+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

As has been said, 20mph around schools and playgrounds is understandable, maybe even town centres. But not everywhere that is currently a 30mph road. Road deaths and accidents have been more than halved in 30 years and road safety is better than ever.

This is a pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    which bus routes are driving for 5 miles through 20mph roads?
    17, 18, 21, 27, 28, 28b the list is endless

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You'll find loads in the valleys. I bet there's loads in Cardiff as well. The 17/18 to Ely would surely be all 20mph and that's a fair distance.

My local route covers 8 miles between Abercynon and Aberdare, which would become all 20 mph. That stretch takes around 45 minutes at present. It would easily need another 15 minutes each way, adding 30 minutes overall. It currently needs 6 buses and drivers to run an every 20 minute service. It would need an extra 2 buses and drivers to maintain that 20 minute frequency or be reduced to a half hourly frequency to maintain the current number of buses using it.

If you reduce a bus frequency less people then use it. If you increase costs on a route, fares would have to rise to accommodate. Fare rises mean less people use the bus. Routes that make minimal profits may end up being cut.
    simple answer is to keep the main through roads as 30 and make the side roads all 20

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    MONORAIL TIME
    It’s high time. Transport in the South Wales conurbation is Stone Age.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

Speed limits in built-up areas look set to be reduced from 30mph to 20mph in Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.
    May I be the first to suggest that we go down to 5mph and every time we leave the house we have to have a man with a red flag on a stick walking in front of us. Because this is the way things are going!

Three times in the last ten days I have come down Caerphilly Mountain (via the Black Cock) and onto Rhiwbina Hill, whereby lycra louts have over taken me doing way in excess of 20mph on their bikes. Why can't that feckin' 'orrible speed camera which is permanently placed there catch them as well as us motorists?

As you can tell I for one, am not for the 20mph speed limit!

haha.....what a farcical decision...have these people EVER driven at 20mph??? Next stage they will want someone with a red flag (probably with a dragon on it) walking ahead of a vehicle......YCNMIU

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    If a 20 mph limit is not enforced (and where I drive/cycle/walk in North Cardiff it clearly isn't), what is the point of having it?
    ESG score.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    #23 through Rhiwbina and Whitchurch?
    Yep I was pleased with having the increase in speed in Nth CF rise to 20mph ..

Have to say it's worked ,it has calmed folk down ..

Imagine the money spinning cameras are on the way..

Get ready for this though :

https://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk...tn-fines-year/

A completely baseless and unpopular decision by the council, never!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

Speed limits in built-up areas look set to be reduced from 30mph to 20mph in Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.
    The speed limit in Manhattan is 25 MPH. I'm quite sure Cardiff could cope with 30 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    ESG score.
    As you know I am a simple soul, and presume this is a new three-piece supergroup a la ELP.
    Would have thought it was more to do with Social, Environmental and Governance (SEG).
    Doesn't anyone care about the total failure of enforcement - apart from the concerned citizen who has knocked up an extremely convincing DIY mock-up of a yellow speed camera in a front garden of Pendywallt Road - the location of which is easily identified by multiple skid marks on the road just past said garden.

If you hit a pedestrian:

at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

Source: Roadwise

It's worth bearing in mind that drivers are already speeding in 30mph zones so therefore are likely to be speeding in 20mph zones too. Not anyone on here of course, because we're all law-abiding and socially minded members of the community on CCMB.

Personally, I can't wait for smart limiters on vehicles so you won't have any choice. AI is going to be so much better at this stuff than you are. You won't even need speed cameras because of smart data logs. All this stuff is available in motorsport right now (Endurance racing & F1) and all the current bells and whistles come from team and manufacturer's innovations.

Even the World Endurance Championship is using biofuel this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If you hit a pedestrian:

It's worth bearing in mind that drivers are already speeding in 30mph zones so therefore are likely to be speeding in 20mph zones too. Not anyone on here of course, because we're all law-abiding and socially minded members of the community on CCMB.

Personally, I can't wait for smart limiters on vehicles so you won't have any choice. AI is going to be so much better at this stuff than you are. You won't even need speed cameras because of smart data logs. All this stuff is available in motorsport right now (Endurance racing & F1) and all the current bells and whistles come from team and manufacturer's innovations.

there is also research that shows the 90% death rate at 40mph is based on an 80% death rate given by the DofT which might be exaggeration, thanks to modern car design you can find 30% survival rates at 40 , but when we are all microchiped we will know the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    As you know I am a simple soul, and presume this is a new three-piece supergroup a la ELP.
    Would have thought it was more to do with Social, Environmental and Governance (SEG).
    Doesn't anyone care about the total failure of enforcement - apart from the concerned citizen who has knocked up an extremely convincing DIY mock-up of a yellow speed camera in a front garden of Pendywallt Road - the location of which is easily identified by multiple skid marks on the road just past said garden.
    You got the right words in the wrong order

You got the right words in the wrong order
    Life the of that's my story

If you hit a pedestrian:

If you hit a pedestrian at 10mph etc etc etc when does it end? I’ve almost been involved in more crashes due to people driving slowly than I have because of people driving fast.

