+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub Closures

Re: Pub Closures

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    There are still good boozers to be found even in town.
    The Borough £3.50 a pint for decent Guinness .
    I still like the Traders.
    The Butchers in Canton £3 for decent IPA smooth.
    I like Chapter in Canton a good selection of Ales a bit more expensive as is St Cannas and crafty Devil.
    I really missed pubs in lockdown so glad we've got back to some normality.
    I struggle to sit in the house drinking cans I just find it depressing.
    Absolutely right. Shout out to the Rummer Tavern, Kiwis, Old Arcade and the Owain too. But they are becoming fewer and farrer between

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Here in the town centre of Barry we've lost The Castle, The Windsor as well as The Seaview and Barry Dock Cons.Further east The Admiral, Three Bells , Cadoxton Royal and Dockers are all now a memory as well. As the docks and chemical plants have declined so did all these places sadly. It's also affected the local football leagues as all these pubs ran teams. Not so long ago there were four divisions now we're down to just two.
    The Chain Locker. The Vic. The Water's Edge. Bindles. Is the Marine still there?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Gabalfa used to be.........one for our older viewers
    Excelsior Wire Rope Works. Got caught on the the roof by security guards 'nesting' for seagull eggs when I was a kid.

Buzz
    That’s the one!
    DJ used to fill a pint glass with all sorts, Lager, cider, mustard, tabasco, etc. Some mug punter would win a prize if they could down it in one.

The Rompney was a sad loss

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Gabalfa used to be.........one for our older viewers
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Corporation £7.10p Guinness

I was there last night....It was £5.25....

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve been in most boozers in Cardiff in my time. 2 of the roughest were the Dusty Forge and the Murrayfield.
    Among my favourites, were the Pineapple, the Goodies and the Inn on the River for the live music.
    I have fading memories of a place opposite the Old Arcade that had top less barmaids.
    Or have i dreamt that?
    The Culver could be quite tasty too. I ran a pub in Chester-le-street for a short while. One lunchtime a guy walked in with a sawn -off shot gun in an open hold-all and politely asked, You haven't seen Jonny Moore have you?" I didn't stay much longer after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Reworked View Post
    I was there last night....It was £5.25....

Obviously market forces have made them reduce their prices

When it first opened, a glass of wine was £7.50p

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Culver could be quite tasty too. I ran a pub in Chester-le-street for a short while. One lunchtime a guy walked in with a sawn -off shot gun in an open hold-all and politely asked, You haven't seen Jonny Moore have you?" I didn't stay much longer after that.
    I drank in the Culver for 20 years . Lounge at first then progressed to the bar.
    The first night I was in the bar some bloke said I was sitting in old Dai's seat I said if he comes in I will gladly move,
    He said he died last week.
    I said I'll move now mate 😂

I’ve been in most boozers in Cardiff in my time. 2 of the roughest were the Dusty Forge and the Murrayfield.
    Among my favourites, were the Pineapple, the Goodies and the Inn on the River for the live music.
    I have fading memories of a place opposite the Old Arcade that had top less barmaids.
    Or have i dreamt that?
    the murrayfield was a real shithole

Or have i dreamt that?
    There used to be a pub/come steak bar opposite the Old Arcade called the Criterion, but I can’t remember topless barmaids

You’re not thinking of a few years ago when “For Your Eyes Only” was in th same place

The Criterion was downstairs

International

There used to be a pub/come steak bar opposite the Old Arcade called the Criterion, but I can’t remember topless barmaids

You’re not thinking of a few years ago when “For Your Eyes Only” was in th same place

The Criterion was there in the 1960s and before ffs. no topless anything anywhere then lol

International

I drank in the Culver for 20 years . Lounge at first then progressed to the bar.
    The first night I was in the bar some bloke said I was sitting in old Dai's seat I said if he comes in I will gladly move,
    He said he died last week.
    I said I'll move now mate 😂
    That sounds about par for the course. I remember the first game of pool i played there. There were about 20 guys all sitting round the table watching every shot. I used my discretion and lost on the black

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The Criterion was there in the 1960s and before ffs. no topless anything anywhere then lol

We used to go in there nearly every Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That's mad. Nearly every lefty I know is wealthy and lives somewhere nice. Certainly wealthier than me. I thought Sludge was a true red
    I can confirm the same all comfortably well off in houses worth 300 k upwards , two cars etc etc , delivered by the evil capitalist .

Look no further that our area of CF14 and its voting patterns ,

My local when I lived in Pentrebane was either the Bulldog or the Bottle. They were about equidistant from my house - I decided quite early on to do my drinking in town or Canton.

Or have i dreamt that?
    Back in the '60s, when I was a wee lad, my dad and his friends would frequent "The Dusty" while me and my brother would slide up and down the walls on either side of the steps outside. Feels like a thousand years ago. The Good Companions was always a mystery to me. Since it was walking distance from our house, Dad left us home with the missus.

Or have i dreamt that?
    Goodies? I thought that was an opium den

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Chain Locker. The Vic. The Water's Edge. Bindles. Is the Marine still there?
    The Marine closed about ten years ago and was converted to flats. Al the others you mention have long been demolished and yet more flats built on the sites.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    The Marine closed about ten years ago and was converted to flats. Al the others you mention have long been demolished and yet more flats built on the sites.
    Knew of some, but not The Vic or The Marine .... and there was me thinking of moving back at some time

Please tell me The Park is still open

There is no person on this mb more qualified than you to talk about pubs. You must have played darts in every pub in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    There is no person on this mb more qualified than you to talk about pubs. You must have played darts in every pub in Cardiff.

And Penarth used to play for the Old Penarthians on Friday nights

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Does Sludge really live in Cowbridge? That is brilliant
    Yes, he really does.

Should you not know, it's a relatively tiny place with a population of 4K. Most residents are minted as they're experts at fiddling their annual tax returns. It's why it has so many pubs and eateries.

It's not all wine and roses there though.

So many moonlight thefts has resulted in few women daring to leave their drawers fluttering on their washing lines overnight to be air-dried as nature intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yes, he really does.

Should you not know, it's a relatively tiny place with a population of 4K. Most residents are minted as they're experts at fiddling their annual tax returns. It's why it has so many pubs and eateries.

It's not all wine and roses there though.

So many moonlight thefts has resulted in few women daring to leave their drawers fluttering on their washing lines overnight to be air-dried as nature intended.
    There was a bloke here who got arrested for stealing women's underwear off washing lines

He was known as The Knicker Nicker