+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    I agree with what you have said throughout this thread.

My frustration with transport in South Wales, particularly when attending events in Cardiff, (I live near Use) is that public transport is shocking. There needs to be greater investment in infrastructure, and quickly, to enable safer cycling, Rail and Bus.
    I totally agree with you. It is shocking. It's something that, if I didn't live within easy(ish) walking distance of the city centre, I'd not bother with Cardiff and would move to a city that had a better public transport.

I think the implementation of cycle lanes and connecting networks has been awful. When the next bikes arrived there was no system in pedestrianised areas to safely use them, there still isn't. All this is part of a wider culture change to work and transport that's needed in the UK. Cardiff is not good at this stuff and Tuerto's right to say that Eric has made really good points and arguments about the effect of these restrictions. However, I agree with Rjk that keeping the bus network at 30mph would be the obvious solution.

James is right insomuch that you can object to wanting to have a blanket restriction for whatever reason and it doesn't have to be political. In fairness to James, he said it was stupid without referring to any political party or governance.

Cardiff's public transport system is sh*t. The implementation of cycle lanes is sh*t. Duty of care for pedestrians of all ages is sh*t. It's been like that for too long. So what do you want done about it? It's no good writing and complaining on here, do it to the Council and the Senedd. Campaigning and activism is hard f*cking work. It's slow and frustrating but it's the only way for me as I've given up on party politics and deal directly with people accountable.

When you're too afraid to walk around streets in Cardiff because of speeding traffic, or you don't go out because of fear, or you don't walk to the football because you feel unsafe, then surely we, as a community, should be trying to do something. It's not perfect and it's a blanket approach, but it will slow people down eventually, and for me and many others, that's a good thing.

I don't know, but I think a lot of people just either don't walk enough around Cardiff, or live in places where speeding cars are not a problem. You literally, have to walk in someone else's shoes to understand this stuff.

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I totally agree with you. It is shocking. It's something that, if I didn't live within easy(ish) walking distance of the city centre, I'd not bother with Cardiff and would move to a city that had a better public transport.

I think the implementation of cycle lanes and connecting networks has been awful. When the next bikes arrived there was no system in pedestrianised areas to safely use them, there still isn't. All this is part of a wider culture change to work and transport that's needed in the UK. Cardiff is not good at this stuff and Tuerto's right to say that Eric has made really good points and arguments about the effect of these restrictions. However, I agree with Rjk that keeping the bus network at 30mph would be the obvious solution.

James is right insomuch that you can object to wanting to have a blanket restriction for whatever reason and it doesn't have to be political. In fairness to James, he said it was stupid without referring to any political party or governance.

Cardiff's public transport system is sh*t. The implementation of cycle lanes is sh*t. Duty of care for pedestrians of all ages is sh*t. It's been like that for too long. So what do you want done about it? It's no good writing and complaining on here, do it to the Council and the Senedd. Campaigning and activism is hard f*cking work. It's slow and frustrating but it's the only way for me as I've given up on party politics and deal directly with people accountable.

When you're too afraid to walk around streets in Cardiff because of speeding traffic, or you don't go out because of fear, or you don't walk to the football because you feel unsafe, then surely we, as a community, should be trying to do something. It's not perfect and it's a blanket approach, but it will slow people down eventually, and for me and many others, that's a good thing.

I don't know, but I think a lot of people just either don't walk enough around Cardiff, or live in places where speeding cars are not a problem. You literally, have to walk in someone else's shoes to understand this stuff.
    It appears that (to someone who doesn't live in Cardiff) that they are gradually improving on the installation of cycle lanes. Albeit very slowly.

To improve the infrastructure in not only Cardiff, but South Wales as a whole, there needs to be radical thinking. I don't think this is a political thing, more that people are so against moving away from cars and the convenience they provide.

I think it needs people prepared to take on that radical way of think in the way that Andy Turnham and Chris Boardman have for Manchester.