This Welsh Government seems to want to alienate drivers of motor vehicles to the point that it’s not practical to drive a car. Fantastic utopian idea but not practical at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    Of course. Still painful
    All the serious accidents are not on the roads that are being reduced to 20, they are slow enough already…..they haven’t got the man power to enforce it everywhere anyway but loads of people will get done and end losing points and licences. There’s already a backlog to re sit a test.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    there is also research that shows the 90% death rate at 40mph is based on an 80% death rate given by the DofT which might be exaggeration, thanks to modern car design you can find 30% survival rates at 40 , but when we are all microchiped we will know the truth
    I'm struggling to follow your argument but not your maths. I think you're arguing that a 70% survival rate at being hit by 'a vehicle' is good? I think that's from the viewpoint of the driver and not the pedestrian. It's important to note that vehicles, like people, come in all shapes and sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    If you hit a pedestrian at 10mph etc etc etc when does it end? I’ve almost been involved in more crashes due to people driving slowly than I have because of people driving fast.

This Welsh Government seems to want to alienate drivers of motor vehicles to the point that it’s not practical to drive a car. Fantastic utopian idea but not practical at all.
    I’d say it probably ends at 20mph except on sites because the risk reduction levels won’t be worth it any more.

If they could improve public transport alienating driving a car would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

The figures quoted clearly tell you where it ends. The faster you drive the significantly less likely that the soft organic human being hit by the large, solid, metal vehicle being driven too fast by another soft organic human encased in said large, metal, vehicle is likely to survive at 30mph as opposed to 20mph (as an example but as you see it gets worse the faster you drive above 30mph).

I walk everywhere in Cardiff, I used to cycle. Cars are by far the most dangerous things I encounter on a daily basis. Way higher than knife crime.

However, I'm not the person who's developing the driverless AI technology or the smart vehicles that will inevitably be mandatory because humans are notoriously bad at driving vehicles safely.

As for the being chipped. If you carry a smart phone, you pretty much are already.

It's funny how people are angry at the Welsh Government. As I mentioned earlier, having spent time in Amsterdam and other European cities that are removing vehicles from highly pedestrianised areas, they're a joy, and much safer to walk around.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    All the serious accidents are not on the roads that are being reduced to 20, they are slow enough already…..they haven’t got the man power to enforce it everywhere anyway but loads of people will get done and end losing points and licences. There’s already a backlog to re sit a test.
    They won't need the manpower to enforce it. It'll be programmed into your electric vehicle.

Road deaths and serious injuries in the UK - https://www.brake.org.uk/get-involve...20on%20average.

In 2020, 1,516 people were killed on UK roads, with 1,460 deaths recorded in Britain and 56 recorded in Northern Ireland. This was a significant decline compared with the previous five years is due in part to the lockdown measures that were imposed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The number of road deaths in the UK plateaued from 2012 to 2019 at around 1,850 deaths a year, or the equivalent of five a day, on average.

1,850 road deaths equates to 1 among every 36,000 UK citizens per year.

I'd bet more Britons die each year as a direct result of falling down stairs in their homes than on roads.

As for the being chipped. If you carry a smart phone, you pretty much are already.
    This is a logical fallacy, i.e. a false equivalence.

This is a logical fallacy, i.e. a false equivalence.
    Only if you're in denial.

The figures quoted clearly tell you where it ends. The faster you drive the significantly less likely that the soft organic human being hit by the large, solid, metal vehicle being driven too fast by another soft organic human encased in said large, metal, vehicle is likely to survive at 30mph as opposed to 20mph (as an example but as you see it gets worse the faster you drive above 30mph).

I walk everywhere in Cardiff, I used to cycle. Cars are by far the most dangerous things I encounter on a daily basis. Way higher than knife crime.

However, I'm not the person who's developing the driverless AI technology or the smart vehicles that will inevitably be mandatory because humans are notoriously bad at driving vehicles safely.

It's funny how people are angry at the Welsh Government. As I mentioned earlier, having spent time in Amsterdam and other European cities that are removing vehicles from highly pedestrianised areas, they're a joy, and much safer to walk around.
    As usual for Wales the politicians have overcooked the recipe and blamed everything on speed= accidents. I think 20mph is unnecessary other than on certain roads such as near schools. There is plenty of data online on accidents in Wales and here are a few facts. ...Since the 1970's accident rates, both severe and minor have been markedly decreasing across all categories.
    ...Motorcycles and pedal cycles are proportionately the most dangerous forms of transport for accidents when adjusted for distance travelled.

....16-24 year olds proportionately the most likely to be involved in road accidents.

....There are defined high accident areas, not motorways our near schools..but for example the A470 for vehicle accidents, and Newport Road, Cardiff for pedestrian accidents ( on reflection not surprising as this is a very difficult road to cross on foot)

In my travels around the UK I rarely come across traffic calming measures, specifically speed bumps, in towns and cities. In Cardiff they are everywhere. Most towns have 20mph limits near schools with illuminated signs warning motorists, not speed bumps. Such signs have the advantage of being active only when schools are open allowing motorists free flow at other times.

In my view Wales blunderbuss 20mph approach is unwise, and unnecessary