+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Driving at 20mph isn't any more fuel efficient than driving at 30mph. Plus a one mile trip will take 50% longer at 20mph, so exhaust fumes for 50% more, and in theory 50% more vehicles travelling through towns and cities.
    Good argument for electric.

Edit: or trams, bikes, Hop over to Amsterdam. Spent a few weeks there last month. Puts us to shame.

You won't save fuel as driving at 20mph you need to be in a lower gear,hence more pollution as you will be using more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    As I said in the other thread about this, 2 weeks ago, I am fed up of being undertaken by cyclists doing more than 20mph
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why do you give a shit?
    It's a great advert for switching to a bike, particularly for short journeys.

Hopefully that will mean more AMs will be fined.

it's a mild inconvenience, and I drive around North Cardiff all the time.
    how many kids lives being saved would make this change worthwhile? I would suggest if it saves 1 single life it was worth it.

MONORAIL TIME

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    MONORAIL TIME
    It’s high time. Transport in the South Wales conurbation is Stone Age.

haha.....what a farcical decision...have these people EVER driven at 20mph??? Next stage they will want someone with a red flag (probably with a dragon on it) walking ahead of a vehicle......YCNMIU

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    which bus routes are driving for 5 miles through 20mph roads?
    Most of them will be soon

I know, what about this WFH thing I hear people talking about. Who cares about 20mph commuting then?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I know, what about this WFH thing I hear people talking about. Who cares about 20mph commuting then?
    just said on the radio the sennedd are going to allow more to keep working from home as its easier on them for care reasons

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    just said on the radio the sennedd are going to allow more to keep working from home as its easier on them for care reasons
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    which bus routes are driving for 5 miles through 20mph roads?
    You'll find loads in the valleys. I bet there's loads in Cardiff as well. The 17/18 to Ely would surely be all 20mph and that's a fair distance.

My local route covers 8 miles between Abercynon and Aberdare, which would become all 20 mph. That stretch takes around 45 minutes at present. It would easily need another 15 minutes each way, adding 30 minutes overall. It currently needs 6 buses and drivers to run an every 20 minute service. It would need an extra 2 buses and drivers to maintain that 20 minute frequency or be reduced to a half hourly frequency to maintain the current number of buses using it.

If you reduce a bus frequency less people then use it. If you increase costs on a route, fares would have to rise to accommodate. Fare rises mean less people use the bus. Routes that make minimal profits may end up being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You'll find loads in the valleys. I bet there's loads in Cardiff as well. The 17/18 to Ely would surely be all 20mph and that's a fair distance.

My local route covers 8 miles between Abercynon and Aberdare, which would become all 20 mph. That stretch takes around 45 minutes at present. It would easily need another 15 minutes each way, adding 30 minutes overall. It currently needs 6 buses and drivers to run an every 20 minute service. It would need an extra 2 buses and drivers to maintain that 20 minute frequency or be reduced to a half hourly frequency to maintain the current number of buses using it.

If you reduce a bus frequency less people then use it. If you increase costs on a route, fares would have to rise to accommodate. Fare rises mean less people use the bus. Routes that make minimal profits may end up being cut.
    simple answer is to keep the main through roads as 30 and make the side roads all 20

As has been said, 20mph around schools and playgrounds is understandable, maybe even town centres. But not everywhere that is currently a 30mph road. Road deaths and accidents have been more than halved in 30 years and road safety is better than ever.

This is a pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

Speed limits in built-up areas look set to be reduced from 30mph to 20mph in Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.
    May I be the first to suggest that we go down to 5mph and every time we leave the house we have to have a man with a red flag on a stick walking in front of us. Because this is the way things are going!

Three times in the last ten days I have come down Caerphilly Mountain (via the Black Cock) and onto Rhiwbina Hill, whereby lycra louts have over taken me doing way in excess of 20mph on their bikes. Why can't that feckin' 'orrible speed camera which is permanently placed there catch them as well as us motorists?

As you can tell I for one, am not for the 20mph speed limit!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    #23 through Rhiwbina and Whitchurch?
    Yep I was pleased with having the increase in speed in Nth CF rise to 20mph ..

Have to say it's worked ,it has calmed folk down ..

Imagine the money spinning cameras are on the way..

Get ready for this though :

https://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk...tn-fines-year/

A completely baseless and unpopular decision by the council, never!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

Speed limits in built-up areas look set to be reduced from 30mph to 20mph in Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.
    The speed limit in Manhattan is 25 MPH. I'm quite sure Cardiff could cope with 30 MPH.

If you hit a pedestrian:

at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

Source: Roadwise

It's worth bearing in mind that drivers are already speeding in 30mph zones so therefore are likely to be speeding in 20mph zones too. Not anyone on here of course, because we're all law-abiding and socially minded members of the community on CCMB.

Personally, I can't wait for smart limiters on vehicles so you won't have any choice. AI is going to be so much better at this stuff than you are. You won't even need speed cameras because of smart data logs. All this stuff is available in motorsport right now (Endurance racing & F1) and all the current bells and whistles come from team and manufacturer's innovations.

Even the World Endurance Championship is using biofuel this season.

If you hit a pedestrian:

It's worth bearing in mind that drivers are already speeding in 30mph zones so therefore are likely to be speeding in 20mph zones too. Not anyone on here of course, because we're all law-abiding and socially minded members of the community on CCMB.

Personally, I can't wait for smart limiters on vehicles so you won't have any choice. AI is going to be so much better at this stuff than you are. You won't even need speed cameras because of smart data logs. All this stuff is available in motorsport right now (Endurance racing & F1) and all the current bells and whistles come from team and manufacturer's innovations.

there is also research that shows the 90% death rate at 40mph is based on an 80% death rate given by the DofT which might be exaggeration, thanks to modern car design you can find 30% survival rates at 40 , but when we are all microchiped we will know the truth

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    there is also research that shows the 90% death rate at 40mph is based on an 80% death rate given by the DofT which might be exaggeration, thanks to modern car design you can find 30% survival rates at 40 , but when we are all microchiped we will know the truth
    I'm struggling to follow your argument but not your maths. I think you're arguing that a 70% survival rate at being hit by 'a vehicle' is good? I think that's from the viewpoint of the driver and not the pedestrian. It's important to note that vehicles, like people, come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm struggling to follow your argument but not your maths. I think you're arguing that a 70% survival rate at being hit by 'a vehicle' is good? I think that's from the viewpoint of the driver and not the pedestrian. It's important to note that vehicles, like people, come in all shapes and sizes.
    there is quite a big difference between 90% and 30%, if the welsh government are saying 90% of pedestrians will die in a 40mph crash they are lying . perhaps we should bring back tufty and teach people road safety

If you hit a pedestrian:

you're giving off strong authoritarian/fascistic vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    you're giving off strong authoritarian/fascistic vibes
    This is hilarious. Have you read some of the stuff on this board lately? You single out someone who's quoting figures from Roadwise, talking about road safety and automotive technology as authoritarian and fascistic!