+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Was struck by the picture on the news last night of the eight left in the race for PM

Two white males
    Two white ladies
    Two males of a ethnic group
    Two ladies of a ethnic group

Kemi Badenoch ( well impressed by this lady , would rock politics if she won )
    Suella Braverman ( strong willed lady )
    Jeremy Hunt. ( sensible )
    Penny Mordaunt. ( could be the dark horse , spoke well on LBC last night her campaign video is due this morning )
    Rishi Sunak. ( bright spark too rich )
    Liz Truss. ( mad as a box of frogs )
    Tom Tugendhat ( not a Boris fan , before all this happened )
    Nadhim Zahawi. ( incredible refugee back story )

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

I don't think they are more diverse no. I think it's a fact that they are not. However, they certainly have a better record in promoting and actually putting in power people who are not white men. I think the general philosophy of 'talent' being the determinant as opposed to identity means it is inevitable. Various Tory cabinets have of course been more diverse, last three chancellors have all been of asian heritage, two female prime ministers etc.

Where they do fall down is in terms of schools and class background etc, although every party does pretty poorly in that respect unfortunately.

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

I note from wikipedia that Francis Baring, Whig chancellor from 1839 to 1841 was born in Calcutta mind..so maybe thats 1-0 to the Lib Dems?!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Was struck by the picture on the news last night of the eight left in the race for PM

Two white males
    Two white ladies
    Two males of a ethnic group
    Two ladies of a ethnic group

Kemi Badenoch ( well impressed by this lady , would rock politics if she won )
    Suella Braverman ( strong willed lady )
    Jeremy Hunt. ( sensible )
    Penny Mordaunt. ( could be the dark horse , spoke well on LBC last night her campaign video is due this morning )
    Rishi Sunak. ( bright spark too rich )
    Liz Truss. ( mad as a box of frogs )
    Tom Tugendhat ( not a Boris fan , before all this happened )
    Nadhim Zahawi. ( incredible refugee back story )
    Nothing to do with his ethnicity or background but Zahawi came over as a bit of a chump on Radio 4 this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I note from wikipedia that Francis Baring, Whig chancellor from 1839 to 1841 was born in Calcutta mind..so maybe thats 1-0 to the Lib Dems?!
    Boris was born in USA

Boris was born in USA
    Yeah I know. Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about him

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Nothing to do with his ethnicity or background but Zahawi came over as a bit of a chump on Radio 4 this morning.
    He's impressive I think, in the way contestants on the apprentice are..he should have a role in government, though I don't think as PM. He's not strong enough IMO

Are only Tories called Ladies? A bit Victorian surely.
    There may be a wider representation with regards to gender and ethnicity but I think they are all are from the same social background.
    I suspect the party membership is less diverse but generally from the same social background.
    What they need is a strong woman from a 'working' background, such as a greengrocers daughter.
    Oh hold on ....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    There may be a wider representation with regards to gender and ethnicity but I think they are all are from the same social background.
    I suspect the party membership is less diverse but generally from the same social background.
    What they need is a strong woman from a 'working' background, such as a greengrocers daughter.
    Oh hold on ....
    Beat me to it. None of those Tories, whatever colour or culture, represent my social background.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes sadly the same on LBC last night in the excellent Ian Dale show , he was very unsure think, he is a driven person and bright just lacks that slickness .

Penny Mordant was on straight after and there was a stark difference especially with the live callers , you can see why she is liked .

I don't think they are more diverse no. I think it's a fact that they are not. However, they certainly have a better record in promoting and actually putting in power people who are not white men. I think the general philosophy of 'talent' being the determinant as opposed to identity means it is inevitable. Various Tory cabinets have of course been more diverse, last three chancellors have all been of asian heritage, two female prime ministers etc.

Where they do fall down is in terms of schools and class background etc, although every party does pretty poorly in that respect unfortunately.
    So if the main determinant is talent was Boris some form of laboratory experiment to prove that talent is needed as for the time he has been in charge I am not sure what his real talents are that are of value to being PM

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Oh hold on ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    So if the main determinant is talent was Boris some form of laboratory experiment to prove that talent is needed as for the time he has been in charge I am not sure what his real talents are that are of value to being PM
    That's why I wrote talent as 'talent'. That said, the bloke run London for 8 years and got the country through the pandemic, but this is a different argument alltogether.

I think the Tories are probably better at ignoring someones colour nowadays and just letting those who rise to the top to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's the rules though isn't it. Same with Gordon Brown and same (more or less) with Drakeford when he replaced Carwyn Jones

It's imperfect, I agree.

He's impressive I think, in the way contestants on the apprentice are..he should have a role in government, though I don't think as PM. He's not strong enough IMO
    He wasn't impressive this morning. Sounded rather rudderless and very unconvincing.

Here we go the next PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...campaign-video

Bit different campaign too the others its not about me, me, videos ..

Here we go the next PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...campaign-video

Bit different campaign too the others its not about me, me, videos ..
    Not that this is of great importance, but I do quite fancy Penny Mordaunt.

Can somebody explain to me why it's a good thing in Britain that there are fewer "white men"?

And i don't know why some are getting in a tizzy over this leadership race. Yeah it's something to discuss but Nothing meaningful will change. Both Labour and Tory are neo liberal puppets. Our system is owned by the Rothchilds(International banking)

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why it's a good thing in Britain that there are fewer "white men"?

And i don't know why some are getting in a tizzy over this leadership race. Yeah it's something to discuss but Nothing meaningful will change. Both Labour and Tory are neo liberal puppets. Our system is owned by the Rothchilds(International banking)
    It's not. Everyone is equal. No one group is better or worse than any other. A community is not better or worse than any other due to a lack or abundance of any other group; it may be less interesting I suppose, but it is no better or worse. There are many ways to judge a society, but characteristics we cannot control shouldn't be one of them.

That said, in the context of this discussion, it is generally no bad thing that a governing party or organisation is broadly reflective of the society they serve. So whilst I think the constant references to skin colour are often unhelpful, it is worthy of note here perhaps.

And yes, identity politics is divisive, which is why I have do little time for it.

Pleased that Zahawi has been eliminated but disappointed that Hunt has. I think he would have been a good choice, especially as he was not a cabinet member, hence "untainted" when Johnson met his demise.

Not that this is of great importance, but I do quite fancy Penny Mordaunt.
    She speak well of you I believe James........

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Because as you keep banging on about, Britain is not a country of just white men so our leadership should reflect that

They are all tories, in it for themselves

Penny Mordaunt is only concerned with looking in the mirror . She would shoot her grandmother if it got her power , utterly ruthless horrible tory . Low tax , low state and all that bollocks .

Sunak is a snake as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Pleased that Zahawi has been eliminated but disappointed that Hunt has. I think he would have been a good choice, especially as he was not a cabinet member, hence "untainted" when Johnson met his demise.
    Jeremy Hunt when Health Secretary had huge interests in private health companies

He's a snake

All the Tories are snakes

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Because as you keep banging on about, Britain is not a country of just white men so our leadership should reflect that
    Bravo Delmbox. So it's not the best man or woman for the job then?