+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: cheques

cheques

can you still use these to pay for a job

Re: cheques

I used to get 40 a week, now I might get 5

people just want your bank details and transfer the money, even the oldies who have surprised me with it since Covid hit

Cheques are perfectly acceptable as a form of payment, although many retailers and businesses are trying to reduce their admin costs by not taking them. If they were owed £5k and a cheque was offered to clear the debt I am sure they would change their modern "stance".

The milkman , my fishing clubs , the paper delivery all on cheque

Banks tried to kill them off a few years ago but there was such a backlash it didn't happen. Now that I can pay them in on line its much easier to keep them going.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Banks tried to kill them off a few years ago but there was such a backlash it didn't happen. Now that I can pay them in on line its much easier to keep them going.
    Yes. I still get a few cheques from time to time and, yes, it's great being able to pay them into my bank's app. It was the only reason I went into a bank. I reckon it won't be too long where there will be hardly any banks left in our high streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes. I still get a few cheques from time to time and, yes, it's great being able to pay them into my bank's app. It was the only reason I went into a bank. I reckon it won't be too long where there will be hardly any banks left in our high streets.
    Well if we don't use em then clearly that will be the case

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well if we don't use em then clearly that will be the case
    There's hardly any need any more. I can't think of many reasons for going into a bank, other than paying money in, taking a large sum of money out, robbing it....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    a few of our local ones are going to close by the end of the year

I used to pop in on Friday afternoon to pay them in, now just take a picture on the app, no really reason to go in anymore

I haven't seen a cheque book since the 80's.
    I haven't used cash since 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I haven't seen a cheque book since the 80's.
    I haven't used cash since 2018.
    Great news for Visa and Mastercard. Ching ching.

when i had a club people used to come in ask me to cash their cheques, but not to bank it till end of the week lol

you still need to manually deposit a cheque if its more than £500 as the apps tend to have a limit.

My business mostly gets bank transfers now but SIPP trustees managers seem to be in the dark ages and send cheques, sometimes large ones. As the banks have all fecked off the high street the workaround is to get pay in slips and special envelopes from your bank then you can go to your local post office and it gets done. Faff to begin but works smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    a few of our local ones are going to close by the end of the year

I used to pop in on Friday afternoon to pay them in, now just take a picture on the app, no really reason to go in anymore
    HSBC allow me to take a pic on the app. But Nationwide make me either post them in with a printed letter or pay them in at the branch, although they do clear very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    HSBC allow me to take a pic on the app. But Nationwide make me either post them in with a printed letter or pay them in at the branch, although they do clear very quickly.
    my Halifax and starling both use the picture on the app,