+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tommy Doyle.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tommy Doyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    But he might not get better, although I really hope that he does, and he ends up being that creative spark that we have lacked in the final third, for what seems forever. Some players possess certain attributes and then have the ability to improve on their weaknesses or certainly learn how to.compensate for them. I'm not sure Colwill has that ability yet. He's still very raw and he reminds me of Earlier a bit in terms of how everything he did was instinctive, which served him so well, but if Earlier had that little bit of intelligence, then he would have been a premier league striker. I like Colwill and it's obvious he possesses natural attacking flair. I really hope that he develops, or gets so good in the final third that the rest of his game doesn't really matter.
    The thing that tells me that he does have that and will kick on further is the repeated inclusion in the Wales squads even though his league form arguably didn't warrant it. He was called up to the Euros having played about half an hour of senior football and has continued to be picked in a Wales squad that's managed to qualify for a World Cup, there's obviously something there otherwise he'd be left at home during the international breaks.

His link up play with Brennan Johnson showed as well that there was more to his game than pure instinct, he suffered in the team last season as we either played incredibly crap hoofball or pretty basic hold it up then get it to the wings, there was very little emphasis on getting the ball down in the middle of the pitch and actually playing, when he was paired with someone who does that in Johnson he shined

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    His link up play with Brennan Johnson showed as well that there was more to his game than pure instinct, he suffered in the team last season as we either played incredibly crap hoofball or pretty basic hold it up then get it to the wings, there was very little emphasis on getting the ball down in the middle of the pitch and actually playing, when he was paired with someone who does that in Johnson he shined
    It's a good point but I think Johnson is something special and for me, the most exciting Welsh player probably since Bale and is going to have a much bigger career than Colwill. I'm not knocking the lad, I like him, but I'm rooting for him because he's 'one of our own' and not because I think he's got what it takes to kick on. At Cardiff, we don't have players like Johnson so it's all moot anyway. Even when Harry Wilson was here, it was mixed because he didn't have the players around him to shine. Put it this way, Johnson'll be in the shop window if Forest go down this season and I believe will have a great future with the Welsh team and PL (or overseas). My gut says that Colwill will drop off the radar. My heart says, I hope that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's a good point but I think Johnson is something special and for me, the most exciting Welsh player probably since Bale and is going to have a much bigger career than Colwill. I'm not knocking the lad, I like him, but I'm rooting for him because he's 'one of our own' and not because I think he's got what it takes to kick on. At Cardiff, we don't have players like Johnson so it's all moot anyway. Even when Harry Wilson was here, it was mixed because he didn't have the players around him to shine. Put it this way, Johnson'll be in the shop window if Forest go down this season and I believe will have a great future with the Welsh team and PL (or overseas). My gut says that Colwill will drop off the radar. My heart says, I hope that isn't the case.
    Colwill has loads of ability, he just walks past people. He needs a system for him to shine in though. And he doesn’t have that speed to get away from people. Needs to get past his man and then give it, that’s the challenge. Johnson is going to have a terrific career. He’s nailed on to be a PL footballer for years

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Colwill has loads of ability, he just walks past people. He needs a system for him to shine in though. And he doesn’t have that speed to get away from people. Needs to get past his man and then give it, that’s the challenge. Johnson is going to have a terrific career. He’s nailed on to be a PL footballer for years
    I agree, but over the last few seasons we've had four managers and variations of the same awful football. I honestly can't say I know where Colwill will fit this season, and tbh I don't think our club is the best place for him. He does have loads of ability but it's wasted with us, our setup, our 'style', our managers and the players and formation(s) around him. This season might be different. Might. I really like the lad, but I think he's been hindered by us more than helped imo. The best thing for him has been selected early in the Wales squad but it must be frustrating to come back to us and not really know what his role is.

I do kind of wonder what Cooper would have done with him in his Forest setup for example.