+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Re: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

There was a graphic on the forecast the other day which showed that the UK record temperature had only been broken 3 times in over 100 years.
    35.9c in ~ 1910, 37.5 in 2003 then 37.8 in 2019. However since 2003, the old 1910 record has since been exceeded about another 10 times.
    The next couple of days isn't a one off. Extremes are definitely becoming more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Where is the evidence that widespread insect loss is man made?

And if it isn't, what can we do about it?
    Put it this way. Climate change isn't going to affect any of us. China is building coal fired power stations like they've gone out of fashion. The UK produces only around 1% of the World's co2. Even it it were man made, you can't do anything about it. All the environmental disasters around the corner can be averted, but it's of no interest to the climate change lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Put it this way. Climate change isn't going to affect any of us. China is building coal fired power stations like they've gone out of fashion. The UK produces only around 1% of the World's co2. Even it it were man made, you can't do anything about it. All the environmental disasters around the corner can be averted, but it's of no interest to the climate change lobby.
    China gets around 30% of its current energy from renewables and it is rising

What do you mean?

Us = people in the UK
    Us = humankind

And I'm not sure how your "put it this way" is even close to my question about insect loss

Absolutely mental post. Where to even start.

Firstly it will affect every single person on the planet through increased difficulties in growing crops, to sea level rises to oceans turning more acidic due to increased Co2 absorption which will have devastating consequences in marine life and us in the process. Not to mention increased instances of extreme weather.

'Even if it were man made you can't do anything about it'

Of course we can, increased renewable and nuclear power. We can solve this issue but we choose not to so we can keep big oil rich.

'All the environmental disasters can be averted'

Care to expand on that?

'But it's of no interest to the climate lobby'

What on earth are you talking about?

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again, we have severe issues in our society that for some reason older generations are hell bent on stopping solutions to these problems, the boomer generation will go down as the most selfish pig ignorant generation in the history of the planet.

https://www.bigissue.com/news/enviro...-like-in-2050/

An interesting read, all hypothetical of course but does make you think what the world could be like in 25/30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post

Firstly it will affect every single person on the planet through increased difficulties in growing crops, to sea level rises to oceans turning more acidic due to increased Co2 absorption which will have devastating consequences in marine life and us in the process. Not to mention increased instances of extreme weather.

Of course we can, increased renewable and nuclear power. We can solve this issue but we choose not to so we can keep big oil rich.

Care to expand on that?

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again, we have severe issues in our society that for some reason older generations are hell bent on stopping solutions to these problems, the boomer generation will go down as the most selfish pig ignorant generation in the history of the planet.

his 1st point ( or 2nd if you choose ) was this

China is building coal fired power stations like they've gone out of fashion

Now this point looks to be fairly true, according to "newscientist " article earlier the year, they say that China is building more than 1/2 the worlds new coal power stations, 52 per cent of the 176 gigawatts of coal capacity under construction in 20 countries last year.

when most of the world pledged to " cut back " on coal power stations in Glasgow at COP26, China ( and India ) were watering it down, the world is making a attempt, but with China ( and India ) kicking the can down the road for another 5 Years before change, it hardly surprising to hear they are still plowing on with the coal powered power stations

I can see how people in the UK ( who do make a effort to recycle and attempt to be a little greener ) think, well look at china, what I can do it a mere drop in the ocean compared the the damage the Chinese are doing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    his 1st point ( or 2nd if you choose ) was this

China is building coal fired power stations like they've gone out of fashion

Now this point looks to be fairly true, according to "newscientist " article earlier the year, they say that China is building more than 1/2 the worlds new coal power stations, 52 per cent of the 176 gigawatts of coal capacity under construction in 20 countries last year.

when most of the world pledged to " cut back " on coal power stations in Glasgow at COP26, China ( and India ) were watering it down, the world is making a attempt, but with China ( and India ) kicking the can down the road for another 5 Years before change, it hardly surprising to hear they are still plowing on with the coal powered power stations

I can see how people in the UK ( who do make a effort to recycle and attempt to be a little greener ) think, well look at china, what I can do it a mere drop in the ocean compared the the damage the Chinese are doing
    China are doing a lot, they are still committed to peak carbon by 2030 and completely carbon neutral by 2060. that isn't coming without significant effort and investment, while at the same time raising the living standards of significant chunks of the population.
    if you look into the detail of it it is pretty impressive what they are looking to achieve

Care to expand on that?

