+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Re: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Let’s get this right, I started this thread saying that it was being predicted that there was a fifty/fifty chance that the temperature in England would hit forty degrees on the Monday and/or Tuesday of the coming week. This was instantly seized upon and ridiculed by some of the “usual suspects” on here. There is now provisional confirmation that the forty degree figure has been exceeded, so I could say that by claiming there was a fifty/fifty chance that the temperature wouldn’t reach forty, the forecast was an underestimation, but what’s the point?
    Bpb, you're not down playing the facts though, or adding enough balance for Jimbo's liking. That obviously means that you're biased, have a one tracked mind and you let your prejudices get in the way of decent debate. Even though what you stated actually happened, it's fact. You need to sort yourself out

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Raining now in Brizzle. temperature dropping rapidly, down from 41 on my car reading to 33 already,
    I thought that the temperature was dipping and diving while driving my car recently, until i realised that i was looking at my speedometer.

Let’s get this right, I started this thread saying that it was being predicted that there was a fifty/fifty chance that the temperature in England would hit forty degrees on the Monday and/or Tuesday of the coming week. This was instantly seized upon and ridiculed by some of the “usual suspects” on here. There is now provisional confirmation that the forty degree figure has been exceeded, so I could say that by claiming there was a fifty/fifty chance that the temperature wouldn’t reach forty, the forecast was an underestimation, but what’s the point?

Some might think you were just being argumentative for the sake of it.
    Yes, but Lither also said this: My bet is that it won't be anywhere near as hot as predicted. and for the most part he's correct.

People don't have to be so fundementalist about it.

It's a record temperature, very likely caused by man made climate change, but the heatwave hasn't proven quite as severe as thought the other day.

All three of these things can be true.

You don't build faith in the science by ignoring that it got a prediction slightly wrong in this case. You build faith in it, by acknowledging that whilst still stressing the bigger issue, which is what I'm arguing.

This stuff matters. I was really worried about my house bound father the last couple of days. Where he lives, a temperature of 36c was predicted today. It is currently 25c.

It doesn't change the bigger picture, but they got the ferocity of it all a little wrong there. On other occasions they may underestimate the temperature, which also happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bpb, you're not down playing the facts though, or adding enough balance for Jimbo's liking. That obviously means that you're biased, have a one tracked mind and you let your prejudices get in the way of decent debate. Even though what you stated actually happened, it's fact. You need to sort yourself out
    I think I’ll just say yes you’re right and I’m wrong because this is clearly very important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yes. And the truth.

I'm just saying, it's a fact that Sheffield was predicted to be 41 and 43 and it actually was 35 and (it seems) 39.

Whats wrong with pointing that out? Some people were mocking someone who said the predictions may be a little inflated, when actually he was probably right.

I entirely agree with you on the science behind climate change, but you don't have to be an absolute fundemenalist about it. What was predicted the other day, hasn't quite come true. The UK has recorded a record temperatute, but not quite as high as we thought it may do.

Whats wrong in pointing that out? It's the truth.
    Because I don't see the point in being an absolute fundamentalist over the accuracy of the forecast for Sheffield.

I had a quick look on twitter and found this. Is this deemed acceptably accurate?

International

I thought that the temperature was dipping and diving while driving my car recently, until i realised that i was looking at my speedometer.
    If you hadn't been speeding you wouldn't have had to be slowing down !

I think I’ll just say yes you’re right and I’m wrong because this is clearly very important to him.
    It's for the best. Jim is very nuanced, fair minded, doesn't take sides etc......

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Because I don't see the point in being an absolute fundamentalist over the accuracy of the forecast for Sheffield.

I had a quick look on twitter and found this. Is this deemed acceptably accurate?

Depends, look at stornoway, that brings the average right down, and The Falklands is British territory, but nobody mentions them when they're working these things out. You also need to be more balanced, like Jim.

