+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Re: Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    It appears that (to someone who doesn't live in Cardiff) that they are gradually improving on the installation of cycle lanes. Albeit very slowly.

To improve the infrastructure in not only Cardiff, but South Wales as a whole, there needs to be radical thinking. I don't think this is a political thing, more that people are so against moving away from cars and the convenience they provide.

I think it needs people prepared to take on that radical way of think in the way that Andy Turnham and Chris Boardman have for Manchester.
    Spot on! 🤙

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If you hit a pedestrian:

at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
    at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

Source: Roadwise

It's worth bearing in mind that drivers are already speeding in 30mph zones so therefore are likely to be speeding in 20mph zones too. Not anyone on here of course, because we're all law-abiding and socially minded members of the community on CCMB.

Personally, I can't wait for smart limiters on vehicles so you won't have any choice. AI is going to be so much better at this stuff than you are. You won't even need speed cameras because of smart data logs. All this stuff is available in motorsport right now (Endurance racing & F1) and all the current bells and whistles come from team and manufacturer's innovations.

Even the World Endurance Championship is using biofuel this season.
    you're giving off strong authoritarian/fascistic vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    This is hilarious. Have you read some of the stuff on this board lately? You single out someone who's quoting figures from Roadwise, talking about road safety and automotive technology as authoritarian and fascistic!

I'm seeing a CCMB version of Greta Thunberg

You sound like Neil from 'The Young Ones'

I can’t wait to see the fallout when they make speed limiters mandatory. Bring it on, I say.

There will come a time when people will say’ I can’t believe people were once given the ability to drive however fast they wanted and let loose’. A bit like how we can’t imagine driving without a seatbelt today.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    I can’t wait to see the fallout when they make speed limiters mandatory. Bring it on, I say.

There will come a time when people will say’ I can’t believe people were once given the ability to drive however fast they wanted and let loose’. A bit like how we can’t imagine driving without a seatbelt today.
    Do you mean they are limited to exceeding 70mph, or they automatically kick in wherever in the country it is? That would require surveillance on a mass scale that does raise some civil liberty concerns.

I don't really see what the problem we are so desperate to solve is here? Roads are getting safer and safer. Does that really mean we want to lose the right to travel freely or be trusted to drive our own vehicles ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In the last week I've become a Fascistic, Authoritarian, Greta Thunberg, Guff-Talking, Leftie Anti-Christ

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Do you mean they are limited to exceeding 70mph, or they automatically kick in wherever in the country it is? That would require surveillance on a mass scale that does raise some civil liberty concerns.

I don't really see what the problem we are so desperate to solve is here? Roads are getting safer and safer. Does that really mean we want to lose the right to travel freely or be trusted to drive our own vehicles ourselves?
    It doesn't require any surveillance, the tech already exists. There are no civil liberty concerns in the same way that there are no civil liberty concerns in not being able to carry a Swiss Army knife to a football match. It's a safety issue and you know this really.

In the last week I've become a Fascistic, Authoritarian, Greta Thunberg, Guff-Talking, Leftie Anti-Christ
    Take away middle aged white blokes freedom to do what they want at your peril

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Whilst being the image of Vyvyan Bastard

It doesn't require any surveillance, the tech already exists. There are no civil liberty concerns in the same way that there are no civil liberty concerns in not being able to carry a Swiss Army knife to a football match. It's a safety issue and you know this really.
    Sorry, but if every car is tracked and automatically has it's speed limited to suit where it is, then there are massive civil liberty concerns. Thats why I asked the question - does he mean in-built speed restrictions (tbh, I'd be happy with cars not being able to go 80mph+ for example) or tracking

Spend limiters work like a SatNav does. It knows the speed limit of the road you’re on and limits the speed of your car appropriately. The tech has been around for years but no government is willing to mandate it because it won’t win them votes. Only a matter or time though.

Spend limiters work like a SatNav does. It knows the speed limit of the road you’re on and limits the speed of your car appropriately. The tech has been around for years but no government is willing to mandate it because it won’t win them votes. Only a matter or time though.
    We are into safety issues should this happen. Over the years I've had to accelerate to get out of dangerous situations, particularly on motorways, and as a result exceeded the speed limit. Lord knows what might have happened if a speed limiter had kicked in at such times.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    We are into safety issues should this happen. Over the years I've had to accelerate to get out of dangerous situations, particularly on motorways, and as a result exceeded the speed limit. Lord knows what might have happened if a speed limiter had kicked in at such times.
    Ah yes but would those situations had occurred if everybody was going the speed limit thanks to their limiter

Like I said, I can see the benefit in cars being limited to say 80mph, but what on earth do we gain from the above?

Speed limiters or some sort of tech to identify youve broken the speed limit is inevitable.

So the use of GPS tracking isnt an issue? Of course it is.

Spend limiters work like a SatNav does.
    I'm totally against spend limiters, affectionately known as the other half in my case, and she does work like a SatNav, as she is always phoning me up to see where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Like I said, I can see the benefit in cars being limited to say 80mph, but what on earth do we gain from the above?
    Some people seem to want to live in a stale world where they’re totally governed by others.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    So the use of GPS tracking isnt an issue? Of course it is.
    Sure, if you don't want to be tracked than don't own a device or item with GPS tracking technology. SatNavs and phones do this already. It's worth doing some research for yourself and understanding the tech. a bit more. Your TV, your fridge, your home security system is tracking your comings and goings all the time.

Another tech. will be black box technology. That's a different ball game. Tesla are leaders in Autonomous Driving which is another fascinating technology which will need to have black boxes to be examined in the case of accidents and technical failures. This stuff logs everything you do.

Edit: add CCTV and facial recognition software (already in use for congestion charges) is worth mentioning too.

the stopping distance of modern sports cars are about 50% shorter than the highway codes figures so for safety reasons the welsh government should give free or heavily subsidised sports cars to all drivers

What if you have an emergency like driving a heart attack victim to hospital in the middle of the night?
    Or you're on an empty motorway at midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Ah yes but would those situations had occurred if everybody was going the speed limit thanks to their limiter
    ~Maybe so?

But situations vary both with road conditions and vehicles. For example a car can be limited to 70mph on a motorway, but what about a car towing a caravan. The limiter is on the car set at 70, whereas the speed limit if towing is 60mph