There you are, getting abusive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    China are doing a lot, they are still committed to peak carbon by 2030 and completely carbon neutral by 2060. that isn't coming without significant effort and investment, while at the same time raising the living standards of significant chunks of the population.
    if you look into the detail of it it is pretty impressive what they are looking to achieve
    I'll take your world for it, yet it still looks like they are kicking the can down the road for a while, 52% of the worlds coal power station, while we in the UK sort out and recycle all our glass, plastics, tins etc etc , as I said, I can see how people look at china and think " why do we ( in the UK ) bother

oh and if you think China will achieve being carbon neutral, I'd love a pint of what you are drinking, its not going to happen

There you are, getting abusive again.
    Deflect, deflect and deflect.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    31 degrees in sunny Grangetown!!
    Edit: no vineyards though
    Hardly any bloody pubs either, Cardiff, outside the city centre, is becoming a latter day Temperance Town...........am I on the right thread? Have I had my tea?

Pretty sure David Cotterill has about 5 accounts on this forum judging by his latest tweet.

https://twitter.com/cotterill_david/...rQuKQZ2AQ&s=19

Pretty sure David Cotterill has about 5 accounts on this forum judging by his latest tweet.

https://twitter.com/cotterill_david/...rQuKQZ2AQ&s=19
    Everyone in the world is making themselves stupid by spending too long on the internet and watching nutters on YouTube.

Because you ignored it before, I'll ask again

What do you hear/see when you see the fact that 99% of scientists say this is happening due to man.

Do you not believe the 99% figure? I'm trying to understand how anyone can see that and just dismiss it as easily as you do. What's the thought process?
    From the links you provided. It's not 99% of scientists but 99% of those funded to do peer reviewed papers.
    Radio 4 today reported that the majority of scientists agree that climate change is man made. I wonder why they didn't use the 99%?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    There was a graphic on the forecast the other day which showed that the UK record temperature had only been broken 3 times in over 100 years.
    35.9c in ~ 1910, 37.5 in 2003 then 37.8 in 2019. However since 2003, the old 1910 record has since been exceeded about another 10 times.
    The next couple of days isn't a one off. Extremes are definitely becoming more frequent.
    I don't doubt we are entering a warmer period in the cycle. The question is whether the warming is induced by man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    I don't doubt we are entering a warmer period in the cycle. The question is whether the warming is induced by man.
    The answer is yes according to the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I'll take your world for it, yet it still looks like they are kicking the can down the road for a while, 52% of the worlds coal power station, while we in the UK sort out and recycle all our glass, plastics, tins etc etc , as I said, I can see how people look at china and think " why do we ( in the UK ) bother

oh and if you think China will achieve being carbon neutral, I'd love a pint of what you are drinking, its not going to happen
    have a look at that they are doing, it is absolutely massive their renewable capacity already exceeds 50%. they will do it I am sure.
    when they set their mind to something they generally just do it, like building the world's largest high speed rail network while we piss about over a couple of hundred miles of hs2 for 30 odd years.
    not sure how far India have got with it, but China are definitely doing their bit.

worth remembering as well that despite how massive China is, the UK I think has made more all-time carbon emissions, so we can't really take the moral high ground on this

can you explain in your words what you think the evidence for it being man made is?

I'll summarise for you - yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The answer is yes according to the experts.
    The trouble with 'experts' is they know a significant percentage of folk will believe whatever the say because they're 'experts'. Hence they come up will anything that suits their narrative, safe in the knowledge they won't be challenged.

From the links you provided. It's not 99% of scientists but 99% of those funded to do peer reviewed papers.
    Radio 4 today reported that the majority of scientists agree that climate change is man made. I wonder why they didn't use the 99%?
    What do you mean funded to do peer reviewed papers?

The trouble with 'experts' is they know a significant percentage of folk will believe whatever the say because they're 'experts'. Hence they come up will anything that suits their narrative, safe in the knowledge they won't be challenged.
    Challenge them then, what do you challenge them on?