+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbie Savage's son looks quite the player

Re: Robbie Savage's son looks quite the player

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You lot don't know it yet, but this guy is the missing link. With a spine of Rodon, Ampadu, Savage & Johnson, Welsh football is going to be golden for the next 10 years.

I hope you're right

In America with Chelsea.
    He's still with Chelsea? I thought that he had left. Shows how much notice i take

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I hope you're right
    We've been struggling in midfield for a while now, especially lacking a left sided player, and this guy has a high football IQ, plus a great range of passing. Harry can take over the Ramsey role, and we've got plenty of pace down the flanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's still with Chelsea? I thought that he had left. Shows how much notice i take
    Needs to move really, he's not getting any younger and he's not getting into that side

Needs to move really, he's not getting any younger and he's not getting into that side
    Possibly, but he's still only 21, which is young for his position at that level. If he can get himself into the EPL squad he will have the experience of playing under a world class coach, and learning the tricks of the trade from the likes of Silva, Koulibaly, Kante, Jorghino, Kovacic, etc. It's a tricky one and a bit of a gamble.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/ar...ss-in-big-year

Looks like he might be staying at Chelsea, as Tuchel thinks he is well suited for the Thiago Silva CCB role, plus he can play DM if they switch to a back 4. Not sure how much game time he will get, but it will be a good learning experience playing and training with the big boys.

Obligatory video:

Obligatory video:

On the ball, he’s very good. Based on his Welsh performances I’m nervous when he goes in for a tackle. He often mis times them and loses the ball in contact. Hope that side of his game develops rapidly in the next few months if he does stay at Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    On the ball, he’s very good. Based on his Welsh performances I’m nervous when he goes in for a tackle. He often mis times them and loses the ball in contact. Hope that side of his game develops rapidly in the next few months if he does stay at Chelsea
    gets caught out of position a bit too often when at centre back and does occasionally go in for a rash challenge, I think both would be improved by playing regularly in one position

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    The benefit of being at a top club is they have the coaching staff who can mould the players to suit their requirements, and they also work on their weaknesses. I'd be quite happy if he stays there, and likewise Rodon at Spurs. Also pleased to see Ten Hag taking an interest in young Charlie Savage, cos he's got a thing about defensive midfielders and he likes to develop them from a young age to fit his system, e.q. Frenkie de Jong. There are also a couple of Welsh lads still at Liverpool, left back Owen Beck and Jason Koumas' son Lewis who are worth keeping an eye on.

We need a forward thinking left back, so that Neco is free to play down the right, and Owen might be that person.

Obligatory video:

Incredible stuff. Ethan Ampadu in acres of space making the pass. He could have had a cigar on the go as well!

Incredible stuff. Ethan Ampadu in acres of space making the pass. He could have had a cigar on the go as well!
    That's how you win the Champions League, no kick and rush like back in your day

That's how you win the Champions League, no kick and rush like back in your day
    I could have made some of those passes. That highlight roll is just bullshit, it means nothing. If a player at a club like Chelsea can't pick a pass when both he and his team mate are in tonnes of space, then there's hope for all of us. The measure is his defending, when midfield players make late runs or peel off at the final second, Concentration, positional sense and ball watching are Ampadu's problems. He is a great athlete, composed and comfortable with the ball at his feet, although that should be the minimum requirement at that level. He needs to sort his defending.

I could have made some of those passes. That highlight roll is just bullshit, it means nothing. If a player at a club like Chelsea can't pick a pass when both he and his team mate are in tonnes of space, then there's hope for all of us. The measure is his defending, when midfield players make late runs or peel off at the final second, Concentration, positional sense and ball watching are Ampadu's problems. He is a great athlete, composed and comfortable with the ball at his feet, although that should be the minimum requirement at that level. He needs to sort his defending.
    He's doing what the manager told him to do. If the opposition press higher Chelsea will play through them faster. This is Tuchel's tactics, a leading proponent of playing out from the back and exploiting any open spaces. If the opposition decide to use a high press, then Chelsea will use a different countermeasure. It's all textbook stuff.

He's doing what the manager told him to do. If the opposition press higher Chelsea will play through them faster. This is Tuchel's tactics, a leading proponent of playing out from the back and exploiting any open spaces. If the opposition decide to use a high press, then Chelsea will use a different countermeasure. It's all textbook stuff.
    I was obviously pointing towards Chelsea being out of possession, nothing to do with opponents pressing.

I was obviously pointing towards Chelsea being out of possession, nothing to do with opponents pressing.
    You were talking about the opposition giving him space. Look at 1:32 when the opposition decide to press higher. Ampadu easily takes out 4 players, and the fullback takes out another 2 with one touch. That's why the inferior team are mostly defending in banks and maintaining discipline to compress the space.

You were talking about the opposition giving him space. Look at 1:32 when the opposition decide to press higher. Ampadu easily takes out 4 players, and the fullback takes out another 2 with one touch. That's why the inferior team are mostly defending in banks and maintaining discipline to compress the space.
    Yes, initially, but then you started talking about teams pressing and i said that i was critical of Ampadu's play when he, or the side he plays for, were not in Possession. That's where he struggles on occasion. I know what the other side are doing, they're attempting to draw Chelsea out, we were promoted that way under Warnock.

Yes, initially, but then you started talking about teams pressing and i said that i was critical of Ampadu's play when he, or the side he plays for, were not in Possession. That's where he struggles on occasion. I know what the other side are doing, they're attempting to draw Chelsea out, we were promoted that way under Warnock.
    I think he should be judged when he's playing in a well coached team. Like I said he was doing exactly what Tuchel told him to do, and he easily played through the lines with or without a press. The opposition weren't the greatest, but he pleased his boss which is all that mattered in that game.

That's a bit of a luxury in my opinion. Wouldn't all footballers like the best coaches, managers, facilities etc in order to reach their full potential? It's down to the player to show that he has certain attributes, then the coaches can improve, tweak etc.

That's a bit of a luxury in my opinion. Wouldn't all footballers like the best coaches, managers, facilities etc in order to reach their full potential? It's down to the player to show that he has certain attributes, then the coaches can improve, tweak etc.
    It makes a big difference when all the players are in the right position to receive a pass and all passes are delivered with the correct weight and accuracy, and higher skill levels ensure that complex drills are easily repeated during a match.

It makes a big difference when all the players are in the right position to receive a pass and all passes are delivered with the correct weight and accuracy, and higher skill levels ensure that complex drills are easily repeated during a match.
    So basically, what Ampadu needs is fantastic players around him and the best coaches the world has to offer. I'm pleased that they can all fit in with him

So basically, what Ampadu needs is fantastic players around him and the best coaches the world has to offer. I'm pleased that they can all fit in with him
    It worked for Messi & Ronaldo

It worked for Messi & Ronaldo
    It was probably the other way round for those two

It was probably the other way round for those two
    Billy Gilmour is an interest case, he looked like a world beater when he first came on the scene for Chelsea & Scotland. Then he was sent on loan to Norwich who wrecked him, and now he has just been removed from the current Chelsea US tour squad. What happened there?