+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife crime in this area

Knife crime in this area

Another “ incident” close to Ely Leisure Centre earlier today , in which two teenagers were taken into police custody. I don’t get it ,and never will. Why do you need to carry a knife around with you ? If you’re carrying one, then you must be wanting to use it sooner or later. I don’t see it getting any better in the future,unless the authorities really want to change the rules in this country. What do others think ?

Re: Knife crime in this area

Guns. Lots of guns. Should sort things out right?

I think that it getting worse is partly due to the glamorisation of gang culture perpetuated by certain musical genres. There’s been a normalisation of misogynistic, racist and violent lyrics in mainstream music and no one’s speaking out because that wouldn’t be cool.
    It’s become cool to be a bad boy amongst young people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I think that it getting worse is partly due to the glamorisation of gang culture perpetuated by certain musical genres. There’s been a normalisation of misogynistic, racist and violent lyrics in mainstream music and no one’s speaking out because that wouldn’t be cool.
    Spot on but be prepared to be shot down for daring to criticise modern day youth culture !

Mods and Rockers carried knives many many years ago

I’d say your last sentence has always held true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Another “ incident” close to Ely Leisure Centre earlier today , in which two teenagers were taken into police custody. I don’t get it ,and never will. Why do you need to carry a knife around with you ? If you’re carrying one, then you must be wanting to use it sooner or later. I don’t see it getting any better in the future,unless the authorities really want to change the rules in this country. What do others think ?
    What rules do you want to change?

https://www.police.uk/pu/advice-crim...on-of-weapons/

My gut feeling is that knife crime is more likely to reduce through cultural change than through tinkering with legal proscriptions and sentencing guidelines. I doubt greater restrictions or tougher sentences will have an effect - they haven't in the past. When I was working for our local Council there was a low level arms race of knife carrying (and sometimes use) often where frightened kids carried a knife for what they thought was self defence, but ended up escalating incidents that might have been avoided. Hard to break the cycle of fear and violence - but we had some success working with community/gang leaders to make knife carrying appear a sign of weakness not strength.

Guns don't kill people, Rappers do!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Spot on but be prepared to be shot down for daring to criticise modern day youth culture !
    too right, and don't get me started on those tikstagrams they play on their gameboys

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Guns don't kill people, Rappers do!
    From Bristol Zoo to B&Q

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

My gut feeling is that knife crime is more likely to reduce through cultural change than through tinkering with legal proscriptions and sentencing guidelines. I doubt greater restrictions or tougher sentences will have an effect - they haven't in the past. When I was working for our local Council there was a low level arms race of knife carrying (and sometimes use) often where frightened kids carried a knife for what they thought was self defence, but ended up escalating incidents that might have been avoided. Hard to break the cycle of fear and violence - but we had some success working with community/gang leaders to make knife carrying appear a sign of weakness not strength.
    I've always read with interest Glasgows strategy to knife crime that was (I think) successful.

If Glasgow can do it, where it was entrenched (knife crime) in their gangs, its doable in other cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Reformed Cardiff City fans’ll put the world to rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Reformed Cardiff City fans’ll put the world to rights!
    That was flippant and I'm sorry if I've offended any reformed Cardiff City bad boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I've always read with interest Glasgows strategy to knife crime that was (I think) successful.

If Glasgow can do it, where it was entrenched (knife crime) in their gangs, its doable in other cities?
    Mogwai

but god forbid you say anything about LGBTQIAXYZÅÖÄ..not having a go at that community but there needs to be some sort of regulation

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    but god forbid you say anything about LGBTQIAXYZÅÖÄ..not having a go at that community but there needs to be some sort of regulation
    You think people don't say anything bad about the LGBTQ community?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You think people don't say anything bad about the LGBTQ community?
    not on here. hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    What connection between the LGBT community and gang violence and knife crime have you noticed?

A 15 year old boy was sentenced to life in Liverpool for stabbing a 12 year old girl in a Snapchat row. His defence was that he accidentally stabbed the young girl in self defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That was flippant and I'm sorry if I've offended any reformed Cardiff City bad boys.
    I've always been a goody two shoes mate so no offence taken !

I do like a bit of old man outrage every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Yes! Cultural change is what’s required - same with drugs.
    It’s largely worked on drink driving - by making it socially unacceptable.

Loads of factors at play, but I think this is more connected to the issue than people like to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    What connection between the LGBT community and gang violence and knife crime have you noticed?
    Let me say that the TBG community believes in scatter cushions, joss sticks and real ale.

Cathays is the crime hot spot in south wales. The police and WAG keep this under the radar as not to deter students come to the University as they and the Uni bring in lots of £££££££ . And knife crime is rife around the capital. Again, kept under the radar from news by WAG .