+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The new Squad?

The new Squad?

We all knew that big changes were inevitable and all credit to Morison for getting 11 players through the door so quickly. Whether they are the right players, time will tell.
    Right now, I’m not sure and whilst understanding the economic realities i do feel a bit underwhelmed.
    Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Re: The new Squad?

I feel quite optimistic, but then I usually do at this time of the season.

Go back 12 months and our midfield looks like it has more energy, pace and ability.

Same for the GK position.

Comfortable with our fullbacks.

All we need is some competition up top if the CH from West Brom comes in, which I suspect we'll get in on loan.

Complete guess but I assume the age profile of the squad has come down too.

I think to bring that many players in and not pay a transfer fee was always going to be a big ask. Some will work some won’t no doubt but I at least like the type of players we are going for rather than the type of players we have let go.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think to bring that many players in and not pay a transfer fee was always going to be a big ask. Some will work some won’t no doubt but I at least like the type of players we are going for rather than the type of players we have let go.
    Avoiding relegation is the spec.

Avoiding relegation must be the aim. Packing the midfield and defence seems to be the thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Avoiding relegation is the spec.
    Has to be the priority but I feel confident with the way the squad is being built being midtable.

Don’t really think it’s fair analysing our squad, but, assuming we sign Kipre, I’ll be fairly pessimistic if it still looks the same in a fortnight because it’d mean that we were really struggling to get a striker in.

What are the expectations with the new striker if we get one? If we're not spending money then it'll be difficult to find one for free who'll score 15 goals or thereabouts so it'll be a loan of someone who isn't wanted at his present club or a gamble on an up and coming youngster. If it's the former - Hugill, for instance - would he fit in our new Morisonball system? Would he, or someone similar, or a PL reserve with no experience make that much difference to our chances than if we played Watters up front? Should we just give Watters a few months to learn what he needs to do?

This might all be academic and we'll sign Herman Scorealot from the Swiss third division for buttons but given our financial constraints, is a new striker going to make that much difference now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    What are the expectations with the new striker if we get one? If we're not spending money then it'll be difficult to find one for free who'll score 15 goals or thereabouts so it'll be a loan of someone who isn't wanted at his present club or a gamble on an up and coming youngster. If it's the former - Hugill, for instance - would he fit in our new Morisonball system? Would he, or someone similar, or a PL reserve with no experience make that much difference to our chances than if we played Watters up front? Should we just give Watters a few months to learn what he needs to do?

This might all be academic and we'll sign Herman Scorealot from the Swiss third division for buttons but given our financial constraints, is a new striker going to make that much difference now?
    i.like Watters, Harris and Davies, but I think they all work better alongside someone else. I don't see any of them leading the Line alone personality, would like to see someone with a bit more physical presence.

that said if we do become very good at pressing and winning the ball back then the likes of Davies, Harris and indeed Colwill are good enough to score against a disorganized defence

My hope and expectation back in May was that we’d do better than Hugill and Ikpeazu, now I’m thinking let’s try and get a Hugill type in. In saying that, I would be pleasantly surprised if Hugill scored much beyond ten goals for us if he was first choice for a whole season, but his all round game is pretty good and I’d like to think he could help create goals for others. I don’t think someone like Hugill would be wrong for the type of football we’ll be playing next season - I’m still not sure about how we’re going to play, but Hugill is pretty adaptable and could get by in a team playing more of a ground based game. For me, our main problem as fas as goalscoring from open play in recent seasons is concerned has been that we didn’t get enough bodies into the opposition box and, if we’re going to be playing with full backs, then I can see the same applying next season because I don’t see anyone in our midfield who will be getting beyond our front man or making late runs into the box on a regular basis.

Is that the first ever use of Morisonball?!

Must be honest and admit that I laughed out loud at Herman Scorealot. On Hugill, although his goalscoring productivity seemed to diminish as time went on, I warmed to him, the longer he was here. I'd happily have him back, although I'm not overly confident we'll see him again.