+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Re: England’s first ever red warning for extreme heat on Monday and Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You still can’t drink water when driving though in whatever heat, you’ll get done fir driving without due care and attention. You can still pick your nose though if you like…..
    Phew, that’s my favourite past time so over the moon about that.

For those of you that have been affected by (in my opinion) the scaremongering in the media it looks like, for Wales, tonight will be a slightly warmer one, tomorrow a really uncomfortable night for everyone and then Tuesday evening will be cool once the thunderstorms hit.

More a heat nod of the head that a wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Not managed to read the rest of the thread but this has to be the stupidest comment in the whole thing.
    "Independent, critical thinking" has taken on a new meaning, quite different to what it used to mean, in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Phew, that’s my favourite past time so over the moon about that.

For those of you that have been affected by (in my opinion) the scaremongering in the media it looks like, for Wales, tonight will be a slightly warmer one, tomorrow a really uncomfortable night for everyone and then Tuesday evening will be cool once the thunderstorms hit.

More a heat nod of the head that a wave.
    It's not the media though is it, it's the vast vast majority of scientists.

I'll never understand people with no background in science think they know better than NASA, it's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    It's not the media though is it, it's the vast vast majority of scientists.

I'll never understand people with no background in science think they know better than NASA, it's incredible.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653822

Soon gets back to normal ….

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653822

Soon gets back to normal ….
    Was 40 ever forecast for Cardiff?

39 is still Mondays forecast for London

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I’m going to take a wild guess here, but is it possible that you don’t believe anything you’re told or you watch that doesn’t fit the beliefs you already harbour?
    Yes, you're right, a wild, wild guess. Just like a lot of what we're told to believe.

I don't get the resistance to these weather warnings. There are thousands of people out there who have serious underlying health problems, cardiovascular, lung disease etc. This extreme heat can kill them, as their bodies do not have the same abilities to regulate heat in the same way a healthy persons body can. It's not difficult. Yes, the news is full of it for a week or so, there is an element of overkill, and that reaction does seem to piss off our more right leaning members, who seem to make comparisons to their younger days, when if it was ridiculously hot, people just got on with it, and it never did them any harm. Why can't people just accept that extreme weather conditions can lead to people getting unwell, especially if they have underlying problems.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yes, you're right, a wild, wild guess. Just like a lot of what we're told to believe.
    I wish I was a liberated, free thinker like you. If I was, I could have believed Covid-19 was no worse than the average dose of flu, football could never be played closed doors, all of the professional clubs would go bust by Christmas 2020, everyone in the UK except for public sector workers would be out of a job by the beginning of 2021 and global warming is a myth.

I wish I was a liberated, free thinker like you. If I was, I could have believed Covid-19 was no worse than the average dose of flu, football could never be played closed doors, all of the professional clubs would go bust by Christmas 2020, everyone in the UK except for public sector workers would be out of a job by the beginning of 2021 and global warming is a myth.

Isn't it crazy how people seem to trot out this kind of bullshit, yet are found to be completely wrong and then still come back for more, like nothing happened!

Opinions. That's what they are. At least I refrain from personal insults, name-calling.

Would people prefer no weather forecasts, no science, no computer modelling based on years of data?
    Let's just go back to see if the cows are lying down, what date the first swallows are spotted and what happens on St Swithins Day, and deal with whatever the weather is like when we wake up on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Opinions. That's what they are.
    Bollocks. That’s what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Would people prefer no weather forecasts, no science, no computer modelling based on years of data?
    We'd be better off listening to our old nans according to this board's foremost expert on anything and everything.

Bit of an issue for me as both of mine are dead, but such if life.

lets compare to the 1976 heatwave shall we

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976...sles_heat_wave

in terms of health impact states an excess death rate of 20% that summer

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Let's just go back to see if the cows are lying down, what date the first swallows are spotted and what happens on St Swithins Day, and deal with whatever the weather is like when we wake up on the day.
    It’s odd isn’t it. Forget about global warming for now, if we have the facility to identify periods of extreme heat days in advance, why not take precautions to ensure that the most vulnerable are protected?

