+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

Speed limits in built-up areas look set to be reduced from 30mph to 20mph in Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Whilst many in north Cardiff have been keeping to the new limit, plenty haven't. I look forward to hearing about bus and taxi drivers being fined for speeding in bus lanes, as many seem oblivious to the new 20 limit.

it's pathetic, it will soon be quicker to use a bike or run. Work journeys are killing me being stuck in a queue of 20mph nobbers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    it's pathetic, it will soon be quicker to use a bike or run. Work journeys are killing me being stuck in a queue of 20mph nobbers
    Isn't that the aim, or one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Isn't that the aim, or one of them?
    Of course. Still painful

As I said in the other thread about this, 2 weeks ago, I am fed up of being undertaken by cyclists doing more than 20mph

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    As I said in the other thread about this, 2 weeks ago, I am fed up of being undertaken by cyclists doing more than 20mph
    Why do you give a shit?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Whilst many in north Cardiff have been keeping to the new limit, plenty haven't. I look forward to hearing about bus and taxi drivers being fined for speeding in bus lanes, as many seem oblivious to the new 20 limit.
    It will cause a problem for buses, certainly. A 5 mile journey at 20mph will take 5 minutes longer than a 5 mile journey at 30mph. Buses tend to run on tight schedules for profitability and more delays will mean either less services or a need for more buses and drivers, with costs going up as a result.

If a 20 mph limit is not enforced (and where I drive/cycle/walk in North Cardiff it clearly isn't), what is the point of having it?

It's utterly ridiculous.

All for it.Get more speed cams as well.There;s some right nutters on the road.Save fuel as well save the planet.More speed bumps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why do you give a shit?
    It's a great advert for switching to a bike, particularly for short journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    All for it.Get more speed cams as well.There;s some right nutters on the road.Save fuel as well save the planet.More speed bumps as well.
    Amen brother!

Hopefully that will mean more AMs will be fined.

most modern cars are designed to be most fuel efficient at around 50 to 60.

it's a mild inconvenience, and I drive around North Cardiff all the time.
    how many kids lives being saved would make this change worthwhile? I would suggest if it saves 1 single life it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It will cause a problem for buses, certainly. A 5 mile journey at 20mph will take 5 minutes longer than a 5 mile journey at 30mph. Buses tend to run on tight schedules for profitability and more delays will mean either less services or a need for more buses and drivers, with costs going up as a result.
    which bus routes are driving for 5 miles through 20mph roads?

Driving at 20mph isn't any more fuel efficient than driving at 30mph. Plus a one mile trip will take 50% longer at 20mph, so exhaust fumes for 50% more, and in theory 50% more vehicles travelling through towns and cities.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Driving at 20mph isn't any more fuel efficient than driving at 30mph. Plus a one mile trip will take 50% longer at 20mph, so exhaust fumes for 50% more, and in theory 50% more vehicles travelling through towns and cities.
    Good argument for electric.

Edit: or trams, bikes, Hop over to Amsterdam. Spent a few weeks there last month. Puts us to shame.

MONORAIL TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    #23 through Rhiwbina and Whitchurch?

Most of them will be soon

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    #23 through Rhiwbina and Whitchurch?
    yes probably that one

I know, what about this WFH thing I hear people talking about. Who cares about 20mph commuting then?

You'll find loads in the valleys. I bet there's loads in Cardiff as well. The 17/18 to Ely would surely be all 20mph and that's a fair distance.

My local route covers 8 miles between Abercynon and Aberdare, which would become all 20 mph. That stretch takes around 45 minutes at present. It would easily need another 15 minutes each way, adding 30 minutes overall. It currently needs 6 buses and drivers to run an every 20 minute service. It would need an extra 2 buses and drivers to maintain that 20 minute frequency or be reduced to a half hourly frequency to maintain the current number of buses using it.

If you reduce a bus frequency less people then use it. If you increase costs on a route, fares would have to rise to accommodate. Fare rises mean less people use the bus. Routes that make minimal profits may end up being cut.