+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGuinness

McGuinness

Towards the end of last season his performances dropped off considerably. In fact he was benched for a time.
    Today he looked slow and cumbersome.
    I wonder if he will prove the superstar McCarthy reckoned he was going to be. I'm not so sure.

Re: McGuinness

We've said all along that the younger players will be inconsistent at times, and he's still pretty young for a centre back.

A shame to hear. Thought he was going to be a star for us

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    A shame to hear. Thought he was going to be a star for us
    He might still be, but he, understandably in the circumstances, tailed off towards the end of last season and was one of a few players at fault with the goal we conceded yesterday - he does have a tendency to give away cheap free kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He might still be, but he, understandably in the circumstances, tailed off towards the end of last season and was one of a few players at fault with the goal we conceded yesterday - he does have a tendency to give away cheap free kicks.
    Problem is, he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. We looked very vulnerable on our right in the first half. Romeo...right back...looked like he should be playing for the U18s. The sooner Morrison is fit and able, the better for our defence.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Problem is, he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. We looked very vulnerable on our right in the first half. Romeo...right back...looked like he should be playing for the U18s. The sooner Morrison is fit and able, the better for our defence.
    Morrison hasn’t signed a new contract and I’m not sure he’ll be offered one-as I understand it, the club areonly helping him recover from his at this stage.

These are training games, to get everyone fit and try out different formations and combinations. Why do people continually over analyse them ?. They mean nothing. You might see something approaching our first team and preferred formation in the game next week against Swindon but otherwise its what happens on July 30th that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Towards the end of last season his performances dropped off considerably. In fact he was benched for a time.
    Today he looked slow and cumbersome.
    I wonder if he will prove the superstar McCarthy reckoned he was going to be. I'm not so sure.
    Personally, I'd prefer Morrison and the new chap [!] as a centre pairing, though depends on his fitness. McGuiness is OK but I think he has that' 'raw' look, which he doesn't seem able to shake off.

It wasn't the foul that bothered me but the lack of reaction that let them in for a goal. Did anyone notice how the Cheltenham players effectively stopped city from taking quick free kicks yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    It wasn't the foul that bothered me but the lack of reaction that let them in for a goal. Did anyone notice how the Cheltenham players effectively stopped city from taking quick free kicks yesterday?
    Yes....and we should do the same. Cheltenham were also much quicker and better organised at throw ins and their cross field passing was more impressive. Our corners need working on, too. Watters was getting between their back line and crying out for the ball. Like Collins, he won't score many if the ball is played out to the wings in the final third. No KM as the target man now. Thought for the day....could Kipre play up front? He's a big unit.

Morrison hasn’t signed a new contract and I’m not sure he’ll be offered one-as I understand it, the club areonly helping him recover from his at this stage.
    I hope he is offered some form of contract.

Yes....and we should do the same. Cheltenham were also much quicker and better organised at throw ins and their cross field passing was more impressive. Our corners need working on, too. Watters was getting between their back line and crying out for the ball. Like Collins, he won't score many if the ball is played out to the wings in the final third. No KM as the target man now. Thought for the day....could Kipre play up front? He's a big unit.
    I thought myself we were playing too many balls wide for a high cross to come in for a non existent Keiffer. We needed to play far more between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I mentioned in my blog piece that McGuinness was one of three City players arguing with the ref about the free kick who were out of the game as soon as Cheltenham took it quickly and the worst thing was Cheltenham had taken a free kick quickly from around the same position a few minutes earlier..

I mentioned in my blog piece that McGuinness was one of three City players arguing with the ref about the free kick who were out of the game as soon as Cheltenham took it quickly and the worst thing was Cheltenham had taken a free kick quickly from around the same position a few minutes earlier..
    just had a mental image of Dave Jones saying " and that's why we play pre season friendly matches"

We were caught out but not punished for the exact same thing in one of the other pre season games. Morison needs to stamp this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I thought myself we were playing too many balls wide for a high cross to come in for a non existent Keiffer. We needed to play far more between the lines.
    Yep. By the time the ball is played out wide, opposition defence is organised and makes the job of scoring much harder. Very frustrating when a more direct approach would feed Watters and % wise get more goals. Unfortunately, I see our style of play varying very little from last season.

Yep. By the time the ball is played out wide, opposition defence is organised and makes the job of scoring much harder. Very frustrating when a more direct approach would feed Watters and % wise get more goals. Unfortunately, I see our style of play varying very little from last season.
    I was just about to post the same thing. I honestly feel Watters will be wasted again and he'll be asked to play a game he doesn't know or like. I like the lad. I think if we can use him properly, he'll be OK for us. I've just got a feeling we'll resort to type again. There's a team in this squad somewhere. It's going to take nerves of steel from our manager to keep it together while it gels.

I've been really impressed with Denham this preseason, more than any other centre back. I though McGuinness and Nelson looked like our worst pairing.

Nobody's over analysing, in a nutshell McGuiness isn't good enough at championship level

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I've been really impressed with Denham this preseason, more than any other centre back. I though McGuinness and Nelson looked like our worst pairing.
    I think Denham has looked good but it would take massive balls to start him over the many older and more experienced players.

McGuinness isn't the answer for me. I want to see Kipre and Ng together.

Here we go again - slagging off a 21 year old player who came through the Arsenal academy and youth system for goodness sake (9 years there) and who has only played one season at Championship level so far, in a struggling team. Also deciding that the manager, players and tactics are all wrong for this season based on three meaningless pre-season games designed to get the players fit and experiment with tactics and formations. It beggars belief, really it does.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Here we go again - slagging off a 21 year old player who came through the Arsenal academy and youth system for goodness sake (9 years there) and who has only played one season at Championship level so far, in a struggling team. Also deciding that the manager, players and tactics are all wrong for this season based on three meaningless pre-season games designed to get the players fit and experiment with tactics and formations. It beggars belief, really it does.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I think Denham has looked good but it would take massive balls to start him over the many older and more experienced players.

McGuinness isn't the answer for me. I want to see Kipre and Ng together.
    Denham had a really shaky last 10-15 minutes of his spell against Cambridge.

McGuinness was excellent that day.

Don’t think we should read too much into 45 minute spells where 1-2 mistakes will be magnified.

McGuinness is still the only one of the permanent central defenders who. An hold his own in the air.

I’m guessing Kipre can too, but not seen much of him play

I thought we may have brought in a more experienced centre back, more of a first choice but I guessed that’s difficult with no budget. I’m sure the midfield this year will help the defence a bit more the last season but really need someone to push on this season. I like NG and McGuiness but they both have a big mistake every game in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I thought we may have brought in a more experienced centre back, more of a first choice but I guessed that’s difficult with no budget. I’m sure the midfield this year will help the defence a bit more the last season but really need someone to push on this season. I like NG and McGuiness but they both have a big mistake every game in them.
    I wouldn't say Kipre is particularly inexperienced though- he's 25, has played 2 full seasons in the Championship (with Wigan), and got a not insignificant amount of minutes for West Brom last year. I'd imagine Morison sees him very much as first choice.