two - for me, Denham combines physical presence with comfort on the ball best out of our current central defenders, but would say that he would be a risk currently, especially alongside Ng, I still think we need a Ajayi, Hector type, but they're probably out of our wage range.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

If we’re going to be as short of attackers in the coming weeks as we are now, Gavin Whyte did enough tonight to merit a few more chances to see if he can establish himself in the squad.
    He's been very lively in both pre-season games now. Could surprise a few people if he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    He's been very lively in both pre-season games now. Could surprise a few people if he stays.
    I hope he stays.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that City didn't have any names on their shirts and County didn't have any names or numbers! I'd planned to walk down but without commentary I'd not have had a clue with my eyesight!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned that City didn't have any names on their shirts and County didn't have any names or numbers! I'd planned to walk down but without commentary I'd not have had a clue with my eyesight!
    ......but interestingly, if that's the right word, rather than go 1-11 as we did on Saturday, certain players on Tuesday were wearing what I assume will be their squad numbers for this season - Wintle 15 (as last season) and Tanner 20, are two I recall.