I saw in this thread that the temperature for London tomorrow was “only” going to be 39 degrees, not the previously predicted 40. Well, even 39 degrees is the highest the UK will have experienced since records began, so the likelihood is that those talking about the high temperatures of their youth have never experienced the sort of temperature some in England will endure tomorrow in their life (in this country anyway).

The oddest thing of all though is how annoyed the snowflakes on here get about the fact that people are being recommended to take precautions in the extreme heat

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s odd isn’t it. Forget about global warming for now, if we have the facility to identify periods of extreme heat days in advance, why not take precautions to ensure that the most vulnerable are protected?

I saw in this thread that the temperature for London tomorrow was “only” going to be 39 degrees, not the previously predicted 40. Well, even 39 degrees is the highest the UK will have experienced since records began, so the likelihood is that those talking about the high temperatures of their youth have never experienced the sort of temperature some in England will endure tomorrow in their life (in this country anyway).

The oddest thing of all though is how annoyed the snowflakes on here get about the fact that people are being recommended to take precautions in the extreme heat
    39 will feel much hotter in London. Yeah, these old farts who base everything on their own experiences, and how they got through it, so what's the fuss all about? They're the modern day version of those Victorians who moaned when Law was brought in to stop 7 year olds shinning up chimney stacks with a brush and scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is (or even if you have one), but if Wiki is accurate then the highest temperature recorded during 1976 was 35.9 degrees in Cheltenham on 03/07/1976.

The forecast for Cheltenham tomorrow is 37 degrees, and 36 degrees on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the forecast for London is 40 degrees on Monday and 39 degrees on Tuesday.

Ignorance is bliss. This weird climate denial is the modern equivalent of King Canute commanding the waves to retreat. Didn't he drown?

I'm not sure what your point is (or even if you have one), but if Wiki is accurate then the highest temperature recorded during 1976 was 35.9 degrees in Cheltenham on 03/07/1976.

The forecast for Cheltenham tomorrow is 37 degrees, and 36 degrees on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the forecast for London is 40 degrees on Monday and 39 degrees on Tuesday.
    Mozz is stuck in 1986, be gentle

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The weird thing is that people seem to want to draw comparisons with 1976 when the two situations are blatantly obviously different. 1976 saw a sustained heat wave which resulted in a drought. Nobody, but nobody has suggested that's going to happen this year. Indeed, rain is forecast on Tuesday and Wednesday in various places around the UK.

What is being forecast is dangerously high temperatures in some areas for a couple of days. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    and proud !

it was just a comparison as people have mentioned 1976 on here TLG

London had 16 consecutive days of heat over 30 degrees in 1976 whilst this week London will get maybe 3 days over 30 degrees . As an oldie on here i can remember 1976 and from memory very extreme

anyway looking forward to my usual run later today and Tuesday might lose a few more calories than usual !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976...sles_heat_wave

in terms of health impact states an excess death rate of 20% that summer
    I was going to mention Denis Howell. The ex football league referee must be the most successful government minister ever. As soon as he was appointed Minister for Drought the heavens opened

and proud !

it was just a comparison as people have mentioned 1976 on here TLG

London had 16 consecutive days of heat over 30 degrees in 1976 whilst this week London will get maybe 3 days over 30 degrees . As an oldie on here i can remember 1976 and from memory very extreme

anyway looking forward to my usual run later today and Tuesday might lose a few more calories than usual !
    Be careful you don't dehydrate. I went for a 10k run in the heat a couple of weeks back and it ****ed me. My vision was blurred and i couldn't piss for three days. As for the comparisons, well fair enough and all that, but the difference these days is that there is more awareness in every aspect of life, from work to general living, and it isn't a bad thing. Yes, it's overkill and sensationalist at times, but that's media for you now, it wants peoples attention now. I don't get this dismissive attitude towards warnings like this. Just because some of us old farts were killing ourselves in this heat in days gone by, it shouldn't be seen as enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that these warnings are complete bollocks. Be careful on your run, look for shade

3FFCB7F9-2EA6-44D0-A4F1-13CF989D7C65.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Was 40 ever forecast for Cardiff?

39 is still Mondays forecast for London
    I’m sure it will be fine in London , it’s only for a few days

Ever been to Dubai? it’s around 50 at times and notify bats an eyelid.

I’ve just been on a 30k bike ride … lovely in this weather