+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Re: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

not as funny as when he quoted Croesy with his Croesy account not his Rudy account to agree with himself
    I’ll never get the multi account thing, it’s just bizarre. Some sort of mental illness perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ll never get the multi account thing, it’s just bizarre. Some sort of mental illness perhaps?
    It's just attention-seeking. I think they create multi accounts so they can reply to themselves and extend the thread. And so they can spout utter nonsense just to wind people up.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Aye, nobody would have probably noticed.
    In all fairness his attendance wouldn't have changed a thing. There are COBRA meetings all the time and they are normally chaired by the minister responsible for whatever the meeting is about. How you think the attendance of a PM that for the last 6 months everyone has been calling useless would have altered the situation I don't know. But I'd be happy for someone to tell me.

As a point of fact the great emphasis on COBRA as if it is something really really important was invented by the media.
    COBRA actually stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, as opposed to COBRB or COBRC. It's just another meeting room.
    That is not to detract form the acceptance that meeting taking place there are very often very very important.

This is not a defence of BJ but as the Labour Party and the remoaners in his own party have inflicted the damage on him they have been attempting constantly for 2 years, couldn't we please move on and pick on someone else, Maybe Krankie or Starmer, anyone new really?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    All attention is good attention, but you double or treble that attention with 2 or 3 multi and its. winner, even when people are thinking " what a knob " its still attention, but when they dont get that attention, they get more desperate for some and wildly attempt to lure people in

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's just attention-seeking. I think they create multi accounts so they can reply to themselves and extend the thread. And so they can spout utter nonsense just to wind people up.
    This is always my opinion, when 1 account isnt enough attention they have to use 2, you can spot the Multi's a mile off, they start by using a completely different persona but then slip into the old ways, I always feel a little for them, they obviously have something lacking in the " real world " so need more attention online, Ive joked in the past " it saves them being in town shouting random things at strangers and scaring old folk "

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    In all fairness his attendance wouldn't have changed a thing. There are COBRA meetings all the time and they are normally chaired by the minister responsible for whatever the meeting is about. How you think the attendance of a PM that for the last 6 months everyone has been calling useless would have altered the situation I don't know. But I'd be happy for someone to tell me.

As a point of fact the great emphasis on COBRA as if it is something really really important was invented by the media.
    COBRA actually stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, as opposed to COBRB or COBRC. It's just another meeting room.
    That is not to detract form the acceptance that meeting taking place there are very often very very important.

This is not a defence of BJ but as the Labour Party and the remoaners in his own party have inflicted the damage on him they have been attempting constantly for 2 years, couldn't we please move on and pick on someone else, Maybe Krankie or Starmer, anyone new really?
    The point was really the video of the fire not the COBRA meeting as I think should be pretty clear by how I introduced the post. Let’s not deflect, I’ve heard all the tried-and-tested explanations for Johnson skipping COBRA meetings before.

Why are all climate change deniers also brexiters? Weird that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I think in your drive for everything to be a binary opinion, with disney style right and wrongs and goodies and baddies you probably misplace many who are sceptical of some elements of it and lump them in with being a denier.

Nonetheless, you are wrong. Just a quick example:

Here's Jeremy Clarkson being a sceptic / mocking the heatwave in recent days
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-heatwave.html

Here he is backing the Remain campaign back in 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...campaign-video

The fact that many who so fanatically insist they follow the science and so willingly abuse anyone with even a moderately different opinion who then go onto make inaccurate generalisations probably only fuels peoples scepticism in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think in your drive for everything to be a binary opinion, with disney style right and wrongs and goodies and baddies you probably misplace many who are sceptical of some elements of it and lump them in with being a denier.

The fact that many who so fanatically insist they follow the science and so willingly abuse anyone with even a moderately different opinion who then go onto make inaccurate generalisations probably only fuels peoples scepticism in the first place.
    There are exceptions, for sure, but it is an interesting question, and one Ive thought about myself a fair bit.

Like why is someone who thinks that right wing economics are the best way to run a country also more likely to be socially right wing. There isn't an obvious link.

Then even within social issues there is a pretty large crossover between seemingly unrelated issues:

Brexit, Global Warming, trans rights, immigration etc.

I've read theories on this around acquisition of wealth. When a person becomes wealthier, their mindset changes to being defensive - not to lose what they have gained, and defending the society that they live in - that has allowed them to be successful from change. There have been social experiments that have showed that richer people can often act more selfishly - but it's not the selfishness that led them to become rich in the first place, it is a new trait that only appears after becoming richer.

Plenty don't fit into those generalisations I'm sure, but enough do for it to be a noticeable trend.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    People polarise their views these days, I would say the climate change deniers tend to be more likely to be antivaxxer’s and anti-establishment. They read the same email links and follow conspiracy theories.

They usually love bitcoin and follow the preachings of great reset.

Yes, he is.
    He's not. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There are exceptions, for sure, but it is an interesting question, and one Ive thought about myself a fair bit.

Like why is someone who thinks that right wing economics are the best way to run a country also more likely to be socially right wing. There isn't an obvious link.

Then even within social issues there is a pretty large crossover between seemingly unrelated issues:

I've read theories on this around acquisition of wealth. When a person becomes wealthier, their mindset changes to being defensive - not to lose what they have gained, and defending the society that they live in - that has allowed them to be successful from change. There have been social experiments that have showed that richer people can often act more selfishly - but it's not the selfishness that led them to become rich in the first place, it is a new trait that only appears after becoming richer.

