Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 0 NEWPORT COUNTY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I got it
    Pat on the back for you then.

Just got back. I like the look of Tanner, who seems as comfortable cutting inside on his left as he is going past the full back and using his right. We desperately need a presence up front, I just don't see Watters cutting it here. Wintle and NG both look the part - calming presences and comfortable on the ball. No coincidence they learnt their trade at Crewe.

I was impressed with Denham in the first half, though him and NG looked very comfortable.

The Ng and Denham combination was so far ahead of McGuinness and Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    So far for me McGuinness has looked the best of the back 4 and has to start.
    We look vulnerable against crosses/ set pieces now ( how things have changed).

Nelson looks out of his comfort zone playing out from the back abs I can see Ng playing right back as not sure Romeo is the answer and Campbell hasn’t impressed to date.

Early yet, but we need an experienced , commanding centre half. A fit Morrison would be that, but I don’t think we can rely on that.

Midfield is going to be interesting- so many options. Rino, Wintle and especially King have looked good.

Sang not out of place there either so far.
    McGuinness caught in possession a few times yesterday though. I felt Ng was the best of the centre backs. Used to be a fan of Nelson but now I see what his critics have been saying for a while. Shouldn’t be starting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    McGuinness caught in possession a few times yesterday though. I felt Ng was the best of the centre backs. Used to be a fan of Nelson but now I see what his critics have been saying for a while. Shouldn’t be starting for us.
    I'm definitely worried about our defence and we need an experienced CB. Probably two. I really hope we get this sorted soon otherwise we're going into the Norwich match and we'll be a rinse and repeat of last season. NG is not the answer. We're going to be up against some huge players in The Championship. I hate to say it but they way I see it is we're still going to ship a shed-load of goals and struggle to score enough. Granted, the ones we do score will be gorgeous to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I'm not convinced that how comfortable someone is on the ball should be the first criteria when considering which defender to pick. It still seems to me that defending has to come first. Last season I thought Ng was a risk worth taking in a back three - he cost us some goals and was targeted aerially at times, but I'd say the overall effect of playing him there was a positive one. I'm not sure the same would apply if he was part of a two - for me, Denham combines physical presence with comfort on the ball best out of our current central defenders, but would say that he would be a risk currently, especially alongside Ng, I still think we need a Ajayi, Hector type, but they're probably out of our wage range.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that City didn't have any names on their shirts and County didn't have any names or numbers! I'd planned to walk down but without commentary I'd not have had a clue with my eyesight!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned that City didn't have any names on their shirts and County didn't have any names or numbers! I'd planned to walk down but without commentary I'd not have had a clue with my eyesight!
    ......but interestingly, if that's the right word, rather than go 1-11 as we did on Saturday, certain players on Tuesday were wearing what I assume will be their squad numbers for this season - Wintle 15 (as last season) and Tanner 20, are two I recall.