Yes, but also:

On sunday the BBC predicted 40c for London and 42c for Sheffield yesterday
    https://twitter.com/ben_rich/status/1548761133795926017

It actually was 37c and 36c respectively.

Very hot. Almost certainly caused by man made climate change. Not quite as hot as predicted.

All true.

Depends, look at stornoway, that brings the average right down, and The Falklands is British territory, but nobody mentions them when they're working these things out. You also need to be more balanced, like Jim.
    My uncle was off fishing in Stornoway today. Didn't take his jumper as he saw it was 17. Well bugger me, it didn't even get past 15 and he was out there for 10 hours.

Tamping he was, tamping.

Yes, but also:

On sunday the BBC predicted 40c for London and 42c for Sheffield yesterday
    https://twitter.com/ben_rich/status/1548761133795926017

It actually was 37c and 36c respectively.

Very hot. Almost certainly caused by man made climate change. Not quite as hot as predicted.

All true.
    So it's a problem that 40 was forecast for Monday, but it was actually 40 on Tuesday, and everyone who thinks "why is this guy James making such a massive deal about it" is a fundamentalist. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Clearly in this thread there any many who no matter the amount of hard evidence their lead infested brains which have had 30+ years of a daily mail diet will never ever change their minds on this.

Why is it if you ask for someone's views on climate change if they don't believe it you know instantly that they're tory voting brexiters. Again there's a huge link between education and all of these factors.

Go ahead and cry that I'm being patronising, snowflakes.
    Well, just because we couldn't afford private school education, you shouldn't hold it against us. And.... you shouldn't keep losing your temper. You know what it's a sign of..

Exactly. Thats my point. But others were saying anyone is wrong for saying they thought the reality wouldnt hit the predictions made the other day
    Do you ever get tired of being like this? You literally are adding nothing to this.

So it's a problem that 40 was forecast for Monday, but it was actually 40 on Tuesday, and everyone who thinks "why is this guy James making such a massive deal about it" is a fundamentalist. Got it.
    No, it was predicted to be fking hot..it is fking hot, but not quite as fking or quite as widespread as predicted.

As mentioned, I was concerned for my dad when we were looking at 36c today, it's actually the mid 20's there. It was baking yesterday, but not as hot today. That happens. Sometimes it goes the other way and they underestimate. It doesn't change the bigger picture.

My uncle was off fishing in Stornoway today. Didn't take his jumper as he saw it was 17. Well bugger me, it didn't even get past 15 and he was out there for 10 hours.

Tamping he was, tamping.
    That’ll teach those climate change fools

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being like this? You literally are adding nothing to this.
    Well what I'm saying is correct to be fair, but yes it is tiring, so I'll give up now, especially as it's so hot (but not quite as hot as was predicted) ;)

Well what I'm saying is correct to be fair, but yes it is tiring, so I'll give up now, especially as it's so hot (but not quite as hot as was predicted) ;)
    Thank God there wasn't a ccmb with you posting on it in 1987 when Michael Fish said there was no hurricane coming...

but then the climate change accepters have won

keep up the good fight

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

keep up the good fight
    What does this even mean ffs

Do you not believe in climate change? Why are all the dorks who voted for brexit like this

Thank God there wasn't a ccmb with you posting on it in 1987 when Michael Fish said there was no hurricane coming...
    Don't bring Michael Fish into this

It’s more wrong and pedantic tbf. The temperature reached record highs in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

keep up the good fight
    I can tell you're all excited at what you think is going on, but James is also a "climate change accepter"

Remember that World Cup Semi Final from 2014, Brazil 1 Germany 7? What we’re seeing this afternoon is the equivalent of someone claiming Brazil won actually because they had more throw ins

Climate change accepter ffs

Yes, I fully believe in man made climate change.

It just so happens that the predictions for this heatwave weren't quite as bad or widespread as predicted, and for some reason largely unknown to us all, on this very hot day I seem to have chosen this hill to die upon.

I am unsure as to why, but you are all very annoying and I'm overheated and all of you stink