Plenty don't fit into those generalisations I'm sure, but enough do for it to be a noticeable trend.
    Although I was largely jesting above, there are of course patterns, but it's not really that helpful to make generalisations, less still crass ones as Doucus did - again, if for no other reason that it puts people off the point he is making, which on this occasion I largely agree with.

Liberalism is an interesting thing; Being a liberal on the economy it makes you more right wing. On social issues more left wing, and on matters of govt control, generally more sceptical. But then the most left-wing societies (communist) are always far less socially liberal than capitalist countries. And a lot of centre-left people are convinced the uber-capitalist single market is right. Across the spectrum many people are sceptical of governments, the media or science/big pharma telling us what to do, or (perhaps more accurately) being told we can't question their authority.

Like I said, there are patterns that emerge; brexit was an act of rebellion for many and that same rebellion can more easily be applied to questioning the media, government and science, but it's far from an easy pattern. Take for example the parody of a stereotypical Labour Remainer many of whom thinks the media always lies and the govt lies and that the NHS is gonna be privatised and the govt wants us all poor etc - there is no more evidence to accurately question that than there is to question wherther climate change exists or not.

I do think we all have to be more tolerant of different views and try to calmly and rationally explain why we do or don't agree with them and try to not make generalisations as people are complex and everyone see's things from their own unique position. It's not always easy, we all fail at it sometimes.

International

It works both ways, some people want tax them more, so they can get a greater share of their wealth.

James is right it's wrong to generarilse there are selfish people in all walks of life, and people generally vote for what benefits them or their families the most.

Jeremy clarkson tweeted that climate change was real 2 days ago. He isn’t at all sceptical about it, he was just having a laugh at the over reaction of people on Twitter to the weather.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1549015974556336128?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I’ve spent my life working in extreme heat and we survived by having a beer under a tree. Climate change is real. Drink more beer.

People who are climate change deniers and brexit voters are a pretty big cross section on a Venn diagram in fairness. Not mocking them but it’s just based on where they get their news.

Same reason those who voted remain are more likely to believe in climate change.

Different media outlets will report the facts that suit them and their readership.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    People who are climate change deniers and brexit voters are a pretty big cross section on a Venn diagram in fairness. Not mocking them but it’s just based on where they get their news.

Same reason those who voted remain are more likely to believe in climate change.

Different media outlets will report the facts that suit them and their readership.
    Big part you're missing there is one side listens to science and can see through the lies of our billionaire owned media, the other does not/cannot. The side who listens to science are more educated as well.

Weird correlation that.

Yeah some forms of media are definitely more honest in how they present things. And some definitely have agendas.

International

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

That’s nonsense there is no correlation between Brexit and climate change, but there is between, bitcoin loving, antivax, Covid didn't exist, climate change is just for governments to tell us what to do, the great reset, and it's to do with where they get their news, and they aren't intelligent just anti-establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That’s nonsense there is no correlation between Brexit and climate change, but there is between, bitcoin loving, antivax, Covid didn't exist, climate change is just for governments to tell us what to do, the great reset, and it's to do with where they get their news, and they aren't intelligent just anti-establishment.
    Quite a few prominent brexiteers have been climate change sceptics

In this thread it seems a good correlation in fairness.

https://towardsdatascience.com/clima...t-8247a243d815

there appears to be a significant correlation

International

https://towardsdatascience.com/clima...t-8247a243d815

there appears to be a significant correlation
    2019?

Who's that idiot, a load of mumbo jumbo of made up nonsense

2019?

Who's that idiot, a load of mumbo jumbo of made up nonsense
    I don’t think anyone is saying everyone who voted for brexit is a denier but it’s clear there’s a decent cross over.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The point was really the video of the fire not the COBRA meeting as I think should be pretty clear by how I introduced the post. Let’s not deflect, I’ve heard all the tried-and-tested explanations for Johnson skipping COBRA meetings before.
    Yeah so have I. But people really need a new target now. I wasn't deflecting just commenting. Or isn't that allowed any more?

Yes, it's daft to suggest there is no link - inevitably patterns emerge when you split the country down the middle. Leave voters were more or less likely to be a great many things. Leaving aside the whole 'correlation and causation' thing, it's probably fair to say climate sceptics were more likely to vote Brexit. That's a reasonable thing to say. Insinuating all climate deniers voted Leave, or all Leave voters are climate deniers is of course not reasonable, and nor is it anywhere near correct. 25% of Green voters at the 2015 GE voted leave, so that's nearly 300,000 green brexit voters right there alone.

It's also worth looking into why. "The environment" generally is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as more of an issue for wealthier people, and wealthier people were far more likely to vote Remain than leave. Likewise, poorer people perhaps have more immediate concerns than the environment, and they were far more likely to vote leave so we are probably looking at an income thing more than anything.

What is more interesting is what leaving the EU can do for the environment. There's huge opportunities in that respect irrespective of how anyone voted 6 years ago.

Some interesting stuff below:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/0...voted-and-why/
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/h...-and-who-didnt

Yeah so have I. But people really need a new target now. I wasn't deflecting just commenting. Or isn't that allowed any more?
    To be fair 'Parody Boris' is likely to be a bit of a one-trick pony. From my point of view the sooner Johnson is removed from any important decision-making meetings the better.