+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: James Webb telescope

Re: James Webb telescope

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I admit I had to look that up, but I always consider that religion and science are the same thing, not complete opposites. We then enter into other other philosophical areas which may offer solutions that conventional science cannot.
    Complete opposites but let's not go down the religion route as we have exhausted that subject on here.

The purpose of science is not to 'offer solutions'. It means knowledge. Science/knowledge may provide us with solutions, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I disagree entirely.
    you see this bogus argument from religious folk nowadays trying to make some equivalence between the things science can't yet explain and the existence of a magic sky man on a cloud.
    Religion and science are fundamentally opposite. religion is about blindly following the "truth" that has been handed down to you, usually by your parents at a young age, and in the face of any evidence to the contrary.
    science is as changeable as religion is fixed. if new evidence emerged that blew away all of the laws of physics then the scientific consensus would change. if there was evidence that the earth was created by a deity then that would be part of science too, but there isnt
    I think you entirely missed the point I was making. I wasn't arguing the case for religion or faith. Let's put it simply. If it was proved that the earth et al was created by a deity that could be science, that could be religion, that could be philosophy - they're just tags.

I think you entirely missed the point I was making. I wasn't arguing the case for religion or faith. Let's put it simply. If it was proved that the earth et al was created by a deity that could be science, that could be religion, that could be philosophy - they're just tags.
    no, I've seen your point quite clearly, I just don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    which guff do you believe?
    I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me.

I admit I had to look that up, but I always consider that religion and science are the same thing, not complete opposites. We then enter into other other philosophical areas which may offer solutions that conventional science cannot.
    Fair point sir 👍

There was an interesting Horizon programme about the project last night. It'll be on the BBC iPlayer I'm sure.

Very impressive for something that was clearly inspired by the Blockbusters Gold Run. https://www.cnet.com/a/img/resize/25...ebp&width=1200

Some "facts" need correcting, so...