+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

The thing is with some people today they have to be told to slow down, the same as they have to be told to pick their litter up.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    We are into safety issues should this happen. Over the years I've had to accelerate to get out of dangerous situations, particularly on motorways, and as a result exceeded the speed limit. Lord knows what might have happened if a speed limiter had kicked in at such times.

I've heard this counter argument so many times and it's nonsense. There were 1560 road fatalities recorded in 2021. You're still going to see a huge reduction by implementing this law. Besides, as a drive you should anticipate these problems before they occur that lead to hitting the accelerator.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Like I said, I can see the benefit in cars being limited to say 80mph, but what on earth do we gain from the above?
    You know the chances of a pedestrian dying from being hit by a car reduces dramatically when going 30 compared to 40 and 20 compared to 30 and so on? That's what we gain from it.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    So the use of GPS tracking isnt an issue? Of course it is.
    There's no tracking or privacy concerns wrt speed limiters. Do you own a mobile phone? PC? Take your concerns elsewhere.

~Maybe so?

But situations vary both with road conditions and vehicles. For example a car can be limited to 70mph on a motorway, but what about a car towing a caravan. The limiter is on the car set at 70, whereas the speed limit if towing is 60mph
    Err, okay. So let's ditch this silly idea because it won't work for <1% of the driving population.

There's some classic resistance to change going on here, peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    What if you have an emergency like driving a heart attack victim to hospital in the middle of the night?
    Or you're on an empty motorway at midnight?
    If you're driving a heart attack victim to hospital I'd like to know why you didn't phone an ambulance?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If you're driving a heart attack victim to hospital I'd like to know why you didn't phone an ambulance?
    what if a volcano erupts and the pyroclastic flow is traveling at 72 mph?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what if a volcano erupts and the pyroclastic flow is traveling at 72 mph?
    It gets a ticket.

If it was someone you held any affection for , you wouldn't want to wait for an ambulance to turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If it was someone you held any affection for, you wouldn't want to wait 3 hours for an ambulance to turn up.
    That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    There's some classic resistance to change going on here, peeps.
    They are building new apartment blocks without any parking bays. The cost of fuel is going through the roof, and fossil fuels are rapidly being removed from the energy supply mix. 20mph speed limits in cities, and lower speeds on motorways. Where you see resistance to change, I see the nudge units preparing the world for a future without private car ownership.

Perhaps here’s why

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...an-6849193.amp

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    If it was someone you held any affection for , you wouldn't want to wait for an ambulance to turn up.
    Heart attacks are a priority for ambulance crews. Not only should it turn up quickly, but A&E would have more chance of being prepared for the patient. If you just turned up at A&E with someone suffering a heart attack they won't be seen as quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    That's not a heart attack

I just tweeted some clown who said 20 mph was a good thing because it reduced the risk of accidents - I said fair enough, let's reduce the max speed to 5 mph then

That's not a heart attack

Seek and thee will find

[QUOTE=superfeathers;5321214]
    This 20mph limit might well swell the confers at Cardiff bay

I don’t understand how the speed limit could affect the size of trees in Cardiff
    It's a money tree

You won't save fuel as driving at 20mph you need to be in a lower gear,hence more pollution as you will be using more fuel.

Had my first experience of the 20 today. Magor to Portskewett.

I stuck to 20 in all the 20 spots which is about 75% of the five mile journey. I had three cars overtake me and one w4nker sign off a brand new 22 plate Range Rover driver

On the return journey I had two vans overtake me but no w4nker signs

My truck struggled to stay at 20 and my fuel average was 4.6mpg. I later did a 4 mile stretch of road and stuck to the 30mph limit. I averaged 7.7.

I'll be honest, I found it an absolute ball ache.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62377362

Two stretches of road could have 20mph speed limits abandoned, less than three months after they were introduced.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Two stretches of road could have 20mph speed limits abandoned, less than three months after they were introduced.
    Why do they get to say they don't like it put it back to thirty?

It's the same for everyone either it's 20 for everyone or 30 for everyone?

Scrap that take it back to thiry for reveryone twenty is just was to low!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Why do they get to say they don't like it put it back to thirty?

It's the same for everyone either they do it or they don't ?
    it makes sense to put it back to 30 if it's on a through road, but keep 20 on side roads and housing estates.
    hopefully they'll arrive there eventually

I have my driving assessment tomorrow after having my right leg amputated. I actually use my prosthetic to drive and the biggest problem I've got is actually keeping the car at 20mph.My driving assessor thinks it's stupid as does my driving instructor who giggles and admits she can never keep to the speed limit yet muggins yer will fail if I can't keep the car to 20 as that will be seen as not keeping control of the car. Makes my blood boil.

Since the aim is to reduce accidents and cut pollution, can we expect Drakeford to petition Westminster for a smaller Barnett settlement since hospitals will be used less and we'll no be spending as much on fuel duty and VAT?

Good!

The blanket 20mph limit is ridiculous overeach by the WG

I went through that stretch again today

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I went through that stretch again today
    I've driven through Llandaff North and Whitchurch up to the roundabout, and frequently haven't gone above 17/18mph. Much in the same way that cautious drivers go a couple of MPH below 30 in case they exceed the limit, they now are going a couple of MPH below the 20 limit.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Good!

The blanket 20mph limit is ridiculous overeach by the WG
    Might be an idea for you to